“Classic hotel, good food, comfortable.”

Best Western Carlton Hotel
Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Hullbridge, United Kingdom
“Classic hotel, good food, comfortable.”
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

A classic hotel but the decoration is a little tired, but it has character. We had a room overlooking the sea. Very competitive prices. Food good, breakfast and dinner, including a choice of Indian food. Staff helpful. Car park in front of hotel. Trams pass the hotel with a stop opposite. A stroll along the front to the tower takes about 15 mins. Would stay again, enjoyed our one night stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AshGaur, Manager at Best Western Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
ear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule to post your feedback about your experience at the BEST WESTERN CARLTON HOTEL.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I am glad that you enjoyed the location, character of the room, food and service provided by my dedicated team members.

I would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest and I am looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Ash Gaur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel is a little bit worn around the edges but our price reflected this. It was cleaner than most hotels I have stayed in and the staff were excellent. I would happily stay there again. The lady who checked us in and out was lovely and has a lot of local knowledge which we found really useful.

Room Tip: We booked a twin room which was on the side of the building and a bit dark but we didn't spend m...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MrsLB53
Dear Valued Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I am happy to note that we were able to meet up to your expectations and you enjoyed the service levels at the hotel.

UK
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Following our stay here I e mailed the manager, and also wrote to him regarding the awful time that my husband and I had, he has not even had the decency to reply, this only goes to support my thoughts on the type of people running this hotel.

We booked our stay online, and were very impressed by the photos of the rooms on the website, this being a major factor in our booking this stay.
However the first room that we were offered, 201 was totally unacceptable, this being what could only be described as a single occupancy room, there was not even a chair for one to sit, not that a chair could have been fitted in the room !
We returned to the reception and were then offered room 101, a slightly larger room at the back of your hotel but still not representative of the photos that are published on the website.
We reluctantly accepted this room despite the obvious lack of cleanliness and care.
Given the photos on the website that we viewed before booking I consider that we were misled and deceived into booking this hotel, not only were the rooms offered nothing like the room advertised, they were also not of a standard one would expect of a 3 star hotel.
The windows were filthy, I would not like to hazard a guess as to when they were last cleaned, although this did mask the view of the fire escape, kitchen extractor fans and the tyre/exhaust centre. The sills and headboard inside the room had obviously not been cleaned for some considerable time given the amount of dust and dirt on them.
The complimentary toiletries consisted of 2 small guest soaps and 2 shower caps !
Other concerns regarding the room.
None of the electrical items had an up to date PAT label so had obviously not been checked for some considerable time !
The door to the room was not of a good fit, there being a considerable gap at the bottom of the door which would compromise ones safety in the event of a fire.
Breakfast.
The food offered at breakfast was extremely good, albeit not really hot, although the waiting staff were very good in having my meal heated in the kitchen. I have no problems with buffet style breakfasts though it would have been nice to be offered tea and coffee pots and to have toast arrive at the table in a toast rack as one would expect.
We have stayed in B&Bs where tea pots and toast racks are the norm, and the rooms are clean.
To summarize our stay, this hotel was extremely disappointing and as I stated above we feel that we were misled and deceived as to the standards of this hotel, it is certainly not deserving of it's 3 star rating !!.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank juliet_leech

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Burnham-on-Crouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I can imagine that 30 years ago this was a lovely hotel - the remains are still there to be seen.

Sadly, it's about 20 years past the need to be refurbished and despite the efforts of the hard working Staff and Management, there is no hiding the peeling wallpaper and general lack of facilities.

Our room was small and (during our stay) either too cold or too hot. The bed was so soft it was like a trampoline although no shortage of bedding or pillows and in 3 nights I did not have one decent night's sleep. Draw space was at a minimum and one half of the curtains was hanging down like it had been swung on by a monkey. The flat screen TV with freeview channels was a great plus point.

The bathroom was a step up and the shower cubicle again small with a fixed shower head and no removable spray to wash yourself down with, but the most obvious spoiler was the sealant around the floor corners etc., which looked like a small child had been smearing rubber putty around - certainly not done by anyone with any experience and totally failing in any attempt to actually make it waterproof. Why is there never anywhere to hang towels or hold your own shampoo or soap in hotel bathrooms?

There were no extra towels as promised, the single hook on the back of the door was snapped off.

Every fault mentioned to the Staff was sorted within a blink of the eye so full marks to them.

We wanted to eat in the bar but most of the bar meals weren't available. Prior to this we wanted to eat in the attached Indian Restaurant but found out this had been closed since October last year but this is still advertised as available when booking.

We ate twice in the restaurant where the service was attentive and the food worth the money. We'd have liked to have seen some menu variations during our time in the way of specials but there were none.

Breakfast was as expected and asking for additions to the buffet such as warm milk or scrambled eggs was no trouble and quickly supplied. The help yourself to tea or coffee from pump operated vacuum flasks was disappointing - it's nice to be served coffee and top-ups to the table, and even toast would have been nice. The help yourself toaster suffered the same as many hotels with one travel through the toaster resulting in warm bread with fine darker lines but 2 travels produced smoke and burnt toast - when will any hotel get this right?

A HUGE disappointment was the lack of a disabled toilet near the reception / bar / restaurant area which I thought was a legal requirement these days?

So in summary - a complete refurbishment and modernisation is needed - but for goodness sake keep the Staff - they are the ONLY reason we would ever consider returning to this Hotel.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different Hotel until this one is refurbished.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian S
AshGaur, Manager at Best Western Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule to post your detailed feedback about your experience at the BEST WESTERN CARLTON HOTEL.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I appreciate your comments about the services provided by my team members. We as a team strive hard to compensate the product with service standards and take every single effort to make your stay extra special.

To address to your comment regarding Disabled Toilets, I would like to inform you that we do have Disabled toilets in the lobby as per the legal requirement. I am sure knowing this will reduce or nullify your huge disappointment.

Also I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that plans are in place to refurbish our hotel next year.

I would love to have the pleasure of seeing you next year and I am looking forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Great location, on the front, but away from the busy part. This hotel is a good three star. Rooms reasonable size, facilities good. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast good and filling. I am always wary at staying somewhere I have not stayed at before, especially in the likes of Blackpool where quality can vary quite a lot. This hotel is good clean and friendly so I will stay again. Blackpool the town its self though is looking a bit tired, needs a lick of paint and a spruce up a bit....sign of the times. Anyway the hotel is good

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank conkadina
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you once again for your fantastic feedback. Such comments from our valuable guests help us to serve our guest in a better way every time they visit our hotel.

Poole
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great location just past the North Pier. Near enough to the rail station and attractions, but far away from all the noise. Right opposite the tram stop. Excellent value for money, especially as we had a sea view. Room was very clean with a huge bathroom and lots of hot water, and the bed was very comfy and we slept soundly. Definitely a hotel for business travellers and older couples who wish to have a bit of peace and quiet. No rowdy drunks. Having a zero tolerance to smoking certainly an asset. We didn't have an evening meal there, but I can vouch for the breakfast. There was lots to choose from, and the young waiter was very attentive. Sunday was very cold, and although the heating wasn't yet on, they happily brought us a heater for our room. The reception wasn't the friendliest I've encountered, except for the Russian lady. However, they were there all the time and willing to sort out any problems and offer any help. Would certainly come back to this hotel if I visited Blackpool again, and you can always rely on the Best Western brand of hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barnsley
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I enjoyed this lovely friendly hotel staff very helpful. The hotel was
clean comfy hotel.
We had breakfast and the food was fresh and cooked food was hot with plenty of choice.
would recommend I would stay again nothing that I didn't like apart from leaving .
hope to stay again soon