“Fantastic Day Out.”

Blackpool Zoo
Ranked #9 of 85 things to do in Blackpool
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Blackpool Zoo is a family friendly attraction, providing fun and education for all ages. Situated only 2 miles inland the Promenade, the park is easily accessible from the M55 motorway. Over 1000 animals, birds and reptiles reside in a scenic 32 acre park amidst mature trees, lakes and spacious lawns where the kids can burn off their excess energy. All your favourites are here including big cats, elephants, giraffes, sealions, gorillas, orangutans, camels, zebras and many, many more. Opened in 2014, the new Orangutan Outlook allows visitors to get up close and personal with these charismatic apes. Open daily (except Christmas Day) from 10 am, the park's closing times vary seasonally.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We went to the zoo on 22/8/2010 and had a great time. The sun was shining and we really enjoyed the day. The animals all seemed well cared for and happy from the smallest bird to the biggest animal the elephant. The staff were very helpful and the keepers were fantastic especially with visiting children. There are lots of talks and feeding times, I can recommend the lions feeding time and the sea lion show. Lots of places to get snacks or ice creams and you can even get packed lunches at the cafe by the entrance to the dinasors kingdom. ONE TIP IF YOU NEED TO BORROW A WHEELCHAIR THEN RING UP AND BOOK ONE IN ADVANCE PROBABLY THE DAY BEFORE [there is a refundable deposit of £10 but the hire is free!!]. Disabled visitors are better off buying their tickets at the zoo rather than through their hotel, we could have saved £12 if we had known this!!! Have a great time!!!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,290)
All reviews
in 580 reviews
"talks"
in 441 reviews

Reviewed August 22, 2010

The entrance to the Zoo had been massively improved since the last time I went to Blackpool so I was really excited to see what changes had taken place inside. There didnt seem to be a huge amount of difference to the inside. The entrance seemed to have had a fortune spent on it while parts of the inside of the Zoo came across as quite dated.

Having said that we still enjoyed a lovely day out here. There was a good assortment of animals but not many of each to see. Things seemed a little sparse here and there. The seal show however was superb and in really lovely surroundings.

The farm section of the Zoo is adorable especially for the younger children and is quite Hands On.The train ride takes you here but again costs extra money and we had already found the zoo far too expensive for entry when you comapre it to other zoos to then pay more money for this.

The Dinosaur Safari was disappointing to say the least. The dinosaurs were badly painted and faded and I think would be a disappointment for a little child that was hugely into dinosaurs.

The restaurant was spotless and well stocked but perhaps shouldnt be the most impressive thing about a zoo.

The insect and reptile section is old and drab and really needs a good makeover.

Overpriced but an okay day.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

Been to the zoo today, had an excellcent time, lots of new animals to see since our last visit several years ago. I loved the new sea lion enclosure. I will definately return next time i'm in Blackpool.

Reviewed May 15, 2010

Went here with friends in the October 2009 and was pleased. I'd been before as a kid and it was extremely disappointing.
However, I thoroughly enjoyed my day. I return to my usual stance on Zoo's...it isn't Chester, but on the other hand it has a good range of animals from the lions and giraffes to my personal favourites, the otters and comes without Chester's hefty price tag.
The feeding/ Keeper talks here are brilliant and the sea lions were awesome.
I also found that due to the zoo being quieter than bigger zoo's you were able to hear the staff better.
I think this zoo offers a lot for your money...and the Dinosaur Safari is an added interest and makes for some good photo opportunities even if it is a little dull to non-family groups.
The zoo has changed a fair bit in the past ten years, though I still find the indoor enclosures a bit depressing to see.
Overall...you get what you pay for :)

See more reviews
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Not many Seaside Towns can boast a Zoo as impressive as Blackpool! Went along on my recent Blackpool break and was really quite impressed. The Zoo is nicely laid out and very easy to navigate with lots of open spaces to relax in and a great Cafe serving a wide range of different foods and snacks, not to mention plenty of ice cream "huts." There is a little train the runs round the perimeter and a petting Zoo, amongst other things, where you can get up close and personal. I especially loved the newest concepts - Giraffe Towers where you can say a proper hello to the Giraffes' faces, not their legs, the jungle enclosure next the Elephants and the new mini-pool for the Penguins/Sea Lions/Otters (the main pool was being developed when we were there). A great day out for any age, can't wait to go back, especially to see the new Tigers!