“liverpool family”

Ranked #38 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“liverpool family”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

myself wife and two children stayed at the headlands ,staff was very freindly and helpfull,the room was basic but very clean.the seaviews was great ,ideally placed for the funfair and attractions ,we shall be booking again .ps the breakfast was lovely .

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed at this hotel 15th - 22nd Oct and really enjoyed it. The staff were all very friendly, helpful and made me feel welcome. The food was very good and there was plenty choices on the menu. My room was sea facing and although it was bad weather it was nice to sit watching the sea, the only downside was that it was a bath and no shower. Although it needs some updating it was kept very clean and I would definitely stay here again. The wi-fi didn't work in my room so I had to go downstairs to use it but this was no problem for me as I just went into the bar area and had a drink at the same time.

Room Tip: let them know if you prefer an en suite with a shower as some rooms don't have them
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Ended up staying here as there was a problem with our original hotel booking. Lovely clean room good working shower and a heated towel rail. We had a sea view and it's right on the seafront at the south end of the beach.
Dave on reception is particularly nice and very helpful.
Breakfast was also quite yummy.

Room Tip: rooms on the left have sea views
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Phillip and I booked a one night stay in this hotel arriving Saturday 15 October 2011. We booked after seeing the glowing Trip Advisor rating the hotel held.

Check in was quick and efficient. We were given a check in card to be completed and handed in at our convenience. We were also given an evening meal menu and asked to select our preference. Phillip and I found this to be very efficient.

We were shown to the lift by the same, very efficient member of staff, who unfortunately did not give his name or have a name badge or we would have commended him. Throughout the check in process the staff member was attentive and open to any questions we had.

The lift in the hotel was, to be honest, the most bizarre I have used in the past 30 years. I am sure that the lift is in complete working order and designed for the space in which it has been installed, but it is definitely something to see. I assume from its position it was constructed within a chimney stack. As someone who is claustrophobic, it was not used often! I was really surprised to see an alarm button on the panel and not a bell attached to the wall.

The room could at best be described as basic. You get what you pay for, but unfortunately for £115.00 a night I have, in the very recent past, received considerably more. The view from the side sea room was acceptable, but not of the same standard as other hotels in Blackpool for the same price paid, for example The Imperial on North Shore. We did however have excellent views of Starr Gate, the Blackpool Glitter-Ball and the start of the rather excellent 2011 illuminations.

The décor of the room was, as described, basic, but immaculately clean. The window blind was broken, staining on the carpet in front of the toilet, there was linoleum on the desk top, you could have scolding hot water in the shower or freezing cold water in it, the wallpaper, which I believe was wood-chip was bleeding away from the wall due to some previous water leak but overall we found no reasons to make a complaint.

Moving onto dinner, one would have no reason whatsoever to complain about the service, which was speedy and second to none. You could however say it was rushed. Once again, nothing really to complain about, however the Prawn Cocktail starter could have been better in terms of both quantity and quality.

I appreciate that the majority of the clientele were of a more senior age than both me and my partner, but had I known that meals would be designed, catered, accounted for and prepared with the older palate and appetite in mind we may not have booked. The evening meal was, however hot and presented adequately despite the quality and quantity.

At the end of the day, the reason you spend a night in a hotel is for bed and an inclusive breakfast the next day. The bed Phillip and I had was very comfortable and we both had a restful and comfortable night’s sleep. No complaints about that whatsoever. Breakfast, however, was another matter entirely.

Phillip and I both work in Civil Service professions that take us away on business overnight. I have to say what we received for breakfast was not enough to complain about as everyone around us was receiving the same. It was, however, extremely disappointing. Choice was a leading factor. I have never, in the twenty years I have been working for a Government Department been presented with cereal, then a slice and a half of toast accompanying two slices of budget bacon, a budget sausage, fried egg, half a tomato and a pot of coffee.

Overall, I would say, for £115.00 Phillip and I were disgruntled. If you pay £60.00 for bed, breakfast and evening meal in a two star AA rated hotel mid-season with the illuminations for the rack rate advertised I would have said that I would have been satisfied but slightly disappointed. For the price we paid, I was not the least bit happy, but once again had no reason to make an actual complaint. You get what you pay for, and we paid in advance. We will not be coming back. Not because it was substandard, but because it is not of the standard Phillip and I are used to.

A reasonable 2* AA rated Hotel. Not what I would call value for money, but the staff are well presented and seem to be willing to do all they can to make you welcome. Not exactly a “home from home”.

Not bad, but not brilliant. Good luck and best wishes to all the staff for the future.

Room Tip: Cannot do this. No rooms in the hotel that I saw would be acceptable.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Carly M, Owner at The Headlands, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor following your stay with us on the 15th October. We would like to respond to your review in the order written.

We are pleased check in and introduction to the Headlands was well received. It was Richard Simkin, the son of one of the directors who welcomed you.

The lift is quite small but adequate to accommodate 3 persons as indicated and was purpose built into its present position. The sounder for the alarm is on the outside of the lift.

Due to it being the only room available, the room you booked via booking.com was a family room for three, hence the price. The double, twin, single rate is £45.00 per person, bed breakfast, afternoon tea & biscuits and 4 course evening dinner. We do not charge extra for a single room or sea view. We are sure you will agree this offers excellent value for money.

During the 2011 season, as rooms became available, we decorated and upgraded the majority of them, both front and rear facing. Front rooms such as the one you were allocated are seldom unoccupied long enough to be totally upgraded, but as you say the room was immaculately clean and had been recently decorated with new blinds fitted (we could not find a problem with these) and due to a guest spillage the dressing table had been recovered. Thank you for bringing the carpet to our attention, this has now been steam cleaned.

We are pleased you enjoyed your evening meal, service and presentation however we were a little surprised by your comment regarding the Prawn Cocktail. We can assure you that we strive to provide good portions of the highest quality to all our clientele.

At Breakfast to start you can serve yourself from a choice of five cereals, prunes or grapefruit segments. Hot porridge oats are also available. Bacon sausage tomato and fried egg and toast together with tea and coffee are then served to you before you finish on a self service of fresh fruit.. We very seldom receive comments that the breakfast is not adequate and our staff is required to ask if extras are required such as beaked beans or more toast.

In closing we are sorry you did not have the opportunity to view other rooms at the hotel and thank you for the many kind remarks you made. We hope that our response and clarification has improved your overall view of The Headlands.
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My partner and our eight year old daughter stayed at the Headlands in mid August 2011. We stayed here for two nights with breakfast and evening meal. The staff were friendly and welcoming, the food was great and the hotel was just what we needed for a few days in Blackpool. The hotel was not the most modern but was nipping clean. Our room was spacious we had a lovely view, towels and bed linen were changed each day. I would definetly stay here again if i visited Blackpool.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We have stayed at The Headlands many times over the last 10 years. The hospitality is fabulous and you can be assured of a nice warm welcome. It has been a family run hotel for many decades and they have lots of loyal customers. The rooms are clean and comfortable with t.v. and tea/coffee facilities. The food is all homemade and freshly cooked. I can assure that you will never go hungry. A few tipples in the well stocked bar is highly recommended too!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We are a golfing party who have used this hotel for a number of years. The food at this hotel is very good and most produce is locally sourced. Rooms are clean and tidy with tea and coffee facilities and terrestrial T.V. The bar is well stocked and the prices are the same as you would pay in pubs. One of the main reasons we return is the fact that the staff, from management to cleaner, are very friendly. There is also off- road parking for approx. 15-20 vehicles. Most importantly is that this hotel offers excellent value as a total package. Some reviews say it is a little tired, but offset this against cleanliness, friendliness, and quality of food and I will forego a lick of paint!!!!!!!.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends