“Avoid This Hotel”
Review of The Waldorf

The Waldorf
Ranked #46 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I thought the hotel looked nice from its web site how i was wrong!The man i spoke to on the phone was very helpful and quoted us £130 a night for two adults,two children and an infant including breakfast so i booked us in for three nights.When we arrived there was no one there we had to ring a number,the hotel smelt damp and looked like it hadnt been decorated since the 50s.The veiw was nice from our room.But the wall paper was hanging off.The water took ten minutes of running to heat up.When we went down for a drink in the bar that was just a joke.No music or entertainment like had been advertised,we were constantly telling our children to be quiet as the helpful man who turned out to be cleaner,receptionist and barman kept looking annoyed with them.It took 20 minutes to be noticed before a 15 year old took our breakfast order which was terrible. And the final straw was when the cook came out and and told us off for sitting at her friends table and drinking her orange juice.We decided to leave and book in some where else.When we came to settle the bill for one night the man said we would have to pay £153.00!!You could stay at the Hilton for that and still have change left.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank SarahTaylor2010

Reviewed December 27, 2009

we stayed at the waldorf and the service was excellent steve was very helpful room was clean and tidy really enjoyed our stay and would always stay at the waldorf when visiting blackpool great customer service thank you.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Stayed hear last night, paid £85 for a double room, nightmare, room tiny no soap no bath towels nothing, bar horrible, still in the 1970s, breakfast cold, the cook going on about her swine flu to another table, arrived at night then saw it this morning how they can charge such fees for a terrible hotel, never again

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank LVGirl79
Reviewed August 3, 2009

have recently returned from a 2 night stay at the waldorf. Finding it was the hardest job we found as it doesn't look like the website photo!!! Check in was quick and easy the man on reception was extremely pleasant and helpful. Told us straight away our room was on the 3rd floor but he would change it to a ground floor one if we wished, however we declined. Our room 303 was a lovely room not overly large but had a separate childrens area with 2 single beds and their own tv and dvd player!!! Good ensuite and tea and coffee making equipment. The room had tv, dvd player, freeview (a bit hit and miss due to the weather) and a hairdryer.
Was within walking distance of the south pier and pleasure beach, the north pier and tower needed a tram which stopped right across the road from the hotel. The guy on reception told us the exact cost and times of the trams.
The weather was very wet and when we arrived back to the waldorf dripping wet the same guy who seemed to be there 24/7 offered to take our wet clothes and dry them for us which was a lovely help.
Overall not a 4star place but staff and location make this an excellent place to stay when in blackpool, close enough for activities but far enough away from the nightlife especially if you have a young family

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2009

It was a disaster from the start, I had to wait out on the street on arriving at the hotel, as the doors were locked & no staff were around to help me for at least 30 minutes.
I had the same problem when it came to checking out, I had to wait 20 minutes for a member of staff to come to reception to assist me.
I had a faulty kettle in my (small, crampted, car park view) room & wasnt able to speak to a member of staff till I left. There was never anyone one on reception, & nobody answered when I tried ringing the duty manager.

The hotel is very out dated & quite, I only saw two other guests, just as I was leaving, they seemed to agree it was like staying in a residential home (nursing home).
It is a £7 to £9 taxi ride to Blackpool tower at the standard rate, so is quite far if your not driving.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank SoloSisterLanc
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

I am truely sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations.

Your reservation was made through a booking agency which states that check-in is from 2pm onwards and gives the distance from the hotel to Blackpool Tower as 2.2 miles. . I am unable to control the taxi fares to and from the hotel.

I note and accept your comments about the atmosphere in the hotel and appologise profusely, his is possibly due to the fact that only a short time prior my partner of 25 years suffered a massive stroke and passed away so I was still greiving and in shock

Again I am truely sorry ..

Steve

Reviewed March 18, 2009

My stay at the Waldorf was very pleasant and I enjoyed every minute of it. The staff particularly the owners were very friendly and could not do enough to help. The rooms were clean and the facilities were good. If you leave the dining room feeling hungy you only have yourself to blame. Good base to easily reach all attractions. Heating could have done with being turned down, but that is better than the reverse.

This is a typical case of Blackpool hospitality very warm and inviting. The bar of an evening was very busy and good humour all round.

Really good value for money and no preasure to do anything you do not want to do.

I cannot understand some of the bad reviews given to this Hotel, if you have a complaint to make, do so whilst you are there, that way something can be done to help. I have travelled world wide and the hospitality at the Waldorf is second to none.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2008

When booking a hotel I always consult TRIPADVISOR and probably, like most of you, I am sometimes confused by the conflicting reviews I see on some hotels; some love the place, some absolutely detest it. I think some of the travellers have expectations far greater than my own. I tend therefore to give the benefit of the doubt to the premises where there are at least some positive reviews posted.

After my trip to the Waldorf recently however I will be far more cynical and suspicious. This place was everything the poor reviews claimed. Firstly I must state I was not seeking top of the range accommodation, I simply expected reasonable quality and decent service for the money I paid.

On arrival the hotel was deserted, there was no one at reception to book us in. The hotel itself had a dismal atmosphere about it; a kind of run down feel as if it was being run with the minimum of expense. We chose what we believed to be the best room in the hotel, the bridal suite, which turned out to be a huge disappointment; it was simply a very average, smallish room with a four poster bed. The room was clean however, which was a small mercy. What we didn't know at the time was that the room leaked like a sieve. When we returned after a walk through Blackpool, admittedly after an incredibly wet day, we found water dripping down the walls and onto the furniture.

We were given a choice of alternative rooms and we picked the lesser of the two evils. The bedroom itself was clean but the toilet / shower room was a bit on the grubby side and freezing cold into the bargain.

Breakfast was a challenge. The dining room was busy but there was no member of staff to tell us what the procedure was; help yourself or wait to be seated etc. We got conflicting advice on this from the waitress I did manage to intercept and from reception.

Service was poor. Milk, orange juice and butter were left to run out with no one apparently noticing that these needed replenished. There were three waitresses, one who was dashing about everywhere trying to cover all bases, the second one trying hard to assist and the third drifting aimlessly around the dining room at a pace a tortoise could easily best, and a manner of sullenness and complete indifference.

The food, when it came, was adequate; some guests, including ourselves, spent more than twenty minutes before having their breakfast orders taken. The tablecloths were grubby and needed changed but this did not seem to be on the agenda. If it hadn’t been for the priceless humour of some of the guests in the face of this debacle it would have been absolutely unbearable.

Servicing of the rooms was minimal.

On one day of our stay the shower ran just above tepid; something a number of guests complained about as part of the breakfast conversation. I don't believe anyone raised this with the hotel management. You got the feeling there wouldn't be any point. You paid in full at the time of arrival therefore you are in a position of weakness right away.

I wish I had believed the poor reviews this hotel received and booked somewhere else to stay. The experience has turned me against returning to Blackpool in the near future. By all means, try this hotel if you must, but be warned, banish all expectation of a pleasant, value for money experience; only that way will you avoid extreme disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank Aberconway
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

I think this review is for another hotel.
My partner and I believed four poster beds by theri very nature to be dust traps and as such when we refurbished all rooms in 2005 the four poster beds were removed and consigned to a skip.