“Just attended a wedding”
Review of Ruskin Hotel

Ruskin Hotel
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
“Just attended a wedding”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed here (room 306) for 1 night as my friends were getting married here. The room is quite small, very small actually, but spotless.
The meals were very good and the wedding buffet food was also good.
The bar area is good and there's lots of seating.
Overall it's been a pleasant stay and I would recommend anyone thinking of a hotel wedding to consider this place.
Oh, one last thing. Bar prices seem very good for a hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank Tom_And_Louise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I have worked with the staff at the hotel organising my Husbands surprise 50th birthday which was on the 30th July over the last year,as a family we have known and used the hotel as a base when in Blackpool for the last 12 years and for me there was no one else that I would have trusted with such an important event.
We had 152 guests of which 117 stayed at the hotel.The staff, the fabulous food, the oganisation and the friendliness were second to none, every need our party had was catered for and a lot of our guests are looking forward to returning for more of the Ruskins fantastic hospitality at a future date. It was wonderful and Thank you.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank gailawde357
West Yorkshire
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Upon arrival a porter was supposed to help with my bags, he ended up abandoning me in the lift and said he would meet me on floor 2 as the lift had a couple of other guests in it. Upon reaching floor 2 I ended up struggling with 2 large cases and 2 large bags on my own! The corridors were very narrow even though i had been assured that i would easily get my mums motorised wheelchair along them.Our room had three single beds (one for my elderly disabled mum)one for myself 40yrd old and the other for my 15yr old daughter. Where to start the window was filthy, the net curtain didnt even fit the window! The window didn't close. Upon folding duvets back they were stained. The towels stunk of smoke and were too small. The cleaners took my own bath sheet i had taken by "mistake" and it took from 4pm one afternoon to the following morning at 7.30 to get it back, the head receptionist seemed to think it was funny and what was my problem as they would wash it. It came back like cardboard and stunk of smoke! The bedside lamps were welded to the tables and one of the plugs only had 2 prongs left on it! All the sockets were ( wonky)not level and loose when you removed your plugs. We had no spoons on the hospitality tray and the cleaners didn't always clean them when we did finally get them.
The Breakfasts were self service, the orange was usually tart, the toast frequently cold the sugar basins always had bits in them. The evening meals were unsuitable for my diabetic mum so we ended up living on the rather basic self service salad bar! The restaurant staff were surly ignorant and argumentative.On one evening we declined the starters (nothing suitable as usual) and served ourselves the salad then had to wait for 20 minutes for plates to be removed and to be offerred a dessert. The waitress sloped over removed plates and said "well do you want a dessert today? " I then asked what was available (starters and mains were always listed on the table and also on show on a board in the lift but desserts were told to you nightly) she sighed loudly shouted to someone then mumbled through a list of what was on. My mum asked for egg tart , the waitress, whom I think was called Hannah though none seemed to were badges or tie hair back adequately (we had hair in our fried eggs on our last morning) actually slammed my mums dessert in front of her so hard the whole restaurant looked around! We were not the only guests who were subjected to the back chat and nastiness either. On the Friday night I had had enough and decided to leave early but could not leave until my friend could pick us up at 3.30 so we didnt hand our keycard in until his arrival . On that morning out room had not even been serviced! I brought all my own cases down whilst watched by a staff member and a duty manager who were standing in the doorway to greet a wedding. i heard the manager ask the staff memeber if i had asked for any help , (I hadnt after previous experience)when staff member replied not that he knew of the manager commented "well its her own fault then isnt it" (what a lovely attitude, now I know where the restaurant and reception staff get it from) I handed my keycard in and explained I was leaving early and began explaining why and the reception bloke immediately cut in "well you have to put complaints in writing" (the afore mentioned manager was dealing with another complaint at the time and turned and looked at me then turned away and ignored me!) I have never been made to feel so uncomfortable in my life. I paid £780 for what should have been a 7 night stay, i would never recommend this hotel nor would I stay at this hotel ever again. I feel more stressed upon returning than when i went for the holiday. other reviewers have mentioned noise we had people arguing under our room frequently at 2 and 3 in the mornings due to Rolys bar that is attached and owned by the Ruskin. We only went in the bar on the Monday and we asked for any J2o drinks and was told they had been busy with a function sunday and had none left at the moment, i went in again wednesday and they still had none!!

Room Tip: Just dont go to this hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
14 Thank jeanz8
South Wales
Reviewed July 25, 2011

As I enter competitions at the tower ballroom every year I stay in lots of hotels in Blackpool in 2011 I stayed in the Ruskin. As I arrived the staff were really friendly and the booking in was very quick (which is what you want after a long journey). As I waited for friends to arrive I sat and had a drink in the bar where the prices are very reasonable and again the staff are friendly. As my friend got lost on the way the hotel staff stayed on the phone to them giving directions untill they arrived. The rooms are very clean and quite big. There was a kettel, trouser press and everything else you need for a good stay. The food was excellent and there was lots of choice. The waiters were very friendly and professional. The only fault was the lift, as it didn't always take you to the correct floor. Apart from that the stay was excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms that are above the bar can get quite noisy at night as the bar is open to the public.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank BoanasBall
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Just had a fantastic weekend again at the Ruskin Hotel. We come to this hotel 3-4 times each year and have for the past 10+ years and the reason we keep going back to this one hotel is for the happy atmosphere, friendly staff, great food and great entertainment.

We took our 6yr old grand-daughter with us for the first time and she just can't wait to go back again and is already asking for us to re-book - this could be of course because she liked Coral Island and the Tower Circus which was absolutely fantastic.

We will probably be going back again in a couple of months as we find this hotel to be very relaxing and restful. Anyone visiting this hotel could not possibly be disappointed about anything the hotel provides.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Blue Riband room as bigger rooms
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank hootoh
North Wales
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We recently stayed at The Ruskin for a very enjoyable Cabaret Weekend. The food was excellent and plentyful, good accomadation and the entertainment was first class. The management and staff at The Ruskin are very friendly and welcoming. The hotel is only minutes away from The Tower, Promenade and the Houndsfield Shopping Centre.
John & Sheila B, Conwy, North Wales

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Johnhyp
Ayrshire
Reviewed April 11, 2011

stayed at the ruskin during grand national weekend, yes albeit the bedroom was a bit small but it was clean and comfertable, the food was fabulous and plenty of it , i can recommend it . cant understand why anybody could find fault with this hotel . location is right in the centre ,value for money ,excellent food, friendly staff and decent entertainment. well done the ruskin and blackpool breaks for including this hotel in their packages, will be back in june for sure.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple