“Avoid at all costs”

The Residence Hotel
Ranked #824 of 864 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I literally cannot express my disappointment enough at how awful this place was.

The positives: Breakfast was okay, prices were fair, and I didn't catch any horrendous illnesses from the highly unsanitary conditions.

The negatives: Everything else. Everything.

Walking in to my room, which I can only assume Mike thinks is a tardis, I was horrified to find 2 small beds crammed in to the tightest space ever, meaning a friend and I might as well have been sharing a double bed. There was a sad looking wardrobe in the corner, that I wouldn't have dared risk storing any clothes in as even the woodworm were refusing to live there. The kettle was safely stored on a shelf above one of the beds - which is fine if you enjoy waking up to a good scalding, which I unfortunately do not. When boiled, there was also a distinct smell of urine, so I can only assume the previous guests had urinated in the kettle, and that this had not been noticed.

We'd read that there were TVs in the rooms, but this was not the case. The bracket and wires were still on the wall, so I can only imagine the TV threw itself out of the window wanting to escape the awful confines of The Residence.

Now the beds - Oh my. The bedding wasn't filthy, but certainly wasn't very clean. Perhaps the cleaning budget had been spent on the horrible collection of antiques sat in the bar. The mattresses were solid, and I can only imagine that they were either filled with concrete, or lead piping. Worst night's sleep I've ever had, even when having to spoon with my friend in the adjacent bed.

The bathroom - Toilet was leaking, and generally smelt awful. Shower was about as useful as being stood under a watering can, and just as warm.

I know I'm being very negative, but I have nothing positive to say about my stay at the residence. Avoid this place like the plague, although contracting that would be more satisfying than ever setting foot here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pete1986
ResidenceBlackpool, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Very disapointed that NO COMPLAINT of any kind was made during their stay. All our bedding is laundered by a contract laundry company after every guest has left, so it simply untrue to say that the bedding was not clean. The toilet in the bathroom is not leaking and we can only assume that the water on the floor was from the guests coming out of the shower. We always have a good supply of hot water, so there is no need to have a cool shower.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

had a wounderful stay at the residence couldn't be more helpful, even blowing our tyre up before we left. spent two nights there and would definitly be staying there again. breakfast was excellent, mike chris and there family are lovely warm and friendly

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Spent a very enjoyable 3 nights here, Mike & Chris are very approachable, excellent breakfast....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
ResidenceBlackpool, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed at the Residence back in September last year for my stag do, and it made for a superb time. So, when my friends, and I decided on another weekend in Blackpool, I had no hesitation in booking so stay here again.
Once more, our stay was comfortable and welcoming, and it made for another enjoyable, in fact brilliant weekend.
Again, Mike was very good at responding to my many email questions beforehand etc.
As organising a weekend away with 7 other guys, can be stressful, this made it a smooth process.
We paid £30 each per night which is good for what you get.
It's a place that welcomes stag and hen dos (many don't believe it or not) and both Mike, and his Wife are very friendly. And that's where this place excels with good customer service.
They are attentive and friendly and make you feel at ease, without being obtrusive.
Believe it or not we've recently stayed at a 4 star Hilton Hotel, which shall remain nameless for the time being until I've written my review, and although yes, it was very plush and the rooms were better, but the service we received there, was much poorer, than what we got at the Residence.
The location of the Hotel is perfect, right near the centre, but also away from all the main bars and noise, so you can get a good night's sleep there, even if you spend most of the early hours living it up in the town centre like we did!
To sum up, we would definitely stay here for a third time, if and when, we return to Blackpool.
Thanks again Mike for a helping to make for a top weekend.
Chris.

Room Tip: Room 4 or Room 7 if you want a comfy double bed :)
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
ResidenceBlackpool, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Thanks for your lovely comments. We look forward to seeing you and your friends again soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Aside from the young lady helping us with our breakfast order and being able to park (somewhat safely) off the road, the hotel was very disappointing. On arrival the manger was very pleasant, checking us in and giving the room keys etc. However when hearing him abuse and shout at someone else in the hotel at 4 in the morning our opinion was quickly changed and as a group on 18-24 year old women we spent most of our stay worrying! The hotel has been reviewed by others as suitable for stag parties etc, but as a touring team we were more than aware that there may be some noise at early hours, but did not enjoy the 5am fights, shouting and parties elsewhere in the hotel. The rooms, although clean and able to be put up with, are labelled as 'smoking allowed,' but may as well state that it is openly encouraged, regardless of being against the law, as the whole hotel smelt strongly of cigarettes and often drugs most of the day. Not an enjoyable stay to say the least...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elli P
ResidenceBlackpool, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

We are sorry that the girls found their stay disappointing, however we do need to set the record stright. There was a disturbance on the first night the girls arrived, because people not registered in the hotel were allowed into a room by other guests. These people then tried to steal items from the guests, and when asked to leave became noisy and aggressive. The police were called, as we wanted to ensure the safety of all of our guests. The next morning we did apologise for the disturbance to the leader of the group of hockey girls and no further incidents occurred during their stay. As clearly stated on our website we do cater for groups, stags and hens - and the bar can be open up to 6.00 a.m. We do have (legal) smoking rooms available, and in accordance with the law, smoking is only permitted in 'smoking allowed' rooms and not in any other rooms or hallways within the hotel (again as stated on the website). We were also disappointed that no complaints of any kind were made at any time during the girls stay at the hotel. As always if we had been made aware of any issues we would have done our best to put things right at the time.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I stayed at the Residence with 9 of my friends on my stag do at the end of September.
I have to say Mike could not have been more accomodating.
He was quick to respond to my many email queries beforehand,
and was very flexible with the booking amendments I had to make leading up to our stay.
Organising your own stag do isn't easy.
Him and his staff made us feel very welcome during our 2 night stay. and helped to make for a great weekend.
I admit I had read the negative reviews beforehand, and was a little concerned, but needn't have been.
I must say some of the reviews on here are very unfair. We all had a really enjoyable stay.
Ok, it's not the Hilton, but it doesn't pupport to be, and for the money it was very good value,
and definitely on par with the other similar accomodation in Blackpool.
We paid between £25 and £35 per person per night depending on amount of nights/sharing etc,
and we all got a full English breakfast each. The breakfast was ok, and toast and tea/coffee was available too,
and plenty of orange juice, which is always good after a night on the town!
The rooms varied from what I heard. The single rooms are very small with the beds right next to each other,
but the rooms are all ensuite, and all of the guys who were in our party, said they were clean and fine for the money.
I was pleased with my room, it had a double bed, wardrobe, sink and flat screen tele with built in dvd, and a bathroom
with toilet and shower. The bed, I have to say, was very comfy! The decor was decent as well.
The bar and restaurant area was nice, and the bar seemed well stocked and prices were affordable.
The location of the hotel is a few minutes walk from the back of Coral Island and close to all the attractions of Blackpool.
We even reserved parking at the front of the hotel, which was very convenient for us.
I would say this hotel is well suited to stag/hen parties or couples.
We all felt very comfortable here, and would definitely stay here again, should we come back to Blackpool.
Just want to thank Mike and his staff for helping to make my stag weekend a big success. Had a brilliant time.
So, give the Residence a chance, Mike is refurbishing and this takes time. We were certainly made to feel welcome here.
Thanks.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
ResidenceBlackpool, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2011

Thank you for your review. We are trying to improve all the time and appreciate the time and trouble you have gone to in writing the review and we hope to welcome you and your friends again soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Pleasurable stay; hospitality second to none, return twice a year and rooms are always being updated. Breakfast served at suitable times. BB is renouned for being a stag hotel yet my children were more than fullfilled to spend a weekend during the illuminations. Mike and Chrissy...keep up the good work and we will see you next year. Zoe

• Stayed: November 2011
ResidenceBlackpool, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Thank you for your review. Always a pleasure to have you and your friends stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in 2012.