“Imperial Hotel - very friendly staff and lovely food.”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #25 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Derby, United Kingdom
“Imperial Hotel - very friendly staff and lovely food.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed as Travelzoo deal. Room was fairly small and stuffy but clean and comfortable. The bed was just a double, which was a shock after being used to a super king!!! If we go back we will go with two single beds!! We had booked Bed Breakfast and Evening meal. Food, both breakfast and dinner, was absolutely excellent and nice bottle of complimentary wine with dinner. What was really brilliant were the staff who were so genuinely friendly. Even the man doing some cleaning went out of his way to be really nice. The restaurant staff were excellent with suggestions on the food choices and were entertaining when they were serving us. Food was served in the Palm Court which was a lovely large dining room and you could feel the history in that room. The reception stuff were really friendly and helpful. Such a welcome experience that is not normally seen in a lot of hotels. It almost felt like a family run hotel because of the good atmosphere. We found ourselves chatting to other guests, precipitated by the evening dinner staff. Brilliant, it made for a lovely evening. There is plenty of parking at £3.50 per night and free wifi in all of the building. The hotel is opposite a large beach and you can walk all the way along the promenades into the central area.
An excellent trip.

Room Tip: Might be worth paying for an upgrade or two single beds if you don't like just a double bed!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison G, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review. I was delighted to read that my team looked after you well and made you feel comfortable. I am a proud Hotel Manager and consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who, I believe, genuinely care about our guest's comfort and enjoyment. I do hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel when you are next planning to visit the area. Kind regards, Alison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in a deluxe family room. The room was large and had a huge queen sized bed and a proper single bed. This is a huge plus for the hotel as we have stayed in many where a family room just has a sofa bed. On first look the room looks that of a 4star hotel but on closer inspection there are a numerous of maintenance that needs to be done. Don't misunderstand me the room was extremely clean and tidy and there were robes and bottled water, all the things that you'd expect but the hotel needs to look at the following..... Curtains needed new hooks as some were missing, someone had kindly left a hair tidy to clip them together. The bathroom had tiles on the floor that were cracked and the carpet stains that needed cleaning. The windows in the room were obviously original and needed much work to bring up to modern standards the frames needed replacing and they could not be opened.
The rest of the hotel sort of matches the room, on first glance impressive and opulent but on closer inspection needs a large amount of money to sort out the tiredness.
The staff were all extremely helpful, smiling and obviously happy in their jobs, a wonderful positive for the hotel. Breakfast was plentiful and thoroughly enjoyed.
Hopefully the hotel will continue to be improved so that it can match its 4 star rating soon. Would certainly look to book again if we are to return to Blackpool.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Helen H
Dear Guest. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us. I've just returned to the Hotel after two years away, and am once again, looking forward to managing this wonderful building. I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel when you are next planning a visit to the area. Kind regards, Alison
manchester , England
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife & I spent a couple of nights here during February using our Tesco deal vouchers.The weather was sunny but very cold,but the hotel was warm and our room was cosy.We were allocated a sea view room at no extra cost ,although it was in the attic( but I am not moaning about this)
The staff were all very pleasant and helpful.The breakfast was good and plentiful and the evening meal was also nice.This is not a five star hotel so don't expect everything to be perfect.
The spa area was clean and warm and again the staff were helpful.We bought a day pass for the Trams on one of our days and spent the day hopping on and of at various locations,good value for money.We travelled the full length of the line from Fleetwood to Squires Gate and enjoyed the views,again the staff on the trams seemed very pleasant and helpful a real surprise in what seemed to becoming Rude Britain
Finally a word of thanks to all the staff for making our short stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dancingrowlands
Nicholas T, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review. I was delighted that you enjoyed your time in Blackpool, in particular at the Hotel. I am a proud Hotel Manager and consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who, I believe, genuinely care about our guest's comfort and enjoyment. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Alison
Redditch UK
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My stay at this jokingly referred to as a 4 star hotel was as bad as it gets. From the unpleasant reception, to the dirty filthy room and the disgustingly filthy window I would not stay here if my life depended on it - please, if you read this, BOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE.
I expect the pathetic general manager will respond and thank me for my constructive comments and even say - but hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Nick Testa, General Manager
Does he NOT read these reviews and have a selection of auto responses? I wouldn't come back if they paid me. Like the rest of the town, dump.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Bobandsash1
Nicholas T, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest, I have just returned after a couple of years away and am very much looking forward to the challenge of managing this wonderful hotel once more. Sir, I was truly sorry to read your comments, especially as you have reviewed us so favourably on a previous stay. You have my assurance that I read every tripadvisor comment but wherever possible, prefer to speak to our guests directly, so that I can investigate exactly where we went wrong. I'm unsure as to whether you did speak to one of my team during your stay, but would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally, if you feel able.
With kindest regards, Alison, "new" GM, incidentally, my signature has not yet been updated, so is still appearing as Nick.
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Spent 2 nights here, all the staff right from the start were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble.Breakfast was buffet style,plenty to choose and well cooked (sausages were brill). Room was clean and tidy, although could do with updating, but saying that, it is an old hotel with character. Bar prices were not cheap, but not over priced. Had a 2nd floor suite which was a good size, but a bit noisy on Saturday night due to a function downstairs untill about 1 am. Overall a great stay, and would return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I've just returned to the Hotel after two years away, and am once again looking forward to the challenge of looking after this wonderful building. I was delighted that overall you enjoyed your time with us, and sorry for you being disturbed by the noise from the function. We always allocate rooms away from any possible noise for guests not attending the function, but quite obviously on this occasion this was not the case. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are next planning to visit Blackpool. Kind regards, Alison
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night as we were in town to see Simple Minds at the Winter Gardens. Check-in was fine but on entering our room (216) we were disappointed to say the least. Dirty room with tatty furniture most of which was covered in a layer of dust. Drew back the net curtain to reveal a filthy windowsill on the inside with a nesting pigeon sitting on its young amidst piles of bird droppings on the outside which was all over the window as well. Bathroom was an utter disgrace, broken toilet seat, rusty taps not to mention discoloured silicone around the sink, bath and tiles which looked like a 5 year old had done it. The sheet on the bed hadn't even been put on properly and the base of the bed had stains of god knows what on it. We immediately went back to reception to ask for an upgrade and were given room 201 at no extra cost which is a damn good job too as this room wasn't much better. Again, filthy windows with piles of droppings everywhere but it didnt really spoil the view immediately below us of a skip containing 2 bed bases and mattresses. On a lighter note, the public areas are pleasant and we had a couple of drinks in the No. 10 bar which was nice. Our stomachs were rumbling but I'm sad to say that there was no way we'd consider eating at this hotel purely because of the state of the filthy rooms, we even left the next morning without having breakfast, we couldn't wait to get out. No way in a million years is this a 4 star hotel and we wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kerryjane104
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights here. The front desk staff was very friendly and allowed us to check in early. Our room had two twin beds. You have to go up a couple of steps to get to a dressing area and the bathroom. There is an electrical outlet in the dressing area. There is another electrical outlet near the desk area. There is not an electrical outlet next to the beds. We were not on the side with a view of the sea, instead we had a view of a roof. The breakfast was good. It was a buffet style and then they cook the hot items to order. There was plenty of parking available. We had a pleasant stay at the hotel.

Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you so much for leaving your review. I was delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am a proud Hotel Manager and consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who, I believe, genuinely care about our guest's comfort and enjoyment. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are next planning a trip to the area. Kind regards, Alison