“awesome day out, going back when warmer”
Review of Blackpool Zoo

Blackpool Zoo
Ranked #9 of 85 things to do in Blackpool
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Blackpool Zoo is a family friendly attraction, providing fun and education for all ages. Situated only 2 miles inland the Promenade, the park is easily accessible from the M55 motorway. Over 1000 animals, birds and reptiles reside in a scenic 32 acre park amidst mature trees, lakes and spacious lawns where the kids can burn off their excess energy. All your favourites are here including big cats, elephants, giraffes, sealions, gorillas, orangutans, camels, zebras and many, many more. Opened in 2014, the new Orangutan Outlook allows visitors to get up close and personal with these charismatic apes. Open daily (except Christmas Day) from 10 am, the park's closing times vary seasonally.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed February 18, 2013

you can walk in amongst the lemas and boy are they nuts, definetly take a camera, great value x the wolf enclosure was something we had not seen before and the whole area is wheel chair and buggy friendly, sea lion display is also well worth a look x

2  Thank shhimback
Write a ReviewReviews (5,244)
All reviews
"talks"
in 441 reviews

Reviewed February 15, 2013

HI,
This is my first negative report, read my others and you'll find out I am a positive person.

I visited on my own on 14th february 2013 and I used my tesco vouchers to get in here, I am pleased it only cost me a £5 on the voucher exchange and not the full £15.50 it should of cost.

At this time of year there should be a midweek discount on the ticket price, why should I pay the same as a summer visitor when most of the shows and demonstrations are not on and half of the park fenced off.
The only toilet was a 20 minute walk back to the main entrance. And yes! the cafe looked nice, but I want to have a cuppa whilst viewing the park grounds and hopefully sighting a non human animal or 2, where as I can sit in a cafe anywhere and watch other customers eating and drinking. Maybe open one kiosk at the far end of the park, that would be very thoughtful, shows that the zoo cares about it's customers.
And after buying my entrance ticket I went through the doors into the park itself where I had to battle my way through smoke and 2 men standing chatting ( these were corporate guests from the radio station using the parks function room.)

I walked here as my hotel was only a 30 min walk away, no buses run at this time of year. I even ended up feeling guilty for walking in as it was clear pedestrians where the last thing on their mind as the pedestrian gate was locked so I had to walk on the road.

I knew it was out of season but there was alot of the facilities unavailable during mon-fri, I tried to follow the signs but finding the paths fenced off had no way of knowing how to get to where I wanted. I wasn't offered neither saw any sort of map on entering so I assumed the park was well signed and laid out.
A lot of areas and paths were fenced off, empty pens, animals locked away (and yes I know it was cold and the animals would wanted to be tucked up warm and cosy) and lack of facilities to view them in their bedrooms.

Hold on...I did enjoy some bits....

being out of season the giraffes were locked inside meaning you could get very up close and personal in the tall tower.
The elephants where locked in to. One was having a pedicure by pressure washer, it would of been so lovely if the 2 keepers working on the elephant could manage to pop a smile on their faces, maybe even ask if I and the crowd watching had any questions??? but maybe the smiles where being saved for the weekend customers, you know...the ones they charge the same price for but do bird flyng shows, creepcrawly talks and other demonstrations for. I didnt feel able to ask sour faced keepers anything...sorry :(

I spent only 90 minutes in the park, which was more than adequate. I even spent 10 mins of that sitting and admiring the tiger.

sorry to be so negative, i was looking forward to this and was sorely disappointed.

There is no locker storage so I had to cart my bag around with me, if you do take a packed lunch for your family, make it a wheeled cool box.

1  Thank juliettejojomark
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We visited the zoo during half term holiday - me, my two children (aged 6 and 10) and my parents who hadn't been for 38 years. What a brilliant day out for all the family.
The zoo keepers are thoroughly knowledgeable and really care for the animals. They are Also happy to chat to the visitors and impart their knowledge.
The sea lion display is a must. To watch 3 generations laugh out loud at their antics was a joy.
We ate in the cafe which was clean and efficiently run with speedy service and excellent paninis, jacket potatoes and children's menu. The food was great value for money too.
"One for the memory bank" as days out go....we only wish we lived nearer!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Fabulous Zoo
We followed the time table and the kids loved it - It is a FULL day out - GREAT!
Staff are dedicated to their work and are very helpful.
The Shows and talks are brilliant as is the laughter.
'A good time was had by all'

1  Thank cumonyooreds