“Faultless Service”

Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Faultless Service”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Staying for an entire week in one of the better rooms of the hotel we had high expectations.

This classic victorian hotel is full of character and nostalgia but with a modern twist. The facilities and common areas are of an excellent standard and the room we stayed in had a superb sea view on the front of the hotel. The only complaint is the council digging up the tram tracks outside, but we can't really blame the hotel for that now can we.

Overall it was the level of customer service that impressed us the most - from the General Manager down all the way everyone was focused on making sure we had a great time, and we did - in my experience no one is ever perfect its simply how they deal with the problems which sets them apart and they certainly excelled on that element and were on the ball.

To give one example - we missed dinner on the Wednesday evening and the local Indian was closed. The bar staff then set up a private dining area, laid silver service for just the four of us - I've never had a bar menu servered so well :-)

So if you are looking for a hotel with character, a hotel with a great view slightly away from the noise of the pleasure beach then you won't go far wrong with the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool - please pass on my best wishes to the staff.

Room Tip: Book early and be nice to them at check in
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
blackpoolimperial_gm, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Dear Guest, thanks so much for your kind words, I'm delighted you had such a great time and that the team looked after you well. I've found out who was on the bar that night and have passed on your kind comments directly to Andrew and the boys! I'll be using your comments in our meeting tomorrow so thanks for making it a very happy one! Best wishes, Alison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We came to The Imperial for a Round Table & Ladies Circle weekend. We thought the staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The newly trained waiters and waitresses on Saturday night were absolutely brilliant. We were very lucky with the weather, being able to sit on the terrace on Friday afternoon soaking up the sun. Yes the Hotel is a little tired in areas but the overall effect is majestic and the staff more than make up for it. We had a fantastic weekend, the food was superb and I would recommend it to all my friends. Many thanks

2 Thank harobed37
Dear Guest, I've mentioned in a few responses that we thoroughly enjoyed having your event at the hotel, so I'm delighted you felt the same. I wish you a great one in 2012, and we hope to have you back at some stage in the future! with kind regards, Alison
Blackpool
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We visited The Imperial in March for Sunday lunch in the Palm Court Restaurant . We were very impressed by the staff who were all very attentive and pleasant. We were celebrating a couple of family birthdays and couldn't have asked for better service. It made our day very enjoyable.

We called ahead to alert the staff that one of our party has Coeliac Disease and were very grateful that the lady taking the booking (Alison) took the time to call us back to assure us that this could be catered for by your chefs. This was confirmed by her colleague Hayley, who greeted us warmly on arrival and explained the variety of menu choices available, providing a delicious gluten free roll and gravy, which were much appreciated.

The meal was lovely, the waiting staff were very pleasant and the setting was beautiful. We all enjoyed ourselves and really appreciated the care and attention that we were shown.

It is often the case that, even with prior notice, venues don't cater too well for the gluten free diet. This was not the case at the Imperial and we would have no hesitation in returning and recommending the restaurant to our friends and fellow coeliacs!

Will be back soon...only sorry we don't live further away, then we could justify a stay over!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest, how lovely to read your comments about Sunday lunch last week! I've passed on your kind words to Alison and Hayley and am delighted that they looked after you so well. I look forward to meeting you and your family personally next time you're in for lunch. With sincere thanks and kind regards, Alison
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We stayed at the Imperial as part of a group, the hotel is tired and trading on past glories, quite obviously it was the destination hotel of its day and unfortunately its day was probably 30 or 40 years ago. Its four star rating seems generous. The staff are polite and encouragingly speak English but it is the detail that continually let this hotel down at every level over a long weekend.

Our room was tucked away on the fourth floor and probably not used very often [fair enough we were a very big group taking the whole hotel] but that does not excuse someone else’s hair and hairpin on the floor when we arrived, a kettle that was physically broken, a shower set on scalding, a broken room telephone and a room key that 50% of the time didn't work. The corridor doors bang. Incidentally a review below notes the electrical safety stickers on the lights with a comment from the manager that they would be removed "straight away" - still there in my room. The bed is good for a bad back, I didn't have one beofre my stay and I have now, and why do hotels provide three [poor quality] pillows for two guests in a double? Do management never stay in these rooms?

The fourth floor is accessed by its own lift that is clearly also used as the service lift, please please do not place laundry basket trolleys right outside the lift so you cannot get in or out of the lift. The used food / room service plate left next to lift on Saturday morning was still there at midnight.

On arrival we had arranged a package to be delivered and the front desk swore blind it wasn't there, turns out it had been delivered to the kitchen [!] but the kitchen hadn't sent it up to the desk, come on this is basic stuff.

On arrival no credit card imprint was taken so no drinks could be charged to the room, this wasn't just us but lots of people. We ordered room service [using a mobile via the hotel switchboard because the room phone was broken]. Burger and chips usually comes with mayo and tomato ketchup, not mustard, brown sauce and inexplicably tartare sauce - obviously no-one checked the tray before it left. There was then of course the problem of payment because no card had been pre authorised, the room service steward was a bit miffed that I wouldn’t let him walk away with my credit card to charge it at reception. Still not to worry because half an hour later the receptionist herself arrived [third visit after food delivery to get payment]. I'm booked into the hotel for a there night stay, they have my details and I'm being hassled, so I apologise if she got rather short shrift.

After authorising a credit card all was well until check out when it was cheerfully announced that everything had been charged to my card. No explanation of what had been charged to my card, no invoice, no check whether I wanted the card to be used [I prefer to pay cash on check out]. Poor

Finally we attended a gala dinner on the Saturday, as a veteran of probably 200 gala dinners this was amongst the worst. The tables were so close together the serving staff could not get through, there were a wholly inadequate number of serving staff, they were ill trained, each course arrived at tables haphazardly over a 5 to 10 minute period and plates were almost thrown on the table, one of my fellow diners narrowly avoided a gravy on the lap incident when the plate was half put on a napkin, fortunately the table cloth soaked it all up! The bread rolls had run out by the time they got to our table [I had to ask for them] - three rolls for ten diners? The whole meal took several hours to arrive, was badly served and was poor. A hotel of this quality should be able to deal with a 300+ person gala with ease. On my experience as a guest if you are interested in banqueting then avoid. The shining star was the drinks waitress working the front left hand corner who deserves much praise.

Breakfast is a redeeming feature although when I order tea I usually expect to get milk and not be told to go and get it myself from another table.

The cracks in service and the hotel [don't look up in the large function room or too hard on the outside] are very clear, it’s not a bad place to stay but they desperately need to get on top of the detail, building maintenance and customer service.

4 Thank steven_way
Dear Guest, thank you so much for taking the time to register your comments on Trip Advisor. I'd be naive to think that we cannot and do not make mistakes and will be discussing your comments about your experience in my Head of Department meeting tomorrow. Thank you again for your thorough review, with kindest regards, Alison
Camberley UK
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Traditional hotel with loads of character & impressive architecture.Does need a re-furb although bearing in mind the size of the place it won't be cheap. Service is good & staff are friendly & courteous. Bedrooms are clean & tidy but sound proofing is not too good & so you can hear everything going on in the corridors particularly the squeaky floorboards.
My main gripe though was the smoked salmon sandwich off the bar menu. When you're being charged £9 you expect something better than a cheap margarine type spread which frankly tasted horrible.

1 Thank caterpillar9
blackpoolimperial_gm, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2011
Dear Guest, thanks for your time in leaving your thoughts on Trip Advisor, we are about to embark on a project which will see the whole of the outside of the building upgraded. The programme includes refurbishment and/or replacement of windows, re-pointing, painting and cleaning of all fixtures and brickwork. The hotel is going to look fabulous. I was sorry to hear the spread spoiled your enjoyment of your sandwich and have passed your comments onto my Head Chef. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, Alison
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights on the spring 2011 offer so thought it was good value for money. The room overall was fine. The only downside to the room was the bathroom, very dated and nothing matched. The bath had lots of silicone around it which was old/discoloured. The breakfast was excellent with lots of choice. The staff were very attentive and polite. We had dinner one night and again it was just lovely. We used the leisure facilities whilst we were there. The spa was the best we have been in, very hot and the pool was nice and warm. Overall this hotel was great to stay in. I think the problem with The Imperial , although in some areas its very nice, in others it is in need of some updating and refurbishment.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you so much for taknig the time to post your comments, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and I've passed on your kind words to the restauant team. Barcelo is continuing with it's investment in the Imperial and we are about to embark on a refurbishment of the outside of the building. We are also starting work on 22 bathrooms this week. I look forward to meeting you personally next visit. Thank you, Alison
North West England
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Came to stay for one night at The Imperial - unfortunately was disappointed with what we got. Accepting the hotel cannot be liable for all of the traffic disruption in Blackpool we found the hotel no problem - but parking? If parking is limited then please do say.
Given our room key and up to the fourth floor - should have really asked to change but decided that for one night it would be OK but the room wasn't clean (especially the window sill) and the bathroom left a lot to be desired (broken tiles, lights not working).
A terrible night's sleep made worse by the constant banging of the fire door opening and closing behind my head!
This should be a hotel proud of its name. There is no excuse for lack of cleanliness or attention to small details.
There won't be a next time....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Goldblend
blackpoolimperial_gm, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, I appreciate the feedback, and sincerely hope that you also spoke with one of my colleagues whilst you were here so that they could respond immediately. I consider myself lucky to be surrounded by a team who I believe genuinely care about our guests comfort and enjoyment but would be naive to think we cannot make mistakes. I will of course be investigating your comments as much as I can. I can assure you this is unusual, and I sincerely hope that you will try us out again at some point in the future. With kind regards, Alison