“friendly hotel on the sea front”
Review of Hotel Fame

Hotel Fame
Hotel Fame
Ranked #682 of 856 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“friendly hotel on the sea front”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at this hotel at short notice due to our booking being cancelled next door, Received a very warm and friendly welcome from Barry and his wife, the whole family had a great weekend stay there and breakfast was the best ever, Many thanks Gaz n Tracey.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
blackpoolbabe15, Owner at Hotel Fame, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Glad we made your stay as good as we did , we try to make all customers feel the same way , we try very hard to please people .... No it does,nt always work , but it is hard work pleasing everyone , you left a decent reply in our guest book and all I can do is say Thank you on behal of myself and hard working wife Lesley who has been doing this job for over 40 years . Thank You Again ...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel is right on the front with a great view.The staff were very nice and helpfull and the breakfast was brilliant. The room i was in was small but its only to sleep in. The bar and lounge is very comfy you can sit at the window and watch all the people pass by very relaxing had a great weekend and would go back

Room Tip: the rooms with the seaviews are a lot bigger and better
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank leone m
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I would like to write a balanced review about The Fame, however I am unable to. The reason I am unable to is because we didnt get to stay there. I booked two double en suite sea view rooms direct by telephone with Barry, one of the owners of the hotel. I left my card details and when I enquired if a deposit was required (some hotels do not), I was told that I did not have to, though they usually took a deposit.
I received a confirmation letter in the post not long after from Barry (which I still have) stating that the rooms were reserved but that they normally took a deposit though they were prepared to makle an exception on this occasion. I rang The hotel, again speaking to Barry to confirm seaview rooms and offered to pay a deposit but was told it was not necessary.
On arriving at the hotel after a 120 mile trip fri 21 Sep, we were met by Barry and Lesley in the bar area to be told that no rooms had been reserved for us, so I showed them the confirmation letter. On reading the letter Lesley informed us that the reason no rooms had been reserved was because we had not payed a deposit, it was as if it was our fault and they had no liability, the fact that I had been told twice that I did not have to pay a deposit seemed of no concern to them, we were told that that there was only one room available and there was nothing they could do. They offered no help and the only apology we got was a casual sorry as we left to fend for ourselves. All in all a very unfriendly, unhelpful couple who seemed to want to just get rid of us!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank IWalbyoff

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked the trip for my 60th birthday, a 3 night stay. I was advised that breakfast would be available from 8.15 until 9.30am. I found the management cold and unfriendly but as I did not plan on spending too much time in the hotel I let this pass without giving it too much thought. It was only highlighted to me when on day 2 (my birthday) my daughters and grandchildren came to Blackpool (and met us at the hotel) for the day with my pressents etc. they were not even given so much as a hello let alone offered a drink nor was I wished happy birthday even though i was brought balloons and cake. The whole meeting made me uncomfortable. During a forced conversation with my daughter the owner stated that he hated Blackpool - maybe this explains his attitude. On day 3 I arrived at breakfast at 9.15am to be told it was packed away. I had a drink but was not even offered a slice of toast. If it is a pleasant family Blackpool hotel u are looking for The Fame is not for you

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Cjones28
blackpoolbabe15, Manager at Hotel Fame, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
You arrived and were treated with the greatest respect , I have spoken to the owner about this reveiw and he remembers you very well , you walked in the following day without even telling me you had brought people in from outside never explained who they were [ that is aginst the rules of our insurance] anybody who is brought in from outside has to have permission from Management to be there , Why are we going to offer them tea/coffee when they were not supposed to be there , do you serve tea/coffee to burgulars in the area you live... we don,t.. if when I reach the ripe old age of 60 will it give me the right to complain about my treatment ,, The owner nearly fell of his very comfortable stool laughing at your comments ,Honestly I would love to see how long some of the complainers do this job , then tell me you accept all the stupid reports that we see...
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We arrived at this hotel after booking a last-minute weekend away. We were greeted (I use the term loosely) by a gentleman we now know as Barry who didn't bother to introduce himself. We were invited inside & then subjected to a tirade of all the woes of running a guest house! He informed us he'd just "got rid" of the last lot of visitors & now the next lot were arriving! He made us feel as if we were more of an inconvenience rather than paying guests. We filled in the info form & then happened to mention we were vegetarians..from the reaction we got I thought I'd made a mistake & announced we'd just landed from Mars! Lesley was then consulted & we were informed that she didn't "do" vegetarians. (We later discovered on here that several guests before us had encountered this problem & some of them were catered for & some weren't). We were then given the keys to room 11 & had to ask where it was when it became apparent that neither one of our 'hosts' were going to take us.
The room itself was tiny & you had to stand on a chair to see through the window, but the standard of cleanliness was ok. The mattress had had its day though & was not very comfortable.
Breakfast was a very silent affair, mainly owing to the fact that grumpy Barry was overseeing proceedings. We couldn't wait to finish eating & get out. The food was ok but the baked beans were cheap & nasty.
On the whole this hotel is run by a couple with absolutely no hospitality skills whatsoever. A smile or a 'good morning' occassionally would've been nice but it all seemed too much effort for this miserable pair. We didn't complain at the time because we felt intimidated. Instead we just spent as little time as possible in the hotel as we were just glad to get out! We didn't even want to ask if we could leave our luggage for a while after we'd checked out. We just left the key at reception & high-tailed it out of there, never to return!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LesleyfromManc
blackpoolbabe15, Owner at Hotel Fame, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
You arrived at our B/B 4 hours before your booking in time,[1pm] park your car free of charge , demand a room there and then as you are tired from your long journey [46 miles] the staff are still cleaning rooms , and you wanted a bellboy to carry your bags to your rooms , [not bad for a small B/B] you book the only room that is vacant , you went up , looked at the room and said it was perfect for you , You never once asked for veggi option as it is available at all times , you also asked for a front seaview room but were not willing to pay any extra, you eat everything that was available from our self-serve counter without complaint , we had people in from the USA and they never complained once , but this is becoming a habit with the Brits , complain and we will get something extra , [Wrong ] tell the truth about the B/B and you will be better thought of , but comments like yours are always taken as we see them ,absolute rubbish , we have our regulars who we show these comments too and have a good laugh at them ,
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Our welcome consisted of a demand for a surcharge of £20 although we had already paid in full via Expedia, unbelievably this con was only the tip of the ice berg. The attitude and manner of the owners was nothing short of dreadful, unwelcoming & RUDE would be an understatement. As we handed over our confirmation which was undeniably clear of both booking details & that payment had been made in full, it was merely tossed in the air as if a scene from Faulty Towers minus the comedy value. Take it or leave it was the option put in no uncertain terms, but NO we will not give you your money back! As a sign of good will and to put an end to the distasteful scene the owners were now putting on in an attempt to prize the additional £20 from us we offered to meet in the middle paying a £10 surcharge, after this the owners found it hard to even look in our direction for the remainder of our stay which was probably the cause for the room not being cleaned, bed changed or fresh towels. Please save yourself the disappointment and avoid at all costs!
It wasn't paying an extra £20 and to be fair the accommodation was clean to start with but manners cost nothing and if you are spending your hard earned money then frankly you deserve more. The owners will undoubtedly say we are either lying or that in fact this never happened, and if you do book a stay I hope our experience was just a 'bad day' for your sake but you couldn't pay me a 'surcharge' to return.

Room Tip: Book alternative accommdation
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ryan T
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Lesley and Barry were wonderful hosts and were only too happy to do anything to help.The room, which was a family room, was clean, and had plenty of storage space for all your holiday essentials.The beds were very comfortable and there was plenty of fresh towels etc. The hotel has a well stocked bar/lounge,that overlooks the sea, and as we have a 9 year old daughter, it was a great place to relax in the evening after a busy day sight seeing.The self service breakfast was absolutely gorgeous. The hotel itself is situated on the promenade so it was ideally situated for all the main attractions. will be booking again for next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family