“Will be coming back again”
Review of The Carousel Hotel

The Carousel Hotel
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Will be coming back again”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Really nice and modern hotel. Friendly staff, good food (breakfast was gorgeous), nice and clean(spotless), and away from the madness of the main strip. There is a tram stop right outside the hotel which is great. I normally visit Blackpool every year and I think I have found my hotel moving forward! The only reason I have not given 5* based on a good review was the heat inside the hotel. The room was really hot and when we went down for breakfast in the morning it was also hot in the restaurant. Not a major issue as I was a bit drunk on Saturday night so nodded right off however think If I would of been sober I might of had trouble getting to sleep with the heat. However as stated the hotel is spotless and I will definitely be visiting again next year. Just make sure to turn your heating down ;)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nigsy2008
MarkDWilson, Managing Director at The Carousel Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear valued guest, may we thank you very much for your kind review of the Carousel and we are delighted to hear that you will be returning soon. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again and ask that you call us before your next visit so that we can arrange a bedroom allocation that is ideal for your personal preferences. Many thanks and kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here Friday night. A good walk from the centre but the tram stops right across the road and stops 1 min from hotel coming back. Frew parking. Food brilliant. .staff fantastic. .Very helpful and polite. Just one little niddle. Please apply your policy of dress code in restaurant. One guy in pj's and several guy's in vest tops!! Sorry but it has to be pointed out. Would I stay again. ..a BIG FAT YES!!!.Can't do enough for you.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank chantryb53
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Had a 4 night stay at this hotel first time I've been here I found it very clean very relaxing very friendly staff especially the dining room staff.my self & my sister had gone for a short break. the room we were given was very small with no view just a blank wall. when I asked if we could be given something better they very kindly gave us another room with a sea view.there wasn't much entertainment on but the very friendly compere did bingo & games which was a good laugh so kept everyone amused. I didn't reckon much to the meals I found them to much like gourmefied the breakfast on the other hand was buffet style which I found much better I would definitely go here again

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room much brighter & airy
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2014

went for a couple of days break, hotel really clean and tidy. breakfast really nice help yourself to what you want to eat, evening meals really great value, had sea view room really nice , good size room great en suiet, staff really helpful and friendly, great stay,

Room Tip: sea front rooms great views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nic Izzy K
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The "hotel" is located about a ten minute walk from the top end of the pleasure beach near the airport. Dilapidated area with plenty of disused buildings (but that's not the hotels fault) and it does make it easier to park.

The reception staff never really acknowledged us and were unfriendly and unaccommodating, this also stretched to the housekeeping and restaurant staff we encountered. They weren't rude, just like they couldn't be bothered and we were an inconvenience.

We stayed in Room 325, room was ok sized, bathroom was clean, however the toilet was broke, the panel was slightly hanging off the wall and it started running at 4am which made sleep difficult. The "tv" was computer monitor sized and could not be seen from the bed. Lastly the towels were of poor quality and size and the bed was positioned right near the door.

From 6am there was a steady stream of people walking up and down the corridor (probably to the lift) talking and banging doors and as the bed is slow close to the door, they may have well as been sat in our room. The corridors' are narrow and the rooms close together so there is literally no privacy and there was a couple engaging in "night-time activities" ridiculously loud from 5am to 6am which made me feel uncomfortable and made me glad I wasn't having to explain that to any children staying in the hotel - again, I appreciate this is not the hotels fault but I think more soundproofing is required.

The "hotel" is really a larger type guesthouse, stained carpets and no air-con made it uncomfortable with it been a hot day and the tariff for the hotel is £90 per night with breakfast - having stayed at the Hilton in Blackpool for the same price, I know where id rather stay!!

The breakfast was nice, again the staff and service were severely lacking, having to get our own tea and coffee as the waitress was too busy hiding behind the bar texting on her mobile phone.

The place is out-dated and overpriced and for those reasons I would not stay again. Im not normally a complainer, and had I only paid say £40 for two, then id expect the level of comfort and service because at the end of the day, its only somewhere to lay your head. However the prices this "sleepwell (ha) hotel" commands is out of the market - there are plenty of nicer, more central hotels to stay for the same price and that includes big hotel chains where the service is better, more facilities, better facilitated rooms and a lot more privacy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank claireser
Dear valued guest, we thank you for your visit and review of the Carousel. We are sorry to that you felt there were parts of your stay we could improve upon and we will investigate the points you have raised and immediately address these as necessary. The carpet you refer to has been replaced. We have rooms at various price levels and find that on the whole we provide excellent service and value for money. We do of course take on board all of your feedback and very much appreciate you taking the time to leave this. Should you return to Blackpool again, we would welcome the opportunity to host you again. Kind regards,
Merseyside
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Had a recent 3 night stay with my 5 year old daughter. Check-in was fast, efficient and the receptionist friendly, offering all the basic info we needed to know. Allowed to check in 1 hr early as our room was ready. Room was on 3rd floor but easily reached by the lift which was big enough for us but doubt this would be the case for larger families, wheelchair users etc - sign outside lift said 'maximum load 3 people or 2 plus luggage'. Our room was nice & modern and well equipped with very comfy bed, good sized wardrobe, desk, chair and plenty of drawer space. Flatscreen tv, free wifi, tea/coffee facilities which were replenished daily.
Only downsides to the room were a faint odour that I couldn't properly identify... kind of a damp / mildew smell...and some slight staining to chair & carpet. Besides this, however, the room did appear very clean. Spotlessly clean bathroom with fantastic hot power shower. Ceiling tiles were loose but bathroom lovely apart from this. Shampoo, shower gel, hand & body lotion plus plenty of towels provided provided.
Asked for a quiet room & did not encounter any noise during our stay (stayed wed-sat so avoided weddings/functions). Slept very soundly and, as stated above, bed was lovely and comfy.
Breakfast was usual run of the mill b&b fare - full English, choice of 3 cereals (corn flakes, rice crispies & bran flakes?), fruit juices, toast (brown & white), yoghurts, jams, marmelade, tinned fruit. As a vegetarian I found the choices very limited and bland. The toast was nice if you were lucky enough to catch it when still freshly made & warm but most mornings it was cold & tough. The breakfast staff, however, were lovely & always happy to accommodate guest's wishes bringing me bread for my daughter each morning, for example, when she wouldn't eat the toast. The waiting staff came round with urns serving tea & coffee. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the breakfast staff.
Reception staff were also on the whole pleasant and accommodating, if a little reserved. One young male in particular, however, seemed to absolutely hate his job! As we collected our bags from behind the desk the only words he spoke were "which one is it?" , had a face like thunder and neither smiled nor responded when I said goodbye to him. Maybe he was having a really bad day and that's why he looked so pi$$ed off who knows but if you can't at least FORCE a smile when you're working in the hospitality industry then maybe a career move is in order! Noticed the tariff prices on the wall as I left - doubles from £90, family rooms £160. Considering these are the normal rates we got a bargain on Booking.com at £178 for a 3 night stay in sea view double room. At this price I'd possibly stay again but definitely wouldn't pay any more than this.

Room Tip: Windows are all pretty small so paying extra for sea view not really worth it in my opinion!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear valued guest, may we thank you very much for your thorough and comprehensive review of the Carousel hotel. We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with your daughter and in particular appreciate your very kind words about the high standard of your bedroom and the breakfast staff. We will however take on board the few issues you have raised from the different elements of your and will immediately address each of these as appropriate. We are pleased that your trip went so well and appreciate your detailed and helpful feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the Carousel for any future visits to Blackpool. Many thanks and kind regards,
england
Reviewed June 1, 2014

just got back from the carousel blackpool . a really good hotel could do with a bigger lift my wife as a wheelchair and it was a lot of messing getting in the lift and it is a gated lift so every time we used it i had to run up and down the stairs to find it as no one shut the gate. the breakfast in the morning was really good and we had a pizza sent to are room it was very tasty to i would recommend the hotel but ask for ground floor for desabled .we enjoyed are stay

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple