“Great Staff”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #29 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had a two night saty as part of the Brass Band weekend, the Hotel although a little dated was excellent, food was good, breakfast was great,and have to say the staff were superb,nothing was to much trouble,the girls on reception even when dealing with a very difficult guest were very polite and had a smile at all times,well done all the staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Alison G, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Guest. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Imperial Hotel, Blackpool, part of the Puma Hotels Collection. I am a proud Hotel Manager and consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who, I believe, genuinely care about our guest's comfort and enjoyment. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next planning a trip to Blackpool. Kind regards, Alison

Write a ReviewReviews (3,376)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at this hotel over the last twelve months, on both previous occassions we had two very different rooms, one which was lovely and another which was a complete shambles. On this occassion we were allocated a family room overlooking the beach which was great, the room was a good size and we seemed to have got lucky on this occassion. When we started to look at the room a little bit closer there were a number of things that should not be present in a 4 star hotel! Cleanliness is a big issue for us and the room was not in a great condition, dust on sideboards, dirt below the window frames and stains on the sofa. The ceilings were in a terrible condition, huge cracks and plaster coming away, obvious damp patches on the ceilings and walls. As soon as we walked into the room there was a musty damp smell that was not the most welcoming of things! The beds were very comfortable and the hotel was quiet over our two night stay so no noise to disturb us. As previous reviews have stated this hotel is well past its best, it needs money put into it to fast to fix all the issues that are dragging it down. We were told last year by the previous manager that the hotel was due to get refurbished and the bedrooms would be done as a matter of urgency, well we are now at least 9 months down the line and the hotel has continued to decline. For me the hotel is living on its name from previous years, and with so much competition in the area it is only a matter of time before either the nightly rate drops vastly or the doors shut once and for all. We are due back in Blackpool in July and this time we will be staying elsewhere!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Alex2009Glasgow

Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I've just returned to the Hotel after two years away, and am once again looking forward to the challenge of managing this wonderful building. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are next in the area. Kind regards, Alison

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed at the Imperial for three nights during May 2013.I have stayed at the imperial several times in the past and enjoyed it very much. It has been some 12 or 13 years since I stayed at this hotel so I was curious to see if it had changed. Upon arrival my husband was impressed by reception and the same old character and charm was evident. However, we were very disappointed with our room. I paid for an above standard double room which was very small with plaster and paint coming off the ceiling. The bathroom was small and the bed very uncomfortable. I had paid £326 for three nights including breakfast. My husband was not at all happy so we asked to be moved but was told the only other room available was the Balmoral suite which would cost me an extra £50 a night. I was not happy with this but since I was feeling unwell I agreed to pay as I just wanted to settle down. The balmoral suite is very pleasant with a separate living area ( see attached pics) with good sea views and a nice bathroom with huge king size bed. As nice as the room was it was very cold, and for the whole duration we slept with layers of clothes on and jumpers. We tried to get the heaters to work but could do nothing with them. I was suffering from the flu at the time so this made me feel worse. We did complain to reception who told us that they can turn up the heating from reception. This is not the point. Residents should be able to control the heating in the room themselves and being so cold spoilt my stay in this, otherwise charming room. We had room serivice throughout our stay and did not visit the restuarant as I was not feeling too well. The food is vastly overpriced and gives very poor value for money. The quality of the food is good but it is simply far too expensive. I paid £10.50 for a cheese platter which has three very small pieces of cheese on it and three crackers. This is not good enough. I also paid £16.00 per person for the lamb,which was a very small portion and we were left feeling hungry. The breakfast is very good and gives good value for money. Be aware that you are charged £5.00 every time they bring a tray to your room. For the three nights we stayed it cost me £726 and we had no alcohol.Very pricey! The staff were friendly and helpful. On the last day I decided to have a swim and visit the steam room. I could clearly see that in the 13 years since my last visit, nothing had been done to the Spa in terms of refurbishment and updating. The steam room door woud not shut properly so the steam escaped. The jacuzzi did not work and I noticed some of the drains were a bright green vivid colour. The pool was warm and OK. The Imperial hotel needs some money spent on it. The spa area needs refurbishment and the rooms too. Its a shame because this could be a fine hotel and has the character and history that some of the other modern hotels are lacking. Overall, I was disappointed and will not be going back.

Room Tip: If you can afford it pay for a suite. There is much more room. If you have trouble with anything, li...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank diamondlady11
Alison G, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I have written to you direct to go over the issues you raised. With kind regards, Alison

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stopped here for one night with a cheap on-line deal, and as such didn't expect that much. OK the room had an awful view of the rear of the hotel, with scaffolding everywhere and pigeons.

The room was quite large, and whilst the decor and furniture was old fashioned it was clean and functional. Bathroom more than adequate.

At ground floor level was evidence of its former glory. Staff exceptionally helpful and polite. Drinks a bit expensive in the main bar. Didn't have any meals. Gym looked quite good.

Room Tip: A room with a sea view, but this probably comes at a price.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. With kind regards, Alison

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I always wondered how hotels get their star rating , our experience is certainly not good evidence for a fair star rating , you decide: our double room at the may day bank holiday , ie room 204 did not have enough space to have bed side tables,in fact the double uncomfortable bed was situated to one side of the room adjacent to the wall , the bathroom was brilliantly designed to have a bath and toilet fitted in less than 4 foot of width space, ( very clever) , no space for toileteries or to have enough space to get dry ,
food was average , service for night dinner poor, ( warm white wine served ) but breakfast was better,

advice : do not stay in room 204, or others like it ( how many more are there?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Joseph S

Dear Guest. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am a proud Hotel Manager and consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who, I believe, genuinely care about our guest's comfort and enjoyment. However, I would be naive to think that we cannot and do not make mistakes. I have taken the liberty of responding to you direct. With kind regards, Alison

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently went to Blackpool on a reunion weekend. I stayed at the imperial hotel on the north shore. The room was very spacious and the facilities adequate.The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. Trying to get to sleep was a very different story. The pidgeons were nesting right outside my window. my room was inward facing at the corner of the roof and wall. I eventually gave up trying to get them to move on.If you stay at this hotel make sure you book a room with a view. The transport links are excellent and you can get into the pleasure beach within half an hour. The staff were very friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.I cant comment on the food as we ate out.

Room Tip: book a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Paul F

Dear Guest. It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive review. I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool. I’ve just returned to the Imperial after two years away and am looking forward to the challenge, once more, of looking after this wonderful Hotel. I am sorry you had a disturbed nights sleep due to the pigeons, I am currently looking into a way to try to alleviate the problem. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next planning to visit the area. Kind regards, Alison

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Have stayed several times over the last couple of years and again last night (5th May)
Staff very good, delightful room even though it faced to the rear. Great food at breakfast- good choice and well cooked. The pool and gym are features that keep us returning being to a high standard.
Ok a little outdated here and there. but an interesting building none the less.
Have complemented and recommended the Imperial in the past.
Whats changed?- a party of foul mouthed drunks that drove us out of the bar last night (at 7.30) our party of 5 including a four year old were fed up hearing an extended foul mouthed rant from one of an all male group which was part of much larger group as it happened.
We were followed out the door by another family party of 7 shortly after, leaving two couples who stuck it out.
We left at 10.30 this morning and their first bottles of Perroni beer were already flowing (yes you) I pity the other guests paying £75 and more for tonights 'distractions' while attempting to have a quite drink.
This is supposed to be a quality hotel not some down at heel stag B&B however there seems no problem with large all male parties booking in.
Id be interested to see comments from anyone staying tonight to see what they thought. Finally feel sorry for the staff who might as well not bother, with crowds like that driving people away.
Only other grumble, what seems like the obligatory queue jumping on check out.
Will never stay again.

Room Tip: Check first about large parties of blokes. If in doubt, trust me, book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Whitelavender

Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I have already written to you and hopefully covered all the issues you have raised. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are next in the area. Kind regards, Alison