“A stinky visit”

Norbreck Castle Hotel
Ranked #71 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
“A stinky visit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2004

As we arrived there were no staff on reception so we had to walk around to find someone to book us in. our room was right at the end of the castle in one of the towers. As you were walking up the stairs in the tower it was very cold because most of the windows were smashed and they hadn't been fixed. Also there was a very strong smell that lingered all over the hotel. The stairways was where the smell was at its strongest. It smelt like a sewer. The room i was staying in was dirty and the wall paper was peeling off. There were damp marks on the ceiling and the wardrobe was pushed up against the window so there was no light or access to the window.There was one flat pillow on the bed with stains on it and instead of a quilt on the bed it was just a thin sheet. As i went to leave the room to go out the door didn't lock properly. The bathroom didn't have no soap or shampoo sachets and there wasn't any toilet roll. There weren't any towels either for when you have a shower only a small hand towel. As i went down for breakfast there weren't any tabels. There were to many people in the dinning room at once. Staff were asking people to eat there breakfast on the benches out side and on the seating around the bar. It was all self service but there was no staff coming to clean the tables after people had finished. It was a total mess and kaos. When we finally got a table it was covered in the previous peoples dished and there were no knife and forks anywhere because they had ran out. I had to put my breakfast in a bowl because there weren't any clean plates. I hated every minute of my stay at Norbreck Castle. The whole hotel stinks and i mean that literally!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,475)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2004

Dont be too alarmed when you read all these bad reviews. I was very worried about my stay but when I arrived I got a very pleasant surprise. The rooms were very clean and the bathroom spotless. Breakfast was delicious and very filling. It did look a bit tacky but doesn't all of Blackpool? I wouldn't recommend this place for a holiday but for a stag weekend and for just having somewhere to sleep it was perfectly acceptable. It is gay-friendly too which suited me right down to the ground.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2004

we (me ,mother,sister,grandam,grandad) stayed at the Norbreck in august 2003 .we booked with national holidays .The hotel was ok but not great the food was awful thought i didnt eat any so therefore had to eat after going to pleasure beach at the night .Also its ages and ages away from the centre you have to get a tram or bus to get there.The rooms were slighty OK but quite dirty and sheets stained !.But the bathroom was to a reasonable standard .The best bit was the pool area .Please could any body help me and tell me what its like know as im revisting with friends in august for a birthday for 2 days .will building have finished?? will it be awful .email me please to tell me .thankz

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2004

I have just returned from a fabulous stay at The Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool. Despite having a major refurbishment going on, hotel is still being managed by a very professional management. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotels facilities were really good, especially the leisure facilities.I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a short break in Blackpool I will certainly be going back myself

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2004

I stayed for 1 night in May. The warnings about this hotel are very accurate. There are weird smells and the rooms are filthy. If you get lucky and stay in the newly built rooms then although they are much cleaner they still are very small and basic. You can hear all conversations going on above and beside you. You can make out everything they say and do!!! They charge way too much for something so basic. I wouldn't even go near the food so I can't comment on that but I did check out early as I could not get to sleep because of the noise.

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2004

I booked the holiday with national hoildays yes it does look run down from the outside but it is the look of a castle after all, the wood was great the bar was great and the whole hotel was great. Even the work going on didnt put us off it ment that when i go again in august its going to be better

United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2004

I have never stayed at a hotel anything like this. The toast for Breakfast had green mold on it - when we pointed this out, they didn't even remove it!! - The room was damp, dirty, cold - no central heating.We complained several times and the response was 'What do you want us to do about it'.The bathroom was dirty, with used toilet paper screwed up on the floor.The bed sheets were dirty, with stains on, and the carpet was filthy.I recommend you try ANY hotel but this one - It couldn't be anywhere near as bad !!!!

3 Thank djb2002