All reviews great hosts toast cereal bars kingsize bed my partner place to stay ironing board very pleasant stay full english little gem two night stay location is ideal black pudding feel very welcome this lovely hotel choice of cereals stayed here for nights
Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

Clean and very nice decor. Spacious room and very comfortable bed. Breakfast is good and great staff. Easy access to winter gardens and shopping. Staff kept hold of our belongings till it was time for our train even though we had checked out. Couldn't fault this b and b. Excellent service and would recommend it. Price was great too

Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2017

We stayed at the Abbey Lodge Blackpool from the 19th to the 23rd of June this year. Upon arriving, I was not greeted by the owner. Instead, a woman who worked there took our Groupon booking and showed me and my partner up three flights of stairs, even though I had explained to the owner that I am disabled and suffer peripheral neuropathy, which inhibits my movement. I did ask the woman whether this was the correct room or not, and she said it was. She followed this up by making a clear point that Groupon customers only get a continental breakfast (which mainly consisted of dry croissants, only available from 9:00AM - 9:30AM).

The room we were placed in on the top floor, the Apsen, should be avoided at all costs. It was especially difficult to get to with my disability and no lift access. My partner, who has artery disease, had to carry our luggage up and down the three flights with no assistance (the woman at the reception did offer to help, but mentioned having a bad heart; we received no help from other management).

Needless to say, this did not make a good first impression. I have stayed at many places in Blackpool in my life, and this was the first time I was made to feel this unwelcome. Based on previous reviews, I assumed that I would have no problem using a Groupon at the (barely-staffed) Abbey Lodge, but from the moment that management knew I was a Groupon customer, I was treated as a second-class citizen.

With regards to the quality of the room itself, there were many issues here as well. The lamp shades seemed at least 20 years old and were collecting dust, and there were stains on the skirting. The bathroom, which had rust on the towel rails and a broken light cord, exuded a bad smell throughout the duration of our stay. The drawer unit at the side of the bed was also very unsafe; if you tried to open more than one drawer at a time, the whole unit tipped forward. This happened to us without warning when I had hot tea placed on the unit and it spilled everywhere. I informed the manager about the issue and he was not very polite, more concerned with having to change the bed linen than whether I was uninjured. Any other issues I brought to management throughout our stay - such as needing a lighter quilt due to the heat, or needing access to the locked waiting lounge while waiting for a taxi - were regarded with general disinterest. Even leaving the Lodge was an unpleasant experience. We were told that we were about 20-30 minutes late leaving on the final day, but we were trying to take a shower after clearing out the smell from the drains. No consideration for our disabilities were taken into account.

I will not be recommending this location to family or friends visiting Blackpool. As mentioned, I have stayed in the city many times, and if this is the quality of a “deluxe room”, I would hate to stay in standard lodging. At this rate, Blackpool will lose visitors, which is a shame as there are still many entertaining attractions, such as the Winter Gardens and The Sands. The poor quality of our stay ruined our whole holiday, and I would not recommend it even if you get a significant discount on your accommodation.

Steer well clear!

Room Tip: Stay away from the top floor and the Aspen room.
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
AbbeyHotel, Owner at Abbey Lodge Blackpool, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

Oh Gracie, how I've been waiting for your review/ It seemed from the moment you arrived you were gonna make everything someone else's problem. I don't think in all my years I've actually met anyone like you. On arrival, the lady that worked there (my 75 yr old mother) welcomed you into the building and explained what time breakfast was, and offered a cooked breakfast for £4.00 which you said you didn't eat breakfast and wouldn't be down for it. true to your word, you never came down So how do you know the croissants were stale I don't know (we buy them in fresh each morning and it's not the only thing served on the groupon breakfast). My mum showed you how to use the automatic lock on the security door. I was the one that took your cases to your room. at no point did you mention you had a disability, not when you checked in or when you made your booking. it was on the second day you informed us that you had a neurology condition. You came down in the evening and asked for a taxi, which was called for you. you returned in the evening and told us all about your evening, we were sat in the garden as we were in the middle of a heat wave. you didn't come down for breakfast but I saw you as I was hoovering the bedrooms. you approached me and asked if I was the manager, which I said yes, you started to say that your room was far too hot and literally accused me of being my fault and what was I gonna do about it! I offered you a tower fan, a desk fan and you already had another fan in the room, I'm neither God or Micheal fish, I can neither control the weather or predict it! When we entered your room to clean it, it was like walking into a wind tunnel. there was no smell of drains, just the overwhelming smell of skunk cannabis. your room resembled a teenager's bedroom, there was just mess everywhere. even though we provide you with a bin in both the ensuite and the bedroom, you chose to leave your rubbish on the sides and the hospitality tray covered in used wrappers and tea bags. We found your room to be in this state every morning, considering you say we were under staffed, we cleaned your room every day, this you fail to mention this. you never used all the facilities in the suit, you used the shower cubicle to store your suitcases, and never used the towels so I can only presume you never used the sink either (4-day stay) You say we are understaffed??? a 10 bedroomed B&B can be run by one person, we have a cleaner, myself and Dean and also my mum helps out, the same 75-year-old woman you expected to cart your heavy luggage up the stairs, your 25 years younger than her! You say you were treated like a second class citizen, we treated you the same as everyone else that we had staying. it wasn't a B&B you needed it was a respite facility! On the second morning of your stay (yet again you didn't come down for breakfast) you approached me as I was cleaning the rooms and said you had knocked a whole mug of tea into the draw and that you had removed the drawer full of tea and placed it directly onto the bed to clean it out and the tea had soaked through the duvet pillows and the bedding, i wonder if you would have done this in your own home? doubt it. who would do this? I never complained, I said I would change your bed when I came to do your room tidy, at no point did i mention that I was concerned over the bedding, I told you not to worry about it, you seem to hold me personally responsible for what you'd done. I entered your room (yet again it was trashed) I changed your bed, you had saturated it with tea, it was everywhere! and there it was again, the overpowering smell of home grown weed. I saw you later on that day, you took the opportunity to have a bash over how hot your room was, you went to lecture me on how the building was making your room too hot. I pointed out that Britain was in the grips of a heat wave, Phillip Schofield had taken to Twitter the night before to say the heat was insufferable! no no no, it must be my fault and you demanded a flat sheet, i said we don't use flat sheets, we only use fitted. at what point you thought my answer didn't suffice I don't know, at the end of the day you had 3 fans in there and one was a high powered tower fan. Kate Bush could of recorded the video to withering heights in there. You managed to spill some kind of glue product all over my carpet! On the day you checked out it was 12:30 when I knocked your door to enquire what time you were leaving, you proceeded to start lecturing me again and generally trying to condescend me that I'd actually give up. (check out is 10 am) I was stood there with the cleaner, waiting to clean your room. You threw your cases onto the landing ripping my wallpaper as I stood there, as you passed me, you said to your husband very loudly "don't expect any help". so yeah, I actually thought "don't". in all my years I don't think I've ever come across such a character as yourself, and I hope I never will. When you departed, my understaffed team gave a sigh of relief and we just laughed. sometimes people want more than you can give them, they turn up at your door and expect it answered with someone with a silver spoon in their mouth and a towel draped over their arm. Whatever you paid for your room, I can honestly say it wasn't enough.

Reviewed June 28, 2017

The Abbey Lodge is a great place to stay when visiting Blackpool.
Close to the Promanarde and all the entertainment venues, all within walking distance.
Steve & Dean along with Pat are very friendly host that run a great B&B. Lovely decorated rooms plus Steve cooks a mean Breakfast.
We love staying here, this is our 3rd visit and we come all the way from Australia.
Would highly recommend Abbey Lodge to anyone looking for quality accommodation in Blackpool.

Trev & Mary. Perth Australia.

Reviewed June 25, 2017 via mobile

Booked through Groupon as a child free couple of days away and found this small b&b to be a little gem of a place. As it was Groupon the deal came with continental breakfast included which was more the enough to see you though to lunchtime. Rooms are very tastefully and newly decorated and include hairdryer,iron, ironing board extra portable radiator and portable fan. Steve and Pat were great hosts and we were made to feel very welcome. We will return hopefully later in the year.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2017

Booked through Groupon after reading good reviews - and I am so pleased we chose Abbey Lodge!

Upon arrival we were greeted by Pat who gave us a very informative introduction, directing us to our rooms and answering any queries.

At first when we entered the room, we noticed there was no hand soap, shampoo, conditioner or biscuits which was suggestive of the room just not been correctly replenished after cleaning. Unlike most it seems, this is not a big deal to us and we did not make a huge fuss, just popped downstairs and mentioned it to Pat who apologised and gave us what we were missing.

Although we did not drink at the bar the bar area/lounge space was lovely and cosy and a great place to meet other guests.

We were offered a continental breakfast as part of the Groupon deal and it specifically states this in the Groupon voucher if people actually take the time to read it before complaining ...

and it was a more than adequate continental breakfast, more than enough to keep you going until lunch time; they bring over toast and jams, croissants and pain au chocolat and hot drinks and you help yourself to cereal, cereal bars and fruit. Although we didnt eat the cooked breakfast it did seem really good, so much so that they have regulars come in for their brekki.
The only minor (and i mean very minor) thing i would say about breakfast is for the amount of crockery, cutlery, cups, sauces, jams etc the tables just dont seem big enough! but with a bit of moving around, you can find the room and its more than adequate.

As we were only there 2 nights we put the 'do not disturb' sign up to save them wasting time cleaning it, however it seemed like the rooms were cleaned every day including fresh towels if you stipulated for them. We found the bed was comfy and we had good nights sleep.

The staff were very accommodating and friendly.

We must say a huge thank you to 'Nanna Pat' she was absolutely lovely! Made us feel so welcome and we got on extremely well with her. The stay would certainly not have been the same without you been there, and we hope that the next time we stay over at Abbey Lodge you will still be helping out! Take it easy, dont work too hard!

Thank you again for a lovely stay, and we definitely would stay again (in fact, we are looking forward to it! might even treat ourselves to your lovely cooked breakfasts!)