“Couldn't fault it”

Ranked #20 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Selby, United Kingdom
“Couldn't fault it”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Just returned after spending a weekend on an all inclusive basis at the Claremont, we met up with some friends who we'd met the previous summer in Egypt, anyway although it was slightly cooler in Blackpool than Sharm, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the room was basic but perfectly acceptable & most importantly very clean, the food was superb, the drink package brilliant, the kids loved the swimming pool & the evening entertainment was very good, all in all an excellent weekend had by all, we'll certainly be returning at some point, way better than 2* rating!!!

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Matthew B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Sheffield
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We went to the Claremont Christmas 2012 and enjoyed it so much we rebooked for 2013 before we went home.The food was good both at lunchtime and dinnertime we couldn't fault it,so this year we had no worries about what our stay would be like.
What a differance a year makes, Ok we knew it was an old tired hotel, but the food . the entertainment and it being all inclusive counted for a lot.
Now we did try the lunch once,it was a bit like a free for all, but it was really bad. chicken thighs which are usually tasty, were the skinniest chickens I'd ever seen, all skin and bone, We didn't bother again as it was served other days and seemingly was just as bad.
Now lets talk about Christmas day ! I have cooked many Christmas dinners in my time , but at 70, I wanted someone to look after me, now our seats were in the sun lounge and very sort after, but on this day we would all have changed places with the people in the normal dining room, because their Christmas dinners did come on time, unlike ours. We had our starters then the waitress disappeared, we were all looking round at each other until someone did ask what was wrong? The answer was "we didn't do enough veg" well they'd had our money long enough to know exactly how many guests there were, then we heard " the veg isn't cooked yet" well the other guests had had their dessert and left?? Then we heard "the oven had broken down" We didn't know if any of these excuses were true because no one in authority bothered to come and tell us.
Then our dinner came, a slice of turkey covered in gravy that had set solid and cold, three sprouts about six carrot batons, one roast potatoe, two small new potatoes, no bacon, no chipalatas, but to add insult to injury half a sausage???? Good God I've never served half a saugage to anyone in my life!!
I found the manager Marcus, I asked him what had happened, he said why thats a normal portion? I said well I've waited an hour for this, and its not fit to eat so I left it on the side, I went back to my seat and another manager came Emma I think her name was, and she said the veg had took longer than they thought, I said how long does a spoon full of frozen peas take? she said they were not frozen, so I asked her if she yad sat and podded the peas then, and she said no thats how they came so I said Frozen then? she said no steamed? well even steaming doesn't take that ammount of time. After all this fiasco we went to try and get seat in the "ballroom" this was a riduculous situation people were carrting tables and chairs from anywhere they could, it was areal struggle to get a seat, In front of me a family finished up putting their chairs on the dance floor, when suddenly Marcus bounded through the door and shouted at one of these old men, he shouted " don't you ever walk away from me when I'm speaking to you, and don't ever tell me what to do, I'm the manager and no one tells me what to do!! I felt so embarrassed for this old guy and thought how lucky Marcus was that it wasn't a younger man, or perhaps that was the reason he spoke to him as he did.
I filled in the form which tells the hotel how much we enjoyed it, but thinking that it would never see the light of day I decided to send it to the owner, this proved rather difficult so I sent it to head office thinking it would go to the right person, well no it didn't it went to Marcus, who did admit the Christmas lunch was unacceptable, but he said I was so rude and insulting I;d upset Emma and I'd left her in floods of tears??
There was no offer of compensation at all, and it appears the owners don't read any complaints hence Marcus replied to me.
I have no idea what went wrong, but we payed almost £1000.00 for two of us for Christmas, so whoever the owners are, I think we, and others had a raw deal and that you should be looking at your complaints as you seem to be out of touch with your clients
MRS M.D,CROOKES

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Maria14Sheffield
Bury,Lancs.

Couldn't fault it !
The service was excellent, the food delicious and upgrade to a family room with sea view. could not have asked for more. Incredible value for money.
Only suggestion for the future - to consider ocassional no kids weekends !

Room Tip: Most twin rooms are bigger than the doubles
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Colin D
UK
Reviewed January 13, 2014

A large group of couples booked The Claremont for a post-Xmas / birthday bash.
This was the first time for some of us.
Having had a bad experience in Lytham a couple of weeks ago, we needed something extra special to perk us up.
We found this with The Claremont - it most enjoyable & excellent value for money.
After being lucky enough to grab a parking space, & a swift & efficient check in, we found our sea-view room.
This contained all the necessary & promised facilities: hairdryer, kettle etc, en-suite (albeit a little compact!) complimentary toiletries etc.
An information board in reception clearly showed the itinery, plus several information sheets in the rooms also offered advice, and reception never had less than 2 staff whenever I passed.
Our all-inc wristbands provided free pre dinner drinks, then after a quick shower & change we were shown to our dinner table.
Staff had gone to the trouble of decorating the table with complimentary birthday confetti, streamers & napkins.
The food/restaurant at all times - dinner, breakfast - was wonderful. Tasty. great choice. Piping hot plates, swift efficient service by pleasant staff.
The entertainment room next to the adjoining bar area was well set-out.
Entertainment by comedians & singers each night was very good. (Maybe those with small children could consider being moved into the adjoining bar area, when later-night comedy was clearly tailored to an adult audience?).
All the time staff were clearing tables of empty glasses. If a drink was spilled staff attended to it immediately & professionally.
Morning after - Rooms were cleaned & tidied whilst we enjoyed a full english tasty breakfast.
Free Tea, Cappucino, Coffee, Hot Chocolate etc is always available & very welcome after a cold day out.
I enjoyed a swim in the pool whilst there - again I found staff re-stocking pool towels etc.
Whatever department - Staff were always available, attentive and pleasant.
On check-out the bill was correct, Car keys returned & payment taken, all swiftly & efficiently.
Will I use this hotel again - Certainly.
Will I recommend - Definately.

Room Tip: Corner rooms nice & large. Sea view rooms not worth the higher cost.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TheDogsDooDahs
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

a large group of us went to Claremont hotel on 3rd dec-5th dec. All with young children, my self and my partner have a 3yr old and 16mth old, the whole stay was amazing. Rooms where clean and well presented, comfortable beds. The staff in the restaurant couldn't do enough for you, our waitress Jade was brilliant. All the staff were very helpful and polite, the swimming facilities were excellent for the children. Some of our group had visited before and go every year, this was our first visit and we will definitely be returning next year! all the food was amazing beautifully cooked and well presented, we had buffet breakfast, they put on fish chips and peas with desserts for lunch, you could also order other things for the children. My 16mth old was asleep when lunch was served, so I asked the reception staff to make a sandwich for her for when she woke up which was no problem for them. They also warmed up her milk (which I provided) on request. the night entertainment was good, I missed the Friday night due to my youngest being so tired. But the second night was good, a comedian from Bolton was on who was very entertaining, and as we are from Bolton we all enjoyed it! the play room for the children was also well equipped and fun for most ages. The only gripe with this was that in the soft play area for the younger children/babies there was a lot of mould and damp on the ceiling which was a little off putting! overall as a group we really enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning next year!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have used the Claremont Hotel Blackpool many times and for the second year running we had our Christmas break there. Once again we were not disappointed, the food was excellent and the staff worked very hard to make sure we had a great time. We cannot comment on the entertainment as we didn't use it likewise we didn't use the leisure facilities. We have booked again for Christmas 2014 as well as booking for breaks in February and April. Thank you Claremont for great holidays. Robert & Joyce Rowley

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert R
north west
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We have just stayed at this hotel for a Twixmas break. From start to finish it was excellent. The rooms were clean and serviced everyday with clean towels and the tea and coffee were replenished. We were give a table in the restaurant which was ours for the duration of our stay so this meant we were not under any pressure to eat at a set time which we found quite enjoyable. The entertainment seemed quite good but we preferred to sit in the lounge area and relax. The staff were very polite and dressed very smart We enjoyed our stay so much on leaving we booked for 2014 Twixmas.

Room Tip: Sea View are nice but other rooms are fine.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends