“cut above”
Review of Sands Venue

Sands Venue
Ranked #21 of 84 things to do in Blackpool
More attraction details
Owner description: The Sands Venue, Blackpool, offers a unique and sophisticated blend of first class live entertainment in Blackpool and top quality cuisine! This sensational gem located on Blackpool Promenade (just seconds from The Blackpool Tower) recreates the feel of the forties and fifties with starlit ceiling, candlelit tables and stylish décor. Taking you back to those wonderful variety nights with outstanding service and exquisite food. Prepared to be indulged! The Venue also boasts a wonderful Champagne Bar and Fine Dining Restaurant on the top floor featuring magnificent sea views and a special seafood and sushi bar! Also a licensed Wild West Diner on the ground floor.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

the sands offers ameal and cabaret show at around £30 per person the food in well cooked and good quality the venue is excellent quality a cut above others in the resort

1  Thank dollymeg

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Overpriced drinks, bland food, nice place, but wouldn’t rush back.

I went here on a work’s do at the weekend. As it is one of the rare occasions we go out together from work we all were pretty much in the frame of mind to drink, dance and be merry. We went on an 80’s night, where the band dressed up like Adam and The Ants (but didn’t play any!) and they played many 80’s hits which most of us knew. They were very cabaret and typical of Blackpool entertainment, nothing special, but served their purpose. They weren’t very entertaining but were ideal background music.
THE FOOD
The smallest “Duo of Prawns and Crab” I have ever seen, although the half mouthful of crab was nice and the mouthful of prawns tasted fresh.
I had “Slow Braised Beef Steak” with pepper sauce which was surprisingly nice and spicy. The vegetables that accompanied it were bland and tasteless, there was a dollop of something which I guess could have been butternut squash but the taste was that poor I couldn’t really identify it.
Within my dish I found a large piece of white plastic, which looked like it was off the “microwave packaging”. Not one to complain (as was paid for by my work anyway) I carried on with the meal, but we did have a laugh at finding it. My dessert was “Plum and Apple Strudel”, again not a massive portion, but it tasted ok. I also ate my friends “Raspberry and Vanilla Crème Brule” (oink oink) which was delicious, the best part of the meal.
THE SERVICE
I thought many of the staff members although all seemed to be in their early 20’s were polite and did well to cope with the 40 or so of us who were out “on the lash”. Be aware if you leave the table whilst they are dishing out courses they will just throw a plate down in an empty space if no-one owns up to what they are serving. They cleared away empty glasses and plates promptly and kept the table free of any unnecessary clutter.
THE DRINKS
So overpriced, £4.50 for a draft lager, cider drinkers beware, for a pint (which was not available on draft) you are looking at £6.00 as they only have bottles and it takes two for a pint (just over). So at £10.50 for mine and my friends drink, it was followed up with “make it last!”
THE VENUE ITSELF
Toilets were clean and maintained as expected. The venue itself was nice inside with a lovely star effect ceiling, did have that nightclub feel still to it. It would be appropriate for some bigger acts and not just the usual cheesy Blackpool cabaret you find in most large hotels. Although it does have a feel of it being a bit upper class on the inside, it seems to be missing atmosphere. It wasn’t that busy when we went (Friday night), which I guess did leave it lacking in character. There were maybe 10-20 people on the dance floor at any one time. I wouldn’t recommend going as a couple, to me it is more of a venue for groups and parties. One thing that did surprise me, on the main floor there was a door near the disabled toilets clearly marked with “DO NOT OPEN – LIFT MECHANISM INSIDE”, my friend being the nosey begger that she is, opened it up to have a look....I was very surprised that this door was not locked as it did indeed have the lift gubbins inside.!
OVERALL
I personally would avoid going here again, especially to eat and drink and be merry! Unfortunately I am going again towards Christmas as I live in Blackpool and many companies in Blackpool seem to be “trying it out” for various work do’s. I guess when all the local companies have been once, that this place will eventually fade away. It’s too large a venue to be an upmarket eatery (they need to dramatically improve the food if they are heading in that direction), and the drinks are too overpriced for it to be a venue for parties. It would be an ideal location for a casino or over 25’s nightclub.

1  Thank Bluebeard69
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Sands is a hidden gem in Blackpool for cabaret, right next to the Tower. The fact that it doubles as a daytime eatery may deter people form trying the venue. Don't let it, the meal and cabaret are worth it. We visited on a Thursday evening in August and were impressed both by the quality of the food and the Soul tribute act..... one that we have subsequently seen advertised at a much bigger venue in Milton Keynes. It's a select and well decorated venue spread over 2 floors that benefits from smaller parties, on our visit there was plenty of spare tables. We were welcomed and greeted, the drinks weren't the chaeapest in town.... but neither were they over priced for a nightclub venue. This as a place to see good tribute acts and enjoy a meal as a couple or small group.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Me & my husband went It was our 5th wedding anniversary. Were not an old couple early 30's so as I'd never heard any or seen any adverts I was dubious as to how the night would go. Id never really listened to soul so a totlly new experience 4 me as It was Soul nite. The entertainment was fantastic & the band that played were brilliant. Absolutley gorgeous food, the only 1 thing slightley bvad 2 say was that they hadn't lit the candle on our table, everyone else was lit, but It wasn't an Issue as we had a lighter. Toilets were lovely (weird to mention I know) classed as disabled but able to most things I think there was a lift but didnt want to use it. GREAT NITE HAD!!!!!! Would definatley go again : - )

Reviewed September 2, 2012

As a party of 4 we have been to the Sands twice to see cabaret acts and enjoy a meal. We found the acts to be great entertainment (obviously it has to be to your own liking). The food was top quality, although I would have expected the speed of service to be better as we had pre booked. The drinks were not overly expensive but I would make the following suggestion:-

Order and pay/collect your drinks directly from the bar and ask for a receipt. If using table service , obtain a receipt and CHECK CAREFULLY what you have been charged for. Accidental mistakes in bills can easily happen through no fault of the staff with "touch screen" tills. As an example I was charged £13.65, £13.85 and £15.85 for identical orders. When queried, apologies were given and the bill amended without question.

Hope this has been of help, Phil.

1  Thank philip w