“Refurb Needed”

Ranked #803 of 856 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Refurb Needed”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Sorry this hotel is badly in need of a refurb. Here comes the honesty--staff were very pleasant, room was clean as was the bed linen. However the hotel is decaying I'm afraid to say. Very drab from the outside, dated reception and bar area, grubby old carpets throughout. Yes it was cheap, but when we were leaving and walking for the car we passed some cheaper and far more appealing hotels. Wasn't my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here again
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

You're not going to get the savoy for &12.50 per person per night. Personally I'd rather stay here anyway. The staff are always friendly and helpful, bars open late, rooms and shower fine. Breakfast is a free for all and gets very busy but you can have as much as you want and even upgrade to full English .

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank Andybrthetford
Doncaster
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We arrived on Sunday 28th October with a 10 year old, 6 year old and a 14 months old baby. The outside of the hotel looked fine, as soon as we walked in we knew it was dated. We had a family room with a travel cot put in but got told that we should have bought our own baby blanket, which we hadn't so he got sheets instead. The room was full of mould on the walls, the windows rattled when the wind blew and not double glazed, you could hear even voices outside.
Our FAMILY ROOM was above the bar, the music went on till 2 am! It was so loud you could sing to every song. Once we got to sleep at some early hour, the roof started leaking water above the babies bed, hubby ran downstairs at 5 am to find no one so found a breakfast container to catch the water. It was half full within an hour.
At 8 we went for breakfast which was an absolute joke. If you like over boiled eggs, making your own toast and hard cheese you will be fine. We also asked to speak to the manager to mention the water in our room, it took her over an hour and a half to get there. We got offered another room that was so small we couldn't have moved in it. In the end we got a the rest of our nights refunded and left. There was so much more wrong but it would take ages to write it all, at the end of the day this is not a hotel for families.

Room Tip: Don't go if you are a family, for a lads night out it may be fine
1 Thank Familyb4doncaster

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have only just got back from this dump today , the trip was excellent with my family but by god the hotel was something else , from the outside it looks like something absulutly amazing and deffinatly a rate of about 4 star but the minute you walk in , its like walking into the mid 40's - 50's . Well the room we stayed in was at the top of the stairs the walls were like tissue you could hear every sound from downstairs and the rooms above that they made , there was no wall paper it was like some plaster just splashed on in my eyes it looked awful , the room needs updating despite the hotel . The breakfast was something else there was NO plates , cutelery , bowls , milk , cereal anything you name it wasnt there you had to ask , i mean it was supposed to be a bloody continental breakfast . The windows didnt shut despite you couldnt even open them , the shower head was broke you had to hold it actrually over yourself and the water wouldnt even drain . Its awful dont stay there at all unless it has been modernised .

Room Tip: Choose a room near the top floor so in this case you will probably not experience what we went throu...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

OMG! What can I actually say except this place should in fact be closed down! Was having a 3night get away with mum, dad and my 4year old son! Booked hotel over phone, saw mixed reviews and photos of the place but like others, like to make own mind up! I also think that people who leave bad reviews are either snobs or just far too critical! I'm neither, this is the first review I have ever taken the time to write and the reason I'm doing it is to WARN people not to go! We weren't expecting a palace, a basic room with comfy beds and clean toilet facilities would have been fine as was only intending to spend time in the room to sleep so wasn't looking for anything fancy! However what we witnessed was horrific! Paid deposit over phone and the rest when we got there, after 10mins of being in the building I had demanded all my money back! Simply could not have stayed! First thing was the smell as soon as walked in it was vile, carpets were about 30yrs old grubby and stained, staff on reception were exceptionally rude! Was informed price included continental breakfast, when asked what was included in that I was told "toast" to which he also said " there is a toaster to make your own!" Charming! Next phase was to go the room, was up 5 flights of stairs with 2 suitcases as no lifts, room was disgusting! Wardrobe was on its last legs and no front door on it, beds were basic with wafer thin quilts. Bathroom hadn't been cleaned and ran my finger over the tiles on sink and was greater with nice grubby grease! Skurten boards rotten and broken and a lovely 1980's tv was balancing on a window ledge over one of the beds (yes thats right....behind where you would be lying!!!) but was wobbling as window ledge was too narrow and wires hanging down everywhere that my son could easily have pulled away at and had a lovely tv on his head! curtains on the windows were stained, the wooden windows were rotten, lovely drafts coming through and the most shocking find was that my only exit route out of my room should there b a fire in the corridor was out my window but unfortunate they were locked down! Tried numerous times to shift the lock but they were never going to budge to to the age of the windows! That was the final straw! Returned to reception for a full refund as this hotel was a disgrace, dirty, felt unsecure, and quite frankly was UNSAFE! Should not be able to rent these rooms out as the windows not opening is in itself against all fire and health and safety regulations! Clearly a hotel that needs inspecting and either put things right or closing down! I'm genuinely not a snob I just wanted basic amenities but this dump didn't even have that! DO NOT stay here not when there's some in same road that were cheaper and included full English breakfast and were exceptionally clean and friendly!

Room Tip: Don't choose one at all.....choose somewhere else that's the safest bet!
Holidaymaker9876
Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you don't actually die of laughing, you will probably die of some other disease.

Careful when you book your room and not assume that the hotel might take into consideration that grown adults actually might have a little issue in sharing a bed.

I don't think the place has seen a lick of paint for about 30 year minimum. It was pretty clear from the second you walk into the reception it is tired. That however doesn't prepare you for what the rooms are like.

Instantly the smell of dampness and a fair amount of bleach to camouflage the smell from the rotten drainage system.

There seemed to be a cycle of the water not draining out the shower until you flush the toilet and the toilet not filling until you have had a shower.

I dread to think what kind of water was coming out the shower.

None of the beds in the room were good enough. They were all very basic cheap divan style beds with cheap mattresses none of which had many springs left.

The sheets looked clean and white but I didn't even dare look below. I didn't even take my clothes off to sleep in the bed, just kept my clothes on and slept on top and even had the sense to do this when drunk.

Luckily is wasn't too cold. The window in the room would not close as it was so badly warped it was actually nowhere near square to fit the window frame. I'm no joiner, but it has suffered many a years water ingress to add up to so much deforming.

It is just so sad to see places in this state. It seems people are willing to tolerate this or book and only find out on arrival how bad it is.

The hotel was actually fully booked on the Saturday night!!!!!

I think the only possible way you could even tolerate this place is if you know you are roughing it and have little care when you land your head for the night.

I didn't even brave the food. I just couldn't even bring myself to even think about trying. That could have been the hangover though!

The worst part is the lady and the man doing pretty much everything from first thing in the morning to last thing at night seem genuinely nice people.

Sadly even taking their good nature into account it is far too hard to ignore the serious shortfalls in basic standards.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Holidaymaker9876
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Only just got back from this dump of a hotel ,DO NOT STAY HERE. Our woIndow did not even close all out of shape,shower ran hot or cold and did not drain away unles you flushed the toilet.!!! The bed was something else you could feel every single spring in the mattress, general smell of mould in bathroom,total hovel splash out another £10 don't put your self through it.Should me closed down.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends