“Was like a kids' madhouse”

Norbreck Castle Hotel
Ranked #66 of 69 Hotels in Blackpool
Yorkshire
“Was like a kids' madhouse”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Did a trip to Blackpool with National Holidays to se Michael Ball at the opera House. The show was fab and thanks to National holidays we got great seats in the stalls. However the hotel was a nightmare. Suppose not the hotel's fault - they have to do as much businiess as possible, Not sure if National Holidays would know the hotel was going to be full of kids at a National Dance Festival ? Contest on the Saturday and Sunday (April 26th weekend). Hoards of people with kids of all ages still booking in at 11 pm on the Friday night when we got back. Could see it was going to be bedlam as there were kids running amok all over the hotel, corridors, and through reception. Next morning (Saturday) the place was opacked with kids and families queuing to get into the ballroom and we had to literally fight or way to the breakfast room. We could see what it would be like all day so we cleared off into Blackpool for the day. Got back about 9.30 pm. Horrified to see kids still running around totally out of control all over the hotel. Running up and down stairs jumping in the lift and pressing buttons at 10.30.pm ! (some kids confirmed what they were doing ) Took us 20 minutes to get a lift to 3rd floor, (Daren't walk as they would have crashed into us on the stairs !). Managed to sleep Sat night by leaving the TV on in our room till midnight to keep out the noise on corridors. The next morning the weather was too bad to go out until coach time at 1.15 pm, so once more we had a horrible morning, with kids charging up and down the place wherever you tried to sit. It would be very good of the hotel to let the Coach Tours know that the place would be full of out of control kids and not to bring coach parties of older people that weekend !!!!!!! The parents and relatives of those kids should be ashamed that they can't be bothered to teach their kids any manners or respect for other people, and can't be bothered to find out what they are up all night !!!! Shame that nowadays you cannot chastise anyone else's child !!Our room was as old and worn as we expected and the front facing window would not open, but the one breakfast and evening meal was OK considering the choas the dining room staff had to cope with. Best value - can use your bus pass on the trams which are excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,520)
  • Polish first
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The main issues with the room were

Springs in the bed had come through
The beds mattress - we could feel every spring
The window sills was full of damp
The radiator was in disrepair
under the sink where the pipes had been boxed in had dried human feaces present
the remote control was broken (the tv picture moved from side to side)
the walls were badly marked
the wardrobe had an unidentified substance on the doors
the carpet into the bathroom was lifting
the wallpaper was coming away from the wall
there was only one bedside cabinate
the chair was heavily soilded
the bathroom extractor fan had thick dust
the tv was covered in dust

Room Tip: We had two rooms - I would not book this hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MsSmith72

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

HAD family staying here really good value.big hotel with all the extras at very low cost rooms etc clean staff pleasant an alround good experience .would definatly recommend this hotel.After a night out to restaurant came in to nice show in bar with lots of people really enjoying themselves it was great.Good buffet style breakfast at this price i couldnt fault it

Room Tip: all seem to be good and staff very accomadating
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank philip b
leicestershire
Reviewed May 15, 2013

What a night mare,Loose sink in the Bathroom.Dirty discusting bath and tilkes etc.I would never stay there again even if it was free for vthe weekend.Where do I start.Children running up and down the corridors at night time,i could hear the person next door snoring and kept me awake all night.The roonm was just discusting.No quilt cover on my bed.Not enough pillows or tea,coffee milk etc.Bad brown stains on the wall where the bed was situated.Breakfast was discusting.Reminded me off school dinners ........cold ,overcooked and have difficulty in even getting a cup of tea.Toast was cold,no butter or margarine.The staff at breakfast was not at all helpful.I had to go back upto my room just to get a hot drink at breakfast.I would even stay there if it was free .I would pay them to decorate the whole hotel,discusting,warn out and lacking in pride and cleanliness.I then asked to be movede but not the same hotel.The reception was very helpful.I was then moved to one of there sister hotels which was great.Let me assure you.You will regret staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 910lawrence910
England
Reviewed May 15, 2013

It's an average hotel, we tend to go here for the bowling week in september, last year we stayed here in september 2012 but on one particular night everything changed, I left my car keys in the room, as the room hadn't been broken into i didn't think to check if my keys where still there, the following morning my car keys were no where to be seen along with a water proof coat. I raced down to where i had parked my car and it had gone. I had the police informed and also the managers at the hotel and to my dismay they acused me of not leaving my car at the hotel, they said the CCTV didn't work and they wouldn't show me the enteries to the room, the customer service of this whole incident was appauling, I complained to the britiannia hotels and to date have had no apology whatsoever, i have learnt there has been another car pinched from the above hotel word of WARNING DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN THE HOTEL ROOM. By the way the car was found at Garstang it took me nearly 2 months to get my car back they had took everything out of the car and left me £1000 out of pocket.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank shazza T
lichfield
Reviewed May 13, 2013

we just spent two awful nights at the norbreck castle,arrived on the 10th may for a prebooked so called superior room at £75 per night,first room they sent us to was filthy and so small the door hit the bed when we opened it,the toilet seat was hanging off and there was about one inch of thick dust on the back of the scabby little television which only showed 4 channels anyway,the wall paper was minging and curling up and the mould in the bathroom was disgusting,moved us to another room 246 which at least was bigger but alas just as filthy,one regret we didn't take a camera to prove the filth in there,we would have been better off paying for a b&b but thought we were going for a bit of luxury,the breakfast was also tasteless and to top it all they could not cook fried eggs,it was scrambled or nothing when we asked,deffo think they got superior and inferior mixed up,NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank graham h
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed here last August with my friend, rooms were very basic and old fashioned. Radiators were constantly on and were unable to turn them on, meaning the room was boiling and windows only opened a tiny bit! one night at 4am myself and friend had to get up and stand outside the hotel room, we felt like we were a fish out of water. Meal times were OK but for the whole 5 days we stayed there, the meals were the same every day, breakfast full english and cereal, tea hot meat and veg. Would stay here again as price was cheap but would take a portable fan! however, the spa and pool is amazing!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends