“over rated”

Ranked #25 of 853 Blackpool B&B and Inns
eire
“over rated”
Reviewed January 29, 2007

I dont know what to say about the norwood...i mean to call it one of the top hotels in the world is a bit much..ok the owners are nice but the rooms are very small and not exactly comfortable..pipes were rattling all night..the windows were bolted shut..there is no parking outside (you will get a ticket)..there a dog living there..the breakfast is very average..its just a typical downmarket english b and b. And it looks to me like every "hotel" in blackpool is the same.

• Liked — nothing really
  • Disliked — small room..
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank dandandandan
Hotelier, owners at The Norwood Hull Road, responded to this review, February 19, 2007
We cant find any paper work or a registration form for this guest/s, so its a case of not sure if they stayed with us.
None of our windows are bolted shut there is no reason why they should be this is a hotel not a prison!
We have not heard any pipes rattling through the night and after asking other guests their reply was "we heard no noises through the night."
All our guests have commentated on how comfortable our rooms are.
In a building like ours there are no big rooms they are victorian buildings. If big rooms are wanted go to one of the bigger hotels!
As for the parking which is not our fault speak to Blackpool councli they are in charge of parking not us!!!
If you think all B&Bs in Blackpool are "just typical downmarket" then why did you come to Blackpool? or did you?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Well another great new year at the Norwood, just got back from spending five fantastic nights at the Norwood and I must say we all had a great time. My Husband, 13 year old Daughter and 17 year old son and myself would just like to say a big thanks to Lorraine and Geoff for giving us such a great time. It was also nice to catch up with Karen and Dave, some other new year regulars. I also love the new decor to the Family room which might I add, all four of us stayed in and found it a nice size for us all.
It was a real pleasure to stay again with you both, welcoming and friendly people who are happy to help in anyway possible. If your looking for a nice clean friendly hotel then this is the one, it's like home from home.
Once again Happy New Year Geoff and Lorraine and we look forward to staying with you again in the near future.
Best wishes Gill, Derek, keith and Kimberley. x

• Liked — How clean and fresh the hotel was.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Gilly40
Bedlington, Northumberland
Reviewed November 23, 2006

I've lost count of the times myself and my family have stayed at the Norwood but it just goes to prove how good it is there because we go back year after year! We go to Blackpool in November for the Closed British Ballroom Championships and we always stay at the Norwood. I know that if for some reason we were unable to get booked in at the Norwood then we would not go to the championships because we would not want to stay anywhere else! (although there is not much chance of that because we always book in for the following year while we are there, just incase!) Lorraine and Geoff are the perfect hosts and the hotel itself is just getting better and better as they are painstakingly decorating and improving the rooms from top to bottom. The hotel is always spotlessly clean and the breakfasts are always delicious! (My oldest daughter bases her stay at Blackpool around the breakfasts!) Last year my parents stayed at the Norwood for the first time and since then they have spread the word around to all their "dancing friends" about how good it is there. Myself and my family would definately recommend staying at the Norwood and hopefully Lorraine and Geoff will be the owners for as long as we go to the championships.

• Liked — The friendliness of the owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Lizziejane
Bristol
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I stayed at Norwood Hotel last week for 5 nights after viewing the 5 star rating on Trip Advisor. On arrival I received a friendly welcome by the owners and their cute dog with it's tongue hanging out.

The room - small but very clean & tidy, wasn't quite as modern as pictured on the hotel's website but it was OK. A kettle with coffee and tea etc was provided.

The toilet in the ensuite was not clean and there were disturbingly a few flies hovering around. I swatted those and no more returned. Even more disturbing was the hissing socket on the floor, I alerted the owner but he forgot or was to busy finishing the downstairs renovations to fix it.

Free WiFi internet is available, though it took a while to setup and worked 50% of the time.

The location is great, 200 metres from all the high street shops and North Promenade, not far from Blackpool tower. A+ for location.

I can imagine it being a very fun hotel during the summer season, when the hotel is fully occupied, they do after all have a licensed bar. Perhaps it was unfortunate timing, with the end of the season and renovations, but there are nicer places in Blackpool to stay.

• Liked — friendly owners
  • Disliked — dirty bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — If you plan to stay on Hull Rd, go across the road to the much nicer Chorlton hotel.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank v3nture
Hotelier, Owners at The Norwood Hull Road, responded to this review, February 13, 2007
We remeber this guest.
His stay was in Nov not Oct as he stated.
The guest was shown to his room on arrival(which was spotlessand clean including the en:suite). Everything was fine.
We did not see him again for well over 24 hours after his arrival, he did not come down for breakfast or leave his room, which is not a problem at all, thats his private space that is what he was paying for.
He did eventually come down it was in the afternoon,he came into the bar to tell us he was going out for a bite to eat, which we thought was very thoughtfull as he did not have to report his every move to us.
So I went up to sevice his room as I had not been able to go in and sevice it since his arrival. Well, I opened the door to the room and was nearly knocked over by the smell it was awfull!! The room looked as if world war 3 had gone off in it and the en:suite was disgusting the toilet had not been flushed and the shower base was filthy and smelly!!
Anyway we cleaned it all up, fresh towels etc
On his arrival back he came into the bar (we decided not to say anything about the state of the room) He asked if he could extend his stay, we could not, as the room was booked out to other guests and we had no other room to move him to. To be honest even if we had the room for him we would not of let him stay longer then he was booked in for (which was 3 nights not 5)after seeing the state of the room it was awfull and very smelly.
Plus we could not hear any hissing from any plug socket!!!!.
birmingham
Reviewed November 11, 2006

The hotel was very clean .The owners are very friendly and helpful
The rooms were warm and cosy .The breakfast was very good.
Overall this hotel was good value for money
Tim from Birmingham

• Liked — The bedroom
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2006
2 Thank brum4ever
Oxfordshire
Reviewed November 7, 2006

We booked this hotel following a glowing review on the BBC News website. I really can't imagine who was polled to rate this place so highly, people with nothing to compare it to presumably!

We booked a double en suite room and paid our deposit well in advance. On arrival (after almost an hour navigating the atrocious one way system) we were taken to a small room squashed right up in the eaves!

No kidding it was a real squeeze (and I'm only a size 12!) to get around the bed, there was a cheap and nasty plastic hanging thing over the sink in the room which I didn't fancy using for my toothbrush, yuck!

Likewise the shower room was also awfully compact and there was barely room to sit on the loo with the door closed! I'm suprised they don't ask for a 'dress' size when taking the booking as anyone on the more ample side would never have been able to use the WC or shower! Or perhaps rooms are allocated on arrival, with slim-jims relegated up to this nasty loft room.

The TV was mounted high on the ceiling over the door, resulting in neck ache trying to watch it from the bed (needless to say, there was no room for even one chair in the room!).

Breakfast was fine and the proprietors friendly enough, maybe we were expecting too much after seeing such rave reviews but this was honestly the worst room we have ever, ever stayed in!

Clearly this establishment is trying to wring maximum profit out of limited space, presumably they don't feel they need to rely on repeat custom!

There is also no parking anywhere nearby so you have to go around the one way system again after dropping your bags off in order to find parking! I'd guess air quality in Blackpool must be pretty poor.

If I go back to Blackpool I'll book a room in one of the smart b&bs near the Norwood, they at least offered car accommodation!

• Liked — it was open when we arrived
  • Disliked — the room!
  • Tips/Secrets — book elsewhere, or tell them your a size 20 and can't climb stairs!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank AtravellerUK
Hotelier, owners at The Norwood Hull Road, responded to this review, November 12, 2006
Your visit July 2006 Your review Nov 2006!!!

All our second floor rooms are NOT up in the loft or tucked away into the eaves. We have a nice big loft in which we use for storage like thousands of other people. DONT YOU!!!

The room was small but certainly was not cramped and NOT in the loft.
These small B&B's / Hotels are Victorian houses and some of the rooms can be small. If big rooms are wanted I suggest you book into the purpose built hotels.
There was no chair in the Bedroom but there was a stool which was ample for the size of the room.
I have also used the Loo in the en:Suite and shut the door behind me, I had plenty of room quite comfortably. Oh I am also a size 12!!
We have had many larger guests who have had no problem with the En:suite nor closing the door. We do not need to ask people for their sizes. Its pretty rude and very bad mannered to ask people that question, dont you think!!!
The television is on the shelf above the door NOT suspended from the ceiling, So that people do not knock themselves as they pass,which you will find in most B/B's and Hotels.
I would not say that a mirror and a glass shelf is a plastic thing. Not to sure what you were looking at or talking about.

Our Hotel policy is that we ask all our guests if everything is fine with the room. If the answer is no we will do everything we can to help change things to make it better for our guests, But if they reply with a lie after being asked the question then there is not much we can do !!!

I nearly forgot.
Regarding Blackpool air, the one way system and the car parking there is not much we can do about that.
I suggest you you talk to Blackpool council about the last two. The first one well, good luck in finding the right person to complain to!!!

Bolton, Lancs
Reviewed November 3, 2006

I have stayed on and off at the Norwood maybe a dozen or more times on Business.

The hotel itself is spotless and well maintained. Situated on Hull Road which is just behind Coral Island. Nobody would have trouble getting to any of the attraction from here.

The hosts/owners/family that run this hotel are the friendliest couple you could care to meet - accepting and yet professional they make you want to keep coming back to check in with them, never intrusive and never crossing that guest/staff boundary.

The hotel has recieved a few awards and they are well deserved for the dedication to service that they exhibit to all their guest.

The breakfast is excellent and churned out to order relentlessly day after day with a smile and a good morning.

I cannot recommend highly enough wether it's for a few nights or a longer stay you will not be disappointed.

The bar is cosy with a large TV and large selection of drinks/brews to warm you in winter or cool you in summer - for the size of hotel the selection is very good.

The rooms are fresh and well proportioned and the few rooms still needing decorated are still acceptable in decor - I think I might have tried them all by now.

They also have WiFi access and a PC which I found very useful and that in itself saved me a fortune because it was free.

All in all - I think I have seen this hotel at its busiest and quietist over my various visits and I had my doubts about business traveller staying in a small guesthouse/hotel - I think all credit to the hoteliers (Lorraine and Geoff) for altering my misguided perception of what some of Blackpool quality smaller hotels can offer to everyone.

Would recommend for everyone to give it a go.

• Liked — The hosts, the level of service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Tips/Secrets — Very hard to get booked at weekends or over the weekend - very popular - so book in advance
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business