“Illuminations Break”

Ranked #70 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Illuminations Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

First off I only review a Hotel if i like it, if I don't like it, I don't review it. I work away from Home most of the year and stay in Budget Hotels in the south, a very basic B&B in the south would be £50 at least a night so reviews in the North are based on my perceived value for money if i'm paying £38 a night for a 3/4 star hotel half board with entertainment you wont find me winging that i had to wait 5 mins at reception. I stayed at the metropole last September in a newly refurbished room the staff were friendly and efficient the meals were plentiful and tasted home cooked plenty of things to do in Blackpool. The best recommendation i can think of is that I am returning this September for 5 nights for a break. gym and swimming facilities can be used at the sister hotel the Norbeck Castle close by.Buy a weekly tram/bus travel card online in advance, it cheaper!

Room Tip: When searching for a room look for entertainment breaks it is half board with evening entertainment...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

I was delighted to read that your found your room and the Hotel to be clean and tidy and the staff to be helpful and friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,250)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay and was left a bit under whelmed. I no this is not your all modern singing and dancing hotel but that doesn't mean they can't keep it clean. Room was clean in a fashion but carpet was covered in stains. Bathroom seals were mouldy and black although the jacuzzi style bath was a bpnus. Staff were pretty regimental apart from Mark in the restaurant who really looked after us and sort of made the most of the measly offerings that were classed as meals. Hotel is in need of a refurb and until then I won't be returning

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank aid1410
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was pleased to read that some aspects of your stay were positive, though disappointed that you found other areas that were not to your liking.

We do value all feedback and use it when doing re-training.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Metropole at some time in the future.

Corby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Hello Hotel Hunters My wife and I stayed at this hotel once again 24 25 26 July This time we opted for a sea view room a bit more expensive but worth every penny.The room was nicely decorated and spacious with a nice bathroom and Jacuzzi bath lovely.This hotel gets a lot of bad reviews but you get what you pay for .We stayed here last year with a room facing the road a bit noisy if you left the window open .We stayed on a b/b basis that's when it goes downhill I had porridge for breakfast one morn disgusting it was one like a bowling ball in a bowl .My wife seemed to enjoy her breakfast but I think the toast must have been there all night .This place looks a bit tatty inside and out and could do with a good window cleaner so come on Britannia pull youre finger out and spend some money on this lovely building.Ps if any of you like to eat Chinese food theres a nice one across the road called Mayflower beautiful food cheers .

Room Tip: B.ook a sea view room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paulmcgregorcorby
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013

Jarrow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I bought a deal from KGB for this hotel and used it on 27th July. We paid £99 for two nights, breakfast and evening mean at the Metropole Hotel in blackpool and paid the extra £20 for a weekend stay. I want to say how disappointed I am with this hotel. When we first arrived and was given our room key we went back down to the reception and asked to be moved rooms as the room we were given was dirty and only had one towel between the two of us.

When we moved to our other room we took the towel from the 1st room to the other room as this room only had two towels and I wanted to start enjoying my time in blackpool not spend it at the reception desk complaining.

I have to stay this room was not much cleaner either. There was stains on the carpet and the bathroom wasn't the cleanest and to tell you the truth the towels weren't exactly clean either.

We had our tea time set for 6.30 we went down and got a drink before going in for our food and to tell you I don't know why we bothered. The food was disgusting, there was only one choice of main meal and one choice of soup. The main meal didn't even have any signs informing you what the food was and to tell you to this day I still don't know. Should we say both me and my partner never ate it and walked back out. On the way out of the restaurant one of the waiters said "you's weren't in long". We replied back with "the food was not to out taste". He replied back saying "don't blame you, I wouldn't eat it, its not the best". That really says in all if their own staff are complaining about the food. We did not end up going for either our breakfast or last meal as we heard people complaining also about the quality or lack of.

What else can I say about this hotel, there was a smell all the time of raw meat. There was food on the floor in the lifts just left there for the weekend we were there.

Should I say I would not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JeanLM1980
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff were very friendly and helped us with any questions we had, the rooms were average and would have liked a better view (had a small window looking over a street full of pubs and drunk people) but overall it was OK. The restaurant was lovely in my opinion, the buffet food was great quality and the staff in there were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a great area by the sea, just be warned of the wind, we almost got blown away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ZackCow
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just spent two nights at the weekend there. We were in the lower ground floor, we felt as if we were going to the "Servants Quarters". On the way down it was a bit smelly but once we got to our room the smell was no longer there. The room was pretty ok but I felt a bit claustrophobic as when I look out the window all I could see was a wall and could only open the window a very small bit. The ceilings were also really low as well. I informed the receptionist as I felt I could not cope with this as I am a bit claustrophic, I stood for a while until she checked and said I would have to pay more money but she didnot have another room anyway so had to put up with that. The receptionists could have been doing with puting a smile on their faces, they were very straight faced and not that helpful. Meal times were a bit chaotic but there was one member of staff in the restaurant who was very pleasant and helpful and could not do enough for you, his name I think was Mark, well I must say he is a credit to your hotel, a very friendly man indeed and could not do enough for us.

Room Tip: Probably worth while to pay the extra £20 for a better room and sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynne735

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel needs some money spending on it. Our group had 3 rooms, the single room had a tray in it with the kettle and cups on, you could write your name in the dirt on the tray. Tables in the conservotary area at the front of the hotel had the days beer still on them when we wanted to sit at them in the evening, when we asked about them being cleaned the reply was its not my job ask the cleaners... If all Britannia Hotels are like this i wont be using them again.

Room Tip: We had a double room with a sea view, was a good size
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank John W
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.