“Need a new reception Manager”
Review of The Cliffs Hotel

The Cliffs Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed at the hotel In June and we was most disapointed that it is nothing like it shows on the web site.

On arrival it took a turn for the worse. We was left waiting at reception to be served and whilst we stood waiting we could see a small woman which looked like to be a manager because she was wearing a suit jacket just looking back at us, after we had been stood there waiting she shouted at the young girl who eventally checked us in. I felt very embrassed for the girl. I have a young daughter myself i would tell her to leave. I am suprised that there is any staff left working on reception if she speaks to staff in that manner and she calls herself a manager.

The room was ok but really wonted to change rooms but felt like i couldn't go back to reception. The food was however very nice and the pool was also nice. Just a shame about the rude staff. We was talking to other guests who had previously stayed before and they informed us that it never used to be like this.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for The Cliffs Hotel

Reviewed May 27, 2008

We booked the cliffs after reading rave reviews on this website. I was somewhat confused at how a hotel that has such reviews, could be so very bad.

My family and I entered through the front door and my first impressions were poor, the glass was filthy, we were hit by a wall of smoke and there were cigerette burns in the carpet!

Things got worse.... We went to our room down a corridor that would do well as a set for a 1950's hospital drama. The room had stained carpet, stained sheets, dirty phone. a bathroom I would not wash my dog in and no cot ( as requested) .

Our room was also a smoking room. I called reception asking to be moved to a non smoking room with a cot. The reply was that they could not move us. I asked for our money back.. After a long battle with the management my family and I left with our refund. I have to say that we were very relieved to not have to discover any more "delights" of the cliffs

Ended up in the Big Blu ... Fantastic

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank tollyDuffield
Reviewed February 2, 2008

During my stay in the cliffs at the start of the year i was pleased to see the food and staff were still as friendly as ever! apart from the nasty little round woman in a blue suit wearing a badge stating she was reception manager. On two occasions over my 3 night stay i heard this woman snaping at a member of her staff in a very degrading manner! My daughter works on reception and i would be extremly upset if i thought she was being spoken to in that manner by a jumped up little woman like that! Apart from that the stay was lovely.

Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank bev6244
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We paid £69 per person for 2 nights bed breakfast and evening meal. The food was lovely and there was a full entertainment programme on both nights. There is a swimming pool, kids club and gym included in this price. Yes the hotel is a bit tired and the rooms are pretty basic but for £69 what do you expect realistically. If you can get a good price then its definately worth going we had a brilliant weekend the entertainment was good fun. The staff on the whole are foreign but very friendly and helpul. We went with a group of adults but have previously been as a family and had a great time both times. Recommened to all age group, other reviews say its full of penisoners but it wasn't on this occassion it was a very mixed bunch of age groups.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Natasha54
Reviewed December 7, 2007

Stayed at this with a family group of 12, we have been coming for years and so know what to expect.

The Cliffs is your typical Blackpool hotel, slightly faded glory, popular with the blue rinse brigade. The decor is slightly tatty in both the rooms, corridors and dining areas. Parking is not great, but as we have been coming for years we know what do do (get there early!) and grab your spot.

We really liked the 'leisure centre' downstairs, the pool was great as well as the Gym kit. We were in there every day of our 4 night stay, and our 14 month old daughter loved the pool.

The evenings entertainment was from a different era! A singer / comedian, with a quiz or bingo. The Cliffs are deffo catering to their main demographic here, and who can blame them?! Still it was good fun and the comedian made us laugh.

Our room (no 105) was OK, though the bathroom was tiny with the toilet squashed right next to a narrow bath, I ended up going downstairs to the bar to use a more comfortable toilet. The room was clean and warm with good views, though as other people have commented the windows could do with a clean. Also the door to the room was a little rickety, they could do with a bit of a seeing to.

Food was OK, I must admit I was slightly underwhelmed, service was quick (too quick maybe!). The food wasn't horrible, just unimaginative. Not much choice at the breakfast either, if a standard Travelodge or Holiday Inn can do a decent breakfast why can't a big place like the Cliffs?

Would we come again? Of course, it's a family tradition, and unless they really go downhill we will keep coming. Don't come here expecting the Malmasion, or the Hiltion. But it's warm and comfortable, and it's Blackpool and so the Cliffs is typical of the area.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Mark.L.Johnson
Reviewed November 18, 2007

We have just arrived back home from another great stay over at the Cliffs. We have stayed at the Cliffs several times since 2001 and not once we have been disappointed with anything. Since the last stay the rooms, restaurant, and leisure area have undergone refurbishment and they have done a really good job! There is a variety of choice for evening meal and the entertainment also suits everyone’s liking with Singer and Comedian, Hotel caters great for kids with there own entertainment programme too. The staffs are friendly and give excellent hospitality. I could rave on and on about this hotel as I can’t see how anyone can find fault over it.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank djj2006
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my mother and this is the third time we have visited. We had paid for a seaview and the room was clean and a good size with a lovely view out to sea. The food was still really good although we had a few mishaps through misunderstanding of the 'scottish language by the foreign waiters and waitresses. thank goodness for the return of our waiter Peter, who delivered once again a good service.

Only complaint this trip, the toddlers and children were allowed to run riot in the entertainment theatre whilst the singers and comedians were on stage, (11.30pm - 12 midnight) . The kids had their club until well on in the evening, so the adult entertainment should be just that for adults - for this reason we are going to try a sister hotel.

Stayed: July 2007