“coach trip”
Review of La Tour

La Tour
Ranked #278 of 863 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 21, 2012

we went to this hotel on a coach trip, the food was very good, served in a lovely dining room, the waiting staff were very friendly and helpfull, they were very organised, and served us almost at once, it was very good value , the location was great, the rooms were very spacious with plenty of tea and coffee,the cabaret was good, i woulld recomend this hotel to anyone visiting blackpoo

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank carol54rugby

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I and my family spent 2 nights at the hotel, the first problem was getting my mother who is in a wheelchair my sister had to go in side and down stairs to open a door leading into the dining room we had to manouver round tables to get to the lift which took ages, after that mother said she would use the front steps which she did (with a struggle) and we had to carry the wheelchair up the steps too. We were given a room with a double bed which i had to share with my sister and mum had to sleep on the bottom bed of the bunks not very good for a woman in her eighties, our room was at the front of the hotel and found it very noisy. But the food was lovely especialy the breakfast, good selection of food.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank patsyCrewe
latourhotel, Manager at La Tour, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear you found our food enjoyable. Regarding your other comments about accessibility. As you booked through a coach company we only received the rooming list the day before you arrived. There was no mention about any person travelling requiring an accessible room. As we were fully booked and most other guests had arrived we had very few options remaining to offer you. Our access statement is available on our website and this clearly states the layout and describes how guests with mobility problems can access the hotel. We did everything we could to make your stay easier considering we never informed of your mobility issues until you arrived. We cannot do anything about the noise as the windows are already double glazed. Being located on a main street in Blackpool town centre there is bound to be some noise from traffic, never mind other tourists. We feel your complaint should be made direct to your coach travel company as your contract is with them; and it is their lack of communication with us that led this problem occuring.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

stayed here for 4 nights bed breakfast evening meal with travelstyle, this a nice hotel in a nice location (5 mins walk to beach/tower etc.) had a great week here, stayed in a twin room with my 13 yr old daughter, yes there was a bit old of dirt/mould in the corner of the shower and a bit of fluff on the carpet, BIG DEAL for what i paid i didnt expect buckingham palace, the rooms are hygienicaly cleaned everday and thats good enough for me, yes the rooms do get very warm but only takes a minute to cool down with an open window, food was excellent every day and staff very friendly and polite, there was a vegetarian sat next to us and practically made her whatever she wanted (just let staff know at breakfast)
sadly didnt realy go to the entertainment cos we were out but did seem good when we came out, if your not too much of a fussy person then give this hotel a try cos there will be a lot worse than this and i certainly WILL return :-)

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank yorkshiregav
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Monday - I arrived at Hamilton Palace Grounds to await my bus to Blackpool, La tour Hotel through Blackpool Breaks. Mr son is not a good traveller, my son was wearing sickness bands and I also had a tub for him to be sick in. When we reached Blackpool my son was sick, I advised the driver to be told in an unpleasent manner to clean it up. I had no issues cleaning it up I only asked if he had a spray to make sure it was cleaned right. I only had baby wipes and did the best I could. I offered to pay for the area to be cleaned professionally and was told "no you will clean it". the toilet on the bus was not working and we only had one stop which was hard to explain to my son that he could not drink any water, there was also other children on the bus and I find this unacceptable as the journey was 4 hours and we stopped after 1 hour for 45 minutes.
When we arrived at La Tour Hotel, I advised the receptionist at the time that I was looking for my paperwork to be told "I DONT NEED ANY PAPERWORK, ONLY YOUR NAME" in an unpleasent manner, after I had checked myself, my friend and my son in I was asked to choose my meal for the Monday night, I asked what childrens meals were available, I was told chicken nuggets, burger, pizza and fish fingers but advised that the receptionisit would rather the children choose from the adults menu and receive a smaller protion. My son choose chicken mcnuggets. It was only that night that I found out the receptionsist was the owner.
I then entered my room to find the border had started to peel off the walls at certain areas and the celling tiles (6) had damp patches on them.
We atteneded dinner and myself and my freind had ordered the chicken, the chicken was pink inside and I told my friend not to eat it. My son was served a plate with chicken mcnuggets on it and nothing else, when I asked the waitress if that was all he was getting I was advised he had to eat potatoes with it. You were lucky if there were four potaties between three people in the silver dish. And how could you expect a 5 year old to eat potatoes with chicken mcnuggets. My son took one bite and said it was stinking when I looked it was the brown chicken inside and they were hard. I find this very unsatisfactory and advised my son not to eat them.
I went to complain to the Manager Una on the tuesday to advise about my son's meals and also the fact that the Hotel advertising that dinner can be altered from 6.00pm, when I asked this question I was told dinner was at 6pm prompt, when I complained about the chicken mcnuggets, the manager advised that she did not agree with a childrens menu and would prefer they ate from the original menu, well why advertise it. I informed the manager that I was ntot happy and would take my complaint to Blackpool Breaks, The manager phoned the company while I was standing their, when I explained the situation I was basically told "tuff" that is the rules of the hotel, I decided not to argue with them as it seemed pointless they seemed to think that a plate of chicken mcnuggets was acceptable with basically 1 potatoe for a child.
I proceeded to phone my family back home and advise of what had happened, a family member phoned Blackpool Breaks and was told that if I was not happy that I had to pack my stuff move to another Hotel pay for it by myself and make my own way home and would be reimbursed when I returned. Blackpool breaks find it accepatable to advise this and put 2 yound girls and a child of 5 out on the street, this made be very unhappy and frighten of being evicted so I deciced not to complain again, I didnt have the money to book into another hotel and make my own way home, I am a single parent.
The Manager then advised after all the phonecalls that she would try her best to accommodate the meal issues. She then went onto explain that she only received £17.50 a day per adult and £7.50 per child and could not afford to put her fryer on just to accommodate chips for 1 child, well what was wrong with oven chips or smillie faces as they do advertise they are a family friendly hotel. At the end of the day I payed £750.00 for a week for 2 adults and 1 kid. I did explain that my son does like potatoes but not with chicken mcnuggets. The manager through the rest of my holiday was making excuses in my book by staying she had a sore knee and had been crabit when I arrived. I did not go for dinner on several occasions and I am glad because I was informed by other residents that they found hairs in their dinners and could not cut the meat. If you like soup then you would need to like it with pepper as it was cooked with pepper and when I ordered a kids soup it had garnish on it which kids don't like but this was after I was advised to choose from the main menu, what kid like pepper and garnish?.
I attened dinner on the night it was steak pie and there was 4/5 pieces of stew and a small piece of pastry, the portions were a disgrace and the table next to me asked what have I do do with that.
I spoke with a resident that had been to the hotel for at 10 years running, she even complained to the manager throughout the week and the excuse was it was a new cook.
I decied to stick to salad which was lovely but you cant go wrong with salad, on the last night of my stay I ordered cheese cake, when I received it, it was still frozen.
The breakfast, when items ran out and you asked the waiter/waitress you were told that what is there that is it, this happened on several occasions and it was only 9am breakfast was served until 9.30am. The same also happened with desert at dinner time, this hotel does not cater for the amount of people they offer rooms too, total disappointment.
On one of the nights I did attend for dinner, all three of use had prawn cocktail which was lovely. I dont know if it was too heavy in my sons stomach but he was sick on the table, I put my hand up for a waitress to come over and explain what had happened, I asked if she would assist myself and my friend to take the table covers off to be advised that the pink one could be removed but the white one had to remain which had sick on it, with no joy from the waitress I removed both covers with the help of my friend and handed them to the waitress why should you be expected to sit with sick covers on your tables, these things happen with kids, but I was also informed that the napkins which you used in the morning was folded back into the glasses and you have to use them at night, totally unacceptable.
During my weeks stay I had to approach a cleaner and asked for my room to be hoovered, our beds were not changed within the week which I find disgusting as the rooms were boiling. I eventually had to ask for a fan because it was unabearable to get ready in or sleep in. You were also expected to use your towles more than once, there is a notice on the bathroom door, I dont go on holiday to worry about house cleaning.
I cant make comment of the entertainment as I went out everynight.
I am not the only one who was complaining outside the hotel, everyone was I just hope they have the gutts to take it forward as this hotel was not value for money, and basically I had to buy food every night for my son.
I am writing this review so that everyone can see what I went through for 7 days, I was totally frighten to complain in case I was thrown out on the street and just accepted this, well this is not acceptable it ruined my holiday, I am totally gutted, I only manage to get away once a year and it was a pure let down the hotel and Backpool breaks, I will never book a holiday through this company again or book this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel, not value for money, portions of food small, not family orientated and not h...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynn P
latourhotel, Manager at La Tour, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

This guest did not tell us when she checked in about her bus journey or that her son was a picky eater. We have no control over the bus company or their drivers and cannot be held responsible for their actions. We do offer children's meals however most of the children that stay here take smaller portions of the adult meals (including garnishes and condiments). Many parents do not allow them to eat chips with every meal. We have an industrial size fryer that is very expensive to run and cannot be expected to turn it on for one person; nor can we be expected to buy in stock that will only be used by one person who does not have an actual allergy or restriction due to health issues (ie celiac, diabetic). When this group did attend for meals they were always late (dinner is clearly advertised as 6pm prompt and breakfast 830-930am). We cannot be expected to hold our service back for those who do not attend when requested. We do offer altered meal times when at least half of our guests request it (ie for an event in the town) not just for 3 people.
The owner asked this guest every day if there was something we could offer the child for meals but answers were never given. After her initial complaint to us and the call to Blackpool Breaks, she was offered an alternative hotel and a partial refund. The guest did not take either offer. There was no question of this group being "put out onto the street." This guest created an atmosphere wherever she went in the building, to such an extent that our staff dreaded her attending at meal times. All other complaints about the food are completely unwarranted as the review directly below this was from the same date. Of the alleged £750 paid for her holiday we received less than half that amount for the week, including VAT. We received no other complaints from our other guests (both regulars and new guests) during this week and those who are staying with us now and have read this review are wondering if this guest even stayed here?!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed on the weekend of 3rd & 4th August for our anniversary and my wifes birthday respectively , and would Just like to say what an excellent weekend we had here , the food was fantastic and the drinks also , the entertainment was amazing each night we had to great caberets , almost bringing the roof of with there amazing voices & also the jokes they told , we really enjoyed the lovely Irish couple who helps out there , really nice people , all La tour's staff were amazing who got on really well with everyone we had a really good laugh with the bar staff & it felt like we knew everyone for ages , our room was also lovely and a comfy bed too , the hotel itself is situated in an ideal location & everything pretty close by , we sure hope this tripaway comes up again so we can come back and see all the lovely staff and have another fantastic weekend , like the one we have Just had , so no problems no complaints it was alll Just so amazing , and we would recommend this to any one reading this , you won't be let down

Thankyou to all who's connected with La tour , Kindest regards Mr & Mrs Winton

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank winniewint1969
Reviewed July 14, 2012

i stayed with my young daughter and here is our experence
FOOD.... i did not think the food was that great the veg soup consisted of hard vegtables and the tomato soup was very strong but the chicken soup was FAB!! my daughters choice was alright but the burger was very dry and the nuggets even i couldnt eat them! for sunday dinner i got lamb it was lovely but ONE roast potato!!! the veg was rock hard (but i have been told thats how they make veg in england) breakfast was good but mushrooms were really really dry(maybe put them in butter?)
my daughter went to eat her ceral and the milk was off one morning, but i must say the waitress apologised and she worked so hard the days i saw her that i let this go i must add one group of 6 people said they LOVED the food
ACCOMODATION...... Our room was lovely we shared a double bed which i was happy to do, the bed was mega comfy, the decor lovely and the room was a good size i slept so well!!
STAFF.... scott was so nice and friendly and made a great effort to talk to me and my daughter when no other staff really did he was brill and deserves a pay rise! the waitress (sorry cant remember your name) was very attentive and lovely!
ENTERTAINMENT...... as there was only 27 people staying sadly did not get much one night we played bingo and a woman sang she was good thou, and the management asked if we wanted someone for following night but everyone was going out, so cant say much about this
LOCATION...... i get lost so easy but this hotel was near to everything and easy to find!!

overall i was happy with some aspects but was disapointed with the food but this could be personal choice i had read reviews and maybe expected more? i disagree with people saying it was in need of repair yes maybe odd things but on whole it was lovely.

(i am giving top marks for service mainly for scott and waitress)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank allieballiebee
Reviewed July 7, 2012

this hotel is more aimed at over 60's, stayed here with my mother and son ,was worst experience ever, not much choice on menu, had to take my son out as he didn't like any food, the lentil soup we got was clearly off and stank, no entertainment, was boring and room was in bad need of decorating ,although beds were comfy, room was so hot every night even though the bar man gave us a fan, the hotel across the road let all guests staying at la tour in for the entertainment and made us welcome, which our hotel failed to do, on the plus side SCOTT the barman was lovely to talk to and staff in dinning room very freindly, AVOID UNLESS OVER 60.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank louise37_12
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

We are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay at La Tour. Most of our guests are over 60 however we have numerous younger guests who have had an excellent stay here. Your comments regarding the soup are incorrect. We received no other complaints and all our soups are home made, in this case with a smoked ham joint which is perhaps where the so-called smell came from? We do offer kids meals if children do not wish to eat our menu, which consists of at least 3 choices at every point. This is more than most other hotels in Blackpool, especially at the price that was paid for your stay. We provided entertainment (Ryan Knight) on the first night of your stay which hardly anyone, including yourself, attended. If you had been there you would certainly have enjoyed his performance as all our cabaret acts are excellent; he "brought the house down" for our current guests yesterday evening. As we were not very busy that week and no one was interested in staying in we chose not to provide any more entertainment. You were allocated rooms on the second floor. These were last redecorated in Winter 2011 and are often our most requested rooms, hence they may show some wear and tear sooner than others. All the rooms have a thermostat on the radiator so you are able to control the temperature yourself. We are pleased however to hear you found our staff friendly and your beds were comfy. We can only say that if we had been busier perhaps you would have enjoyed your stay more as there is always a better atmosphere with more people around?