“Our annual weekend at the Claremont.”
Review of Claremont Hotel

Claremont Hotel
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Our annual weekend at the Claremont.”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My wife and I have just spent our third November weekend at the Claremont with some of our friends. As usual the staff were very friendly and helpful, the room clean and with a comfy bed and sea view. The food was up to its normal, tasty best and the service and presentation first class. We took eighteen of our family there in January to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary. Would I go again? Hopefully in November next year.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are best.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
Hawick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Booked this hotel for a weekend with friends really enjoyed our time there. The hotel is at an ideal location within walking distance to the peers and the tower. The hotel itself could of done with a wee coat of paint but it was clean, bed very comfortable, and the food was out of this world. Would I stay in this hotel again........probably.........

1 Thank Jane S
Scotland
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We booked this hotel for a weekend break, our first impressions where good we arrived just before 5 pm parking was troublesome but we found a space to the rear of hotel. We checked in and was told to go to the dinning room to book a meal time I did this only to be told no need to book your table is reserved and you can come anytime restaurant open you would think the reception would know this.
We went up to our allocated room 152 our trip to the room you could see this hotel is tired it needs some money spent on it, on arrival at 152 we opened the door to a tiny room every thing was there but this was not a double room it was a single with a double bed in it ( you can always tell only one chair) the room was dark I put the light on to find the window was small and had frosted glass ( like you get in a toilet) the bathroom was tiny in fact you could not sit on toilet it was to close to the wall the shower did not work properly it was not a nice room on the plus side the bed was comfortable.
We went down for dinner I was not expecting much but was shocked the food here is first class the chief has a signature dish and plenty of choice beside helpings where very large and it was filling and very good quality .
The bar prices where reasonable always a plus and the entertainment first class Just a pity the room let it down, so off to bed fed and watered I woke during the night to find people out on the flat roof Smoking they went out the fire escape the room was stinking of stale smoke I slammed the window shut think they got the message as they did not return on the Saturday night.
On my return home I wrote a letter to choice hotels about the room and the smoking I did get a swift response it was a standard letter and not a word about the smoking so I replied and raised this again to be told since the smoking ban they had problems with this and that was that.
So my advice is if you go to this hotel do not accept room 152 and you will get on fine.

I would have accepted the bad room if I had booked via a third party (i.e. late rooms or the like) but I booked direct with the hotel we paid there web price but the weekend still cost us £220.00 for two people for 2 nights I think the hotel treated us badly if I owned a hotel I would alway give the poor rooms to the 3rd party bookers and the better rooms to customers who booked direct .
So to sum up will I use Choice Hotels again my answer yes but not in Blackpool

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get Room 152
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2013

really enjoyed our stay couldn't fault anything, good food, service and entertainment, the only complaint is the artiste's are not on long enough (half hour) it seems they have been cut back this year.

• Stayed November 2013
Saint Helens, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Our stay at the Claremont was excellent and I would highly recommend it to everyone. Room was very good, bed was comfortable. Food was very good as was the service and the entertainment was good especially the comedians.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room no extra cost.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here 8 - 10 November for the weekend and had a great time. We checked in Friday around 4pm and our mini-break started:

Bar
The bar is great, Carlsberg cold/Tetleys/smooth on draft, plus all the main brands (Smirnoff/Gordons) on the optics. The area around the bar has a living room type of place where the sports are on (not SS1) and lots of seats, then there is the huge entertainment area that holds enough for the evening. There is also lots of window seats where you can take a drink and watch the world go by facing the sea.

Location
The hotel is located near the Tower and north Pier, its the opposite end of the Pleasure Beach but a tram only costs £2 or you can have a long walk along the prom. We found the location fine as being on an "all in" break we didn't fancy being out all the time. If you're a party goer it's also well placed for Syndicate and the better part of the nightlife in my opinion. We had the children so it didn't matter to us, but if we go back without the kids we'd stay here again.

This is where the hotel really comes into it's own. Usually at these big hotels, there is a type of "canteen" feel to it, but at The Claremont its a beautifully set out restaurant, dark in colour with lovely lighting. The hotel also has it's own chef with signature dishes and a great choice. There was a party of 14 of us so I wont go through all the meals, but I personally had a salmon starter and beef (chef special) for main on the Friday. Then the following night black pudding on a bed of mash followed by lamb for my main. I had a few glasses of red with this (it was lovely and not a cheap tasting one) as there is a bar at the back where you can get up and order. The staff are also running round taking drinks orders, but I thought I'd give them a break and got up myself. There is also white wine and beers in the restaurant.
The desserts are lovely, huge cheesecakes and different kind of afters.
For the Saturday afternoon fish & chips are on served with mushy peas, possibly the nicest fried fish I've ever tasted. I even went back and got a second fish, it was that good!
Breakfast is the buffet kind but constantly topped up meaning the food is very fresh. Coffee and tea as well as cereals are served. Absolute 11/10 for every meal we had!

Entertainment
Again, really good. They start with a kids show to get the little one's tired, it's usually a DJ and keeps them happy for a while. Then there's a comedian and a singer. The show finishes later on with a disco. Personally I found the kids entertainers OK, the comedians were funny but their jokes were slightly dated, although they do get the crowds involved and were good in parts. The singers were OK as well. The entertainment room has a great atmosphere and people really come together.

Staff
Again, excellent. The bar, the girls in the restaurant, and reception were some of the friendlest people we've met. It's a credit to the hotel that they've found people that take pride in their jobs. Our particular favourites were the restaurant staff who were ran of their feet, but still stopped, smiled, chatted, and were back with drinks or anything you needed within seconds. Thank you to everyone.

Rooms
The rooms are what I'd call OK, but fine where you're on an action packed break where you spend very little time in. We had 326 which was a room on the stairwell, but it was actually bigger than the other one's. The bathroom is small but just big enough, there is a flat screen TV and the beds were comfy enough. Was slightly disappointed to not have a sea view, but the family rooms are slightly bigger so it was not possible. Overall it just did us for the time we were in Blackpool

Extras
We found the swimming pool very handy to keep the kids entertained after we'd been into Blackpool on the Saturday afternoon. It's fairly small with a jacuzzi joined on. There's also a sauna room for the adults, with small changing rooms at the side. We found it a little bit strange that there was a family of adults sat boozing at the side of the pool while their kids swam, but not the hotels fault and I guess some people can't keep the away from the AI for an hour!
Car park is a bit hectic but the staff take your keys and park them in the overspill at the back.

Overall, great for adults and kids alike. Fantastic stay and we'll be coming back in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed with a friend for 5 day all inclusive break. Brilliant value for money, The food was good ,plenty of choice at breakfast and dinner. The lunchtime menu could be more varied, soup,salad and a hot choice every day BUT nothing to go with the salad. Maybe some ham chicken etc. Apart from that it was all good food and service.
We went to the cliffs every day to use thier gym as the claremont doesn't have one but has a lovely pool,sauna and jacuzzi which isn't used much so most of the time you have it to yourself!!
Entertainment every night was good Must give a special mention to Ryan the compere he was brilliant, so funny and different every night, would return just to see him !!
The bar service and drinks were very good, and lovely comfortable area to sit and have a chat and drink. All the staff are helpful and can't do enough for you. We couldn't get an appointment with the beauty spa when we wanted it so Kate the receptionist reccommended one for us which was brilliant.
All the staff work very hard and although the hotel could do with updating in some areas it is very clean. I will go again with my husband for an all inclusive break.

4 Thank Tina-r8