“Excellent Value and Location”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Recently returned from a 2 night break over the bank holiday weekend, booked the Metropole with a bit of hesitation after reading some of the reviews and I have decided to leave an honest description of our stay which I hope will clarify a few things for people looking to book a break here.
On arrival we were checked in at reception by an efficient and polite young man. I had paid attention to some of the complaints about noise from the bars so I requested a quiet room and we were allocated room 216 which was a decent walk from the lift. No view except of the back yard but quiet as requested. The room was spacious with a double and a single bed decent sized wardrobe plenty of drawers dressing table hairdryer tea and coffee making facilities ( I took my own coffee and tea bags) but they was an ample supply of milk tea coffee and sugar and a good sized tv with plenty of channels.
The room was clean and tidy the bed linen really nice fresh clean white cotton with 2 bath and 1 hand towels in the bathroom along with a complimentary soap and shower gel. The spa bath provided a very nice opportunity to revive weary feet and legs after walking all those miles and miles :-) there was also a good shower. The 7.45am - 10.00am buffet breakfast was very reasonable we wanted for nothing and our 5.00pm - 7.45pm evening meal was also of a reasonable standard with plenty to choose from, the sunday evening meal was very good, roast beef yorkshire puddings and there was as much as you wanted with a very good selection of desserts, starters were served by the staff , my one negative comment is about the dining room staff.. the young lady who was our waitress was lovely helpfull and cheerfull but the ladies who greeted us at the door were more interested in moaning to each other than being attentive to the customers, a lot of who I observed arrriving at the dining room standing around waiting to be given direction, it would not take much for them to pay attention to people arriving and explain to them to take a seat and the waiting staff will get your starter etc. (A nice welcome helps to make people feel comfortable but a lack of it sets people up to look for more faults I feel) The waiting staff were very busy at all times so it was sometimes a while before you could get tea or coffee but not a problem as it was on the side so possible to get your own if you could not wait. There was also iced water available.
On our second day our room was cleaned beds made etc no problems with housekeeping.
Overall we paid £160 which included £10 extra to keep our room untill 12pm instead of 10am prior to checkout. We feel that this was a good value break and were happy with the locaton of the hotel which is a 2 minute walk to North pier where the tram stops to take you as far as the pleasure beach for £1.80. We slept well and were not disturbed .
Parking was on a first come first served basis and on the saturday when we arrived the car park was indeed full but spaces became available on the sunday so we got a space then. Parking is available at Wilkinsons a short walk away.
The evening entertainment was quite good we did not see all of it as we went out to walk around but would be a nice evening for anyone who did not want to leave the hotel.
There was nice quiet areas to sit and read dotted around the hotel which caters for all age groups.
I feel that the hotel is providing a good service at a reasonable price and we were happy with our stay.
Yes the hotel is looking a bit tierd in places and could do with a bit of re decoration and people are smoking out the front but this does not effect your stay at the Metropole.
Blackpool in general is looking a bit tierd and in need of some tlc, the work along the promenade is not helping the overall appearance but I am sure when it is complete will improve greatly this holiday hub.
A word of warning the approach to the Hotel was a bit of a mystery and took some navigation due to the above works but we found a way to it in the end :)
Some people were quite rude to the staff expecting a 5 star service for budget prices in my opinion.
We had a lovely stay would return if going back to Blackpool so Thank You to all the Staff at The Metropole and I hope anyone booking a stay enjoys their time as much as we did :0)

Room Tip: Make requests so Hotel can attempt to please
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2011

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. The road works outside are very close to completion so we should not have teh issue with directions for much longer.

There are newer reviews for Grand Metropole Hotel

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Stayed here in April 2011, been to the Metropole on numerous occassions with different issues everytime.

This time my only real complaint was the waiting staff in the Worral restaurant were miserable, we had the same member of staff both days who was not welcoming, not polite, and certainly not customer friendly, the member of staff left dirty, empty plates stacked up on our table for a long while through our meal from our courses, and then banged and clattered all the crockery and cuttlery and just seemed to create an atmosphere in the quiet dining room that is meant to be for Premier Room customers.

The rice krispies are like little bullets and breakfast quality varied on both days.

Evening meals are lovely and have quite a good choice, was very impressed with them.

Bedroom was clean and of great size and receptionist was very helpful and polite.

There was a slight smell or sewage around the bar area for most of the first day for some reason.

The hotel is in a great location and has a large car park which are the reasons I return, I just hope one day that the hotel owners will listen to their customers a little more and even ask the customers how some of the issues can best be addressed.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a re review on trip advisor.

I was pleased to have the oppurtunity to speak with you and have dealt with the member of staff responsible.

I was pleased to read you found dinner of a good standard, the rooms to be clean and the reception staff to be helpful.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Just booked for the 3rd time this year. The first time my wife and I went and I am a terribly fussy eater but the food at the buffet was brill. I was up and down to the buffet like a yoyo. The second time we took our 1 year old grandson and the staff treated him like royalty. This is a good, clean hotel and there are many be many of these in England but the food and above all the staff are excellent. Check out the buffet. Fantastic soup, salad including great cold meats, fish, pork, chicken, beef, various vegetables and the selection of sweets with chocolate cakes, profitorolls with cream is to die for.
Entertainment with bingo every night and it was only £2 a pint untill 7.45 p.m. They have a bar as you go in with an area wher you can sit in the sun, but if it is raining then sit inside.
I am going back with my wife and grandson in August.
The one thing I would suggest is to sign up to Britannia Hotels e-shots as the deals I get are unbelievable. I got bed, breakfast and the evening buffet for 5 nights for a total cost of £198.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank gerrym49
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. The comments about the food quality in particular have been passed to the Chef and his team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in August.

Reviewed May 8, 2011

We recently had a short break five day break in the Grand Metropole Hotel Blackpool and the negative comments we heard were completely inaccurate and made us think were staying in a different hotel. We found the staff very helpful and pleasant and our room was a class above the three star award attached to the hotel.We have had many holidays over the years at home and abroad and have stayed in 5 and 4 star hotels so we have something to compare with and rate our stay in the hotel in most areas above the three star rating. The entertainment in the evening was good and the buffet food was also good. We came to the conclusion that the guests complaining were exppecting five star service in a three star hotel. We both look forwad to a further visit this year.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

We look forward to welcoming you back later in the year.

Reviewed May 4, 2011

stayed over easter, sea view family room third floor ,very clean room, and en suite bathroom, stayed before and everythings good. dining times are a blessing, they allow you to dine in plenty time to see the shows and the foods good, you can bet we will be back once again next easter or before. (dave from bolton) ,

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the delights of the Jacuzzi.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at the Metropole yet again, that was our 7th time. As always, we were greeted with the great smile of the reception staff, all are exceptional, even when they are so busy! Was lovley to see them again and so nice that we are remembered from one stay to the next, excuse my ignorance but I only know Rachel by name, but all reception staff are lovley. We had requested our favourite room on booking and we did get that one, its so spacious and fresh with a wonderful view over the sea. Dot, our cleaning lady was lovely, always very bright and cheery to talk to and nothing was a trouble for her. Our beds were just so comfy.

Breakfast was fantastic as always, Mark, our waiter, was a breath of fresh air in the morning to chat to, always had our pot of tea waiting for us. Breakfast is first class, plenty of everything and as it is buffet, as much or as little as we wanted. Cant coment on the evening meal as we only stay Bed and Breakfast but others did tell us that the evening meal was first class also.

Would recomend the hotel any time, its only a 5 minute walk to the town center and close to all bars and restaurants. Bus and Tram stop right outside. There is some upheavel with tall he work being done on the promenade and tram lines but needs must and its not the hotels fault in any way. We had no problems getting parked either.

Thanks again for another great short break. We are booked again for July!

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed at this Hotel on the 25 April-29 April 2011. Went on a coach tour so booking in was a bit of a pain but didnt have to wait to long. My husband is disabled so did put this on the booking form but no consideration was given to this aspect so ended up on the 2nd floor room 252. Well what can I say the room was so small you couldnt swing a cat in it. The closet they called the bathroom had a mouldy shower door where you felt cleaner before you went in the shower then when you got out. Now for the money we paid I thought Ok lets give it a try. Do not look out the window because all you will see is bird poop and the curtians off the track. The bed was not comfy as the it felt like the springs were comming through, we ended up sleeping on the floor, now with a disabled partner I can asure you this was no picnic. At 5.45 am the following morning we went and seen a very helpfull receptionist who listned to my complaints took them all on board and transfered us to a room that was looking out to the sea. The room here was twice as big, clean and very sastifactory. The food was good but please do something about having all the starters main meals and deserts all together as this does get confusing as to where to start and where to finish. The entertainment was fine if you are over 70 as all they do is bingo with a 45 minute singing routine stuck in the middle. i found all the staff very pleasant and helpfull and cant say anything negative about them, as I felt my problem was dealt with very effeciently. If you are staying in this Hotel for goodness sake book for the upgrade it will be worth it.

Room Tip: Clean the Windows, Book a premier room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post and entry on Trip Advisor.

I'm sorry your request for a disabled friendly room was not passed on to the Hotel and that it took another day for you to be allocated a room that was suitable.

I've checked the room you were in and ordered the immediate refurbishment that is required.

I trust that we will be able to welcome you back to the Metropole at some time in the future.