“A terrible hotel in a great location. Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Metropole Hotel

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #69 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
“A terrible hotel in a great location. Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The 2nd floor room was dirty and smelled of smoke despite being a non smoking room. They cleaned the room but couldn't / wouldn't change the room. We ended up paying for a second hotel room at the Hilton. Our second night we had to return. We didn't sleep as there is no air con and the hotel is alongside the clubs. The windows and carpets were dirty. We didn't want to try the free breakfast having seen one chef walk out of the toilets having not washed his hands! Yeuch! The stay was ended with a lack of luggage storage and a check out of 10am! We were grateful to leave. Awful, awful awful. Read all reviews and don't fall for the impressive hotel facade. It's dirty and run down.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank marks_londonmarkuk
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,232)
Moreton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

After reading the reviews for this hotel I was worried about staying here, I could not be more wrong. Lovely family room, clean and tidy, all the staff were friendly and helpful and I would certainly stay here again. Made to feel very welcome by the reception staff at check in who allowed us to put our bags away safely as we had arrived early.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Georgina B
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

I was delighted to read that your found your room and the Hotel to be clean and tidy and the staff to be helpful and friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

birmingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

well what can I say about this auful place,the only positive remark is that our room was large and airy,the carpet was dirty and the furniture was ancient and cheap,the staff were surley and the food was dire,and they are now charging gueste £3.00 per day for parking what a cheek,they would have to pay me a very large sum of money to stay there again.

Room Tip: just don't bother.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marie d
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

As a Town centre Hotel we believe it is appropriate to charge a very realistic £3 per day car park fee.

General Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The staff were extremely unhelpful & not at all welcoming. Booked & paid for a sea view, you could just see the sea but I certainly wouldn't call it a sea view. There was only one tiny lift - max 4 persons (the other one was broken - apparently for 3 days). There were quite a few motorised wheelchairs in the hotel and only one of these could into the lift at the time - so it took absolutely ages to get to your floor. The hotel needed a clean, filthy, but our room was passable. The breakfast was help yourself from the Bain maries and the food had obviously been left there for some time, not good or tasty. Certainly wouldn't go back and definitely not worth the extra money for a sea view room.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank JHNorthYorks
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

The room you were allocated was most definitely a Sea View.

Linlithgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Knowing this hotel was an old building and with the cost I suspected it could be a bit run down. it was acceptable for one night but don't think I would have stayed 2 nights. Biggest let down was the staff. Receptionist gave the impression that the customers were a real nucience and most unhelpful. The evening meal was a help yourself with only a couple of staff clearing dishes. no drinks available with no warning before going in. Have to say that the food was lovely though. There were more staff during breakfast but took ages to catch a waiter and ask for some tea. That waiters shirt was filthy. Room very basic but spent little time in it. Don't think I will be back. I'd rather just look for a nice b&b. Defiantly wouldn't recommend

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fostmam

Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here, mainly because its so close to some excellent night life, the room was very basic, nothing fancy but good enough, reception staff were very helpful, started charging for parking now which I thought was a bit penny pinching, overall we got what we paid for, oh one last think, the breakfast was awful

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Michael D
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read that your found your room and the Hotel to be clean and tidy and the staff to be helpful. It would be good to hear friendly also, maybe next time?

As for breakfast - I will pass your comments to the Chef for his immediate attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Glastonbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I'll start with the car parking, as this is a major factor in my hotel choice. I couldn't find anywhere on the website that suggested there was 'limited' or 'first come first served' parking, if you are unlucky enough not to get a parking space, there is nowhere to unload you bags prior to checking in, there is an unload bay to the rear of the hotel but is still a long walk.
My partner waited in the car in front of the barrier with his backend on the tram lines as I went to check in and was greeted by a rude pregnant lady! I asked about the car parking, she said 'there was no parking available at the hotel but there is ample parking in the back streets', she was right for a maximum of 3 hours!!! Anyway, by the time I had got back to the car, she was wanting to get her car out of the above car park and asked us rather rudely to move ... she didn't let us have that space did she!
After unloading at the rear of the hotel I walked with 3 cases whilst my partner trawled the back streets looking for a parking space.
We were given room 140 which I was told was on the first floor, so I duly take the slow but it got me there lift to find lots of room numbers but none that related to me .. it appears ... the first floor also went down a few (10) steps or so ... lucky for me the housekeeper was coming through the door and helped me find my room (this was the highlight of the stay!)
I went to our room, which was filthy, the paper was peeling from the ceiling and there were huge patches of mould in the bathroom, by now my partner had found me ... we went back to reception and complained, they offered us another room, next door as it happened and it was the same again.
Meanwhile as I was waiting in reception, a lady came down and thrust a used beer glass in the receptionists hands saying they had 'found this glass in their room upon check-in!'
Finally we were offered a room on the third floor, a smokers rooms, which we were warned about, this was satisfactory compared to the other two rooms ... must say the bathroom was fantastic.
So, overall a very poor experience, don't let the hotel name give you great expectations because you will be truly disappointed! This is what I would have expected from a third rate B&B ... next time, we'll support the local B&B industry instead
We didn't have the breakfast so can't comment, but they only serve 8-9:30am and checkout at 10am
The manager and Britannia Hotels you should be ashamed of yourselves!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple