“Party Night at the Norbreck”

Norbreck Castle Hotel
Ranked #68 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is probably 10th year I have been to one of the party nights. But first time very disapointed in the room. Ok you are not in it long but it wasnt all that clean, must have had the pokiest room in the hotel despite being told we had one of the best rooms and a jacuzzi bath, well I never found it. The party itself was the usual great night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (6,154)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

My elderly mother and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days in December on a 'Turkey and Tinsel' break with National Holidays. This was our second choice as the break we wanted was cancelled. Neither of us have visited Blackpool for many years and this hotel is 3 miles North of Blackpool. Having read comments on Trip Advisor I contacted National Holidays to say that I was very concerned about all the negative comments and was put off from using the Norbreck. Tracy from National contacted the hotel on my behalf and explained my position. I was assured that all would be well and a premium room was reserved for us.

We arrived with some trepidation but were happy to find we had been allocated a suite on the first floor with fresh fruit and bottled water waiting for us. The sea views were beautiful and the beds (there were 4) very comfortable. The rooms were clean and perfectly adequate for a family of 4 or more. The 2 of us had a television each but we did not go on holiday to watch TV as some other reviewers seem to.

The food at every meal was good quality, piping hot and very varied.There was something for everyone and I heard many people praising the choices available.It is served buffet style but this means that you get as much or little as you like of whatever you like - a big plus for the many elderly guests.Nobody could possibly go hungry at the Norbreck.

I am very concerned that some reviewers seem hell bent on giving this hotel bad write ups. I wonder if they have other axes to grind? Or maybe other hotels to represent???? I am slowly becoming more cynical about the value of Trip Advisor as a guide to good restaurants/hotels due to the number of people who leave very negative comments (anonymously, mostly) which can and do harm a business. I think many satisfied guests just don't bother/have time to review venues.

We met some lovely people who were guests at the Norbreck and all of them (with maybe a few exceptions) were 60+ and most were not computer literate.The silent majority are not able to voice their opinions on TA. Several of the guests were on their 3rd and 4th visit to the Norbreck and loved the comfort and the friendliness of the staff and the food. All of them (again without exception) could not praise the hotel highly enough.

If I wanted to nit-pick I could do so. Yes the hotel does need more refurbishment, yes the lifts are small and slow, Yes the windows rattle in gale force winds. No it is no longer a 5 star establishment but when will people realise - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! and in this case, I think, a great deal more.

I cannot believe the value for money we received. For well under £100 each we enjoyed a comfortable clean room, excellent food at breakfast and dinner for 5 days ( including a Christmas menu of turkey and all the trimmings), cabaret every night in plush surroundings, a 3 hour 99p bar, a guided day trip to Liverpool and another to the Lakes. We also were given vouchers by National for the main attractions. Madame Tussauds was fabulous value at the reduced rate. The services of Wendy at the hotel were also much appreciated. WELL DONE NATIONAL HOLIDAYS AND THE NORBRECK CASTLE!! All of the above cost us what a 4/5 star hotel would charge for one night in a double room!!

Another bonus is that bus passes are accepted on the Blackpool trams.

Please don't be put off as I was by people expecting 5 star service when they have paid 1 star prices. Go and see for yourself - then write an honest review - as I have done!!

Room Tip: ring and ask to have a good room allocated in advance.
2  Thank Primroselin
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just back from the Northbreck after spending Xmas there.
Arrived on the Monday and greeted by the reception staff at 18:30 and given keys to 2 rooms, one for my mum who required a disabled room and they put my wife and i just along the corridor on the low floor, i asked for a room with a sea view on a high floor and this was not a problem.

Our room was very large since we booked a family room and for the price of £120 each inc all meals, We could not complain.
Only room issue was the TV with only 4 channels but we didn't spend to much time in the room.

We were told that we had to eat in the Boston restaurant, it was great, No queuing and the staff were great. The restaurant is mainly used for weddings and functions and it was very clean,
We did not go into see the entertainment, We spent time in the lounge area, But it would have been nice if they added a little entertainment in there, even if they had they had a large TV on, so people could watch Xmas TV.
People who we met were really nice.
Xmas dinner went without fault, when catering for up to 700 people, Its bound to put a strain on the staff, but they coped very well.

I fully understand that i booked last minute and got a good deal and we heard a few people complaining about the service who had paid full price, We even met people who had decided that the holiday was not for them and were checking out on Xmas eve, But it is Blackpool out of season and with these hotels you get what you get and if your not happy, then its a sorry, but for us, we had read the reviews and went with a open mind, We relaxed and came home relaxed.

2  Thank malct
Reviewed December 23, 2013

i dropped my mum and aunty off at the norbreck today they are staying till Friday, we were quite worried as read the reviews on here and were expecting the worse, we were very pleasantly surprised, what a beautiful building inside and out, the room was sea view, very clean, staff were lovely, we had a bite to eat before I returned home and the food was lovely also. Was very warm in their room and dining room/bar, the building is very old and just needs a bit of tlc but I would definitely stay at the norbreck and travelled back home happy as knew my mum would have a good time during her stay.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Just back from coach tour to Blackpool and we stayed at the Norbreck Hotel and we had a great time. First of all congratulations to Caledonian Coach Tours for a very enjoyable trip on both journeys and George our driver was excellent. On arrival at the hotel we were very impressed with the efficiency of our check-in and there were eight of us in our party and we were allocated rooms together. The rooms were large and clean and all you could ask for on a two night stay. The dining room is very large, but we were seated quickly and the food was very good at breakfast and dinner. I would also say there was a great variety of food and it was always hot and with the 99p bar you could not fault the catering. We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment and the Abba tribute was particularly good and one of our party won £57.00 at the Bingo. We also used the Leisure facilities, which included a good size very clean Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, Steam Room and Sauna and I believe there is also a Gym. I would not hesitate to stay at the Norbreck in the future and we all had a ball! Thank you Caledonian and Norbreck.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor and right at the end and we experienced very little noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Average breakfast, clean rooms and hot powerful showers. The dinning room was let down by staff repairing holes in the carpet with duct tape all around the buffet area. Helpful staff especially the receptionist at the main entrance Debbie .... who was very polite and understanding.

Be warned there are only 5 basic channels on the tv Two of which have terrible picture quality.

Room Tip: I wish I knew ..... they all seem to look the same.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2013

stayed one night ,my room was warm and clean ,there was dirty bedding and food plate outside my
room ,despite telling reception twice it till took till about 8 pm to get it moved ,its seem as the reception staff , were not interested when i told them,food was ok , the singer was good
but only on for an hour ,