“stag & hen”

The Holme Lea Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Holme Lea Hotel
Ranked #479 of 856 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Telford, United Kingdom
“stag & hen”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

my wife & I have stayed in many 5 star hotels, but I have now been twice to Mick's hotel but without the misses. L O L .Because I was on STAG does. Both groups of blokes went to B'pool to REALLY enjoyed themselves & Home Lea hotel was an EXCELLENT place to start.The rooms were basic OK. But clean. I'm a bathroom fitter & I must say the showers etc were lacking & looking tired, but functional. The décor was OK.but I was not bothered. The breakfast was Great both times. The BAR prices were below most pubs VV GOOD NEWS to us all. The state that most of the blokes were in when we returned at night, they would Never be allowed back in a 5 star gaff. oh , there was no mushrooms with the breakfast but loads of extra tea, coffee & toast which some of us really needed ; Mick was a Great host & that's what stag & hens need.
if I was to make a few recommendations to suit the staff & future visitors requirements they would be ........... one fixed price pppn in a two bed room, & one fixed price pppn in a three bed etc. deposit / returnable.. on every key. signs saying keep the noise down after 2 am or invite us all in your room..lmao. & check out time to be a bit later...........oh yeah....& mushrooms with breakfast & hold the fried slice lol I was the oldest of both bunches of lads & i'm so glad none of them were my sons. I drank like a fish.. eat like a hosre & slept like a log. that's what stag & hens should be like.
I think Home Lea was brill up north shore end of B'pool & recommend it for what it is .
So if you aren't going to make the most fun of it all.. DO'NT come to B'pool for your do..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kengreen460

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Luckily, we only stayed here for one night, as any more would have been unbearable.
The world (Blackpool) famous Mick "the braces" was slightly incapacitated with a broken arm, probably after falling down the Everest-like stairs. He was, therefore, not so engaging as expected from previous reviews on here.
As for the rooms and facilities, well there are prisoners with better accomodation !
There were 2 lots of old wooden bunk beds in a room no bigger than most bathrooms, with a small toilet/shower en suite. There was an everage sized old wardrobe and a small cabinet in the room. This was for 4 large men sharing the room, so you can imagine how cramped it was and how little room there was for everyone and their luggage etc.
The shower was barely a trickle of cold water on the hot setting without anyone else using it first or just a shower of cold on the lower settings. It was useless for one person, let alone 4 large men !
As far as sleeping in these rooms goes, I would strongly suggest if you do stay here that you get rather drunk in order to sleep, otherwise it would probably be impossible.
The rooms have to be vacated at around 10.30am (after breakfast) which isn't too good for groups who have been drinking heavily the day & night before !
It was also a considerable walk from most of the main Blackpool stag & hen venues. You would be looking at a good 30 min walk to get to the Pleasue Beach too.
At over £30 each per night, this accomodation was not good value for money and I would strongly suggest shopping around for something else and even paying more for better quality.
Most Blackpool accommodation will never be up to much, but there are limits to what's acceptable.
It is safe to say I won't be rushing to stay there again any time in the next 100 years.
If you are not very fussy and are just looking for a place to crash when pissed, this is for you.....

Room Tip: Pull a girl or guy and stay in their B&B/hotel for the night !
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trip A

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

beckycrayston83
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have just returned from a night at Holme Lea.
Mick "the braces" (owner) was every so friendly and helpful, and made the 12 of us very welcome. We were a bunch of ladies, from Sweden / Germany and England staying for a night out in Blackpool. I had read reviews prior to going, and must admit, was a little aprehensive. I shouldnt have been!!
Yes, the hotel is not 5*, but then again, for 28 quid a night B&B, you cant complain.
The rooms are basic, but are clean and tea/coffee making facilities are provided. Not all rooms are ensuite, but very close to your room, and for the amount of time we spent in the room, it didnt bother us.
Mick was a great host, making sure we had a good time, and introduced us to other "groups" staying in the hotel. The bar is also reasonably priced. you can bring your food back to the hotel, and can sit up all night in the sitting room should you wish to do so.
I dont know what all the complaints are about. At the end of the day, it is a hotel for stag and hens and groups, and you get what you pay for.
All in all, a great night, and would return to Mick's hotel next time were in Blackpool.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank beckycrayston83
West Midlands
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have been going to 'Mick's' for over eight years. We are a group of professional women who like to let our hair down at weekends. I first chose Mick's for my fortieth birthday as I was attracted by the fact that he caters for same sex groups. After all, you do not want a hotel full of screaming kids when you are away with the girls! We were not disappointed! Each time we have been we have met groups of like minded people who are all enjoying themselves. I have not heard one complaint whilst I have been there, unfortunately, these people to do not appear to have put reviews on here!
Mick has always made us feel more than welcome. Yes, we have 'the speech' when we get there, but every hotel has rules and it is best to make them clear at the start of the weekend. This is the time that Mick also hands out passes to Snuk and Syndicate. Unfortunately us 'oldies' rarely make it these days!
The accommodation is basic. We always request (and get) room 1 which accommodates six people, two bunks and a double. This just adds to the fun! There are no TV's in the room but there is one in the bar and the idea is that everyone meets here before (and after) going out to socialise.
I have always enjoyed the breakfasts. We had a laugh the first year when we were offered beans OR tomatoes, but now we get both! Although busy, Mick will always respond to requests for extra tea etc.
I would not go to Mick's for a romantic weekend with my husband, there are plenty of hotels in Blackpool with matching scatter cushions and beaded duvets to choose from if this is your preference! However, for a girls weekend in Blackpool, I would not go anywhere else.
See you next year Mick!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lambrinigirlnum1
Cambridge
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Myself and a group of freinds have been having a weekend away since 1999. The group in usually about 6 lads mostly now in our 40's who work hard and go away for the weekend to let our hair down and have a good drink.
Now Mick's gaff is not 5 star and does not profess to be. If you are looking for luxery with entertainment then look elswhere (for no doubt considerably more money)
Now if what you really want is good, value for money, no frills, well located accomodation with a good atmosphere - than Micks your man.
We have tried different places for a change, Prague and Edingurgh but both of these were nowhwre near as much fun as Blackpool, which for a lads / girls weekend has got the lot.
Mick lines up free passes for the nightclubs and cheap food at local Restaurants.
Last year he probably saved us more than the cost of the rooms.
Go there with an open mind, determined to make the most of it, and you will love it.
People who complain and moan about guest houses like Holme Lea are never going to enjoy themselves anyway!!
Roll on September 2011
Looking forward to having a beer (or several)with you Mick - line em up
Ron and the boys!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Eccleshall, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I came here on a Stag do from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning. I shall try to list all the positives first:
The hotel welcomes these stag, hens, away footy fans etc parties where many hotels don't. Other rules such as no food or drink in the rooms were not in force, so walking back at 4am and eating your kebab in the room was deemed acceptable. Great at the time but then it does show what the landlord thinks of his rooms...
Although the hotel is quite some way from the pleasure beach and other activities down on the front, it was only about a 5/10 minute walk to the night club Syndicate.
There is a bar downstairs to have a drink before you start the night off.

When you first arrive at the hotel, you are greeted by Mick the braces. He piles you into the bar, which is about as large as my porch, and explains the rules. He also explains why he is called Mick 'the braces' - this is due to him wearing very strange braces, and yes he does show you by lifting his shirt up and exposing his gut. You can tell he always does this as an intro to new crowds and expects a rowdy raw from the lads/girls ... but our party just looked at each other thinking 'what a tit'. I knew from that moment that I did not like this man.
Mick then put down the keys for each room on the pool table. He made this task more complicated than biological science. He spent about 5 minutes telling us that the locks are new and that these keys are amazing, they open the front door AND your own room - amazing, a key that opens a door, what's next, the wheel? Then he never said which keys were for which room number. How much does it cost to buy a key ring for each key with the number on it? In fact I won a couple of key rings on the 2p slots, I guess I should have donated them. So 14 blokes walking up and down stairs trying keys in every door was a fun start.

The rooms are very small, now it is a one star and you're not paying £2K a night - so what do you expect. Well I expect cleanliness; and each morning my nose was full of dust. The paint work on the skirting and doors are orange - need I say anymore, the bathroom door has no lock on it. Annoying little things like a white toilet and a green seat, grey basin stands with a pink basin ... you just get the feeling that Mick went to the nearest skip to kit these rooms out - cheers. The shower was terrible but at least it was warm. I stayed in the 4 room, which was made up with 2 bunk beds. Grown men sleeping in bunk beds, I thought that only happened in HMPS nowadays. There were only 3 large towels and one hand towel ... for 4 men. The mattress was not comfy and the duvet was old and didn't smell clean, the pillows were soft though.

Around the hotel some small maintenance had been done, a bit of re-plastering here and there, the skimming hadn't even been painted white to match the existing wall colour.

Some rooms are not en-suite, so be careful when booking.

Now this hotel is specially designed for stag and hen nights, the website states that clearly. Most of these parties will be drinking all night and won't arise until late morning; so serving breakfast in a 45 minute slot starting at 9am doesn't quite seem right. And on the leaving day, most hotels I have stayed in request you leave the room by midday, Mick wanted us out by 10:30am, again, not very stag/hen thoughtful I feel.

On leaving day Mick would not shut up about the keys, who’s given the keys in, where are the keys, who still has a key … I then heard him say ‘well if they lost any keys they’ll have to pay for new ones’. The way it was said, pure arrogance. 1) We hadn’t lost any keys, 2) If we had, we would have offered money to replace, and 3) You just had nearly a grand out of us all for staying with you, stop moaning. I don’t think £3 cutting a new key will hurt.

I myself did not have a breakfast but my friend did, he said afterwards 'even someone from the Auschwitz camp would have said no to that' I think sums it up quite well.

Last of all, Mick the braces would latch onto any girl in his bar and keep her there talking and boring the life out of her trying to impress her. It was embarrassing and showed Mick’s true colours of being a seedy old man.

Overall, this hotel isn't the best, it is a place to crash out after a heavy night, but Mick spoils anything that is good about it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
9 Thank Sammyf555
redditch
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Myself and a few friends travelled up tp blackpool 4 a get away.. We left quite late so we got into blackpool at abou half 10. Looking 4 places to stay there was all no vacencies. Then we came across this b and b our last resort. We took it. There was 5 of us. 2 girls and 3 lads. He gave us a triple and a quad room. Thinking 4 single beds, No!! 2 sets of bunk beds. He told us he would charge us £25 instead of £30 as its so late. Got into the room didnt look so bad.. started to look about. It stunk the bedcovers were grotty and had planks of wood underneath the mattreses. Stains all over the covers. No heating so was freezing cold. The bed i stayed in felt broke and lopsoded, Was very uncomfortable. No entertainment there. Not even a tele or radio in the room. All u had basically was a little manky tea and coffee maker and some grotty little glasses.. We didnt even dare to get up for breakfast. Its an ok b and b if your going ou on a mad weekend its somewhere just to get your head down for the night.. Would not recomend it to anyone else. He comes up in the morning to get you out at like half 10 and then we had someone else come up a few minutes later to get us out and we wasnt even ready dont really give you chance, We also had a group of lads staying in the same place. They all came back really late making so much noise.. Noise travels so fast through that place. They all was even smoking in the rooms and that.proves how much they though of it. There wasnt even free parking and you had to park the car about 10 minutes away from it. Was a complete state.!!! Never going back there again..

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends