“Sadly deteriorated since our last visit”
Review of Savoy Hotel

Savoy Hotel
Ranked #68 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were looking forward to a Sunday night break at the Savoy to see the illuminations. We've always enjoyed the hotel before, thanks to the lovely food and waiter service. It all started well, we had a lovely room with a full seaview even though we'd only paid the basic price. The only problem was the windows were so dirty we couldn't see the sea through them, or anything much else. The decor was a bit tired but then the hotel is a very old lady and the price for the Sunday night special is extremely cheap so we weren't complaining about that. Anyway the bathroom was an up to date wetroom as we'd booked an accessible room. Unfortunately the evening meal was a sad disappointment. The beautifully prepared and served meals of the past had disappeared and the hotel has obviously succumbed to the corporate Britannia policy of mass produced tasteless meat and vegetables, served in trays and accompanied by chemical gravy, followed by a selection of supermarket type gateaux (saving grace a fresh fruit salad). Being presented with a dish of coffee granules, cheap white sugar and lukewarm jugs of water to make your own, scraped the barrel of a pretty awful meal. This seems to be a procedure being adopted by most of the Britannia hotels, I had much the same experience recently at a lunch at the Scarisbrick hotel in Southport. I know the chain cuts prices to the bone, and it is certainly a very cheap offer for an overnight stop especially during the illuminations but it was so disappointing, I for one, would rather pay a little more and have the old service which was so much more in keeping with the ethos of the building or at least some decent coffee. Having said all that, there was entertainment in the evening, consisting of bingo and an organ player/singer who has been there now for many years, still singing the same old songs but he does work hard, and the breakfast was reasonable, self service and about the same as you would get in most similar hotels. the room was quiet, the beds very comfortable and I have to say it was good value for money and the 'free' bottle of wine was actually quite good. One more gripe, for some reason all three of the Britannia hotels have stopped taking pets. We used to book them regularly and take our dog but now we are unable to do this so we can rarely go. I expect the hotels have lost many more bookings because of this change of policy.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skemjazzer
philcroft, General Manager at Savoy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

There are newer reviews for Savoy Hotel

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We booked the Savoy Hotel in Blackpool, because of the standards that we thought we were going to get were better than some of the other hotels Blackpool had to offer and this is what we got instead, firstly disappointed about the conditions of the hotel, the chairs, floor and walls were disgusting everything in the hotel its self was dirty and that was before I even got to my room that I booked. When I entered my room at first I thought I was given the wrong room as I had booked a double room with sea view and instead I was giving a twin sea view room I went down to see the manager about this and he said that this was the only room available, the room that I was giving was overall disgusting as the wallpaper was peeling off the walls and around the lights, the curtains were rip, thick of dust and stained, bedding flooring and chairs were all stained and in the same conditions, the two single bed were pushed together and classed as a double bed the bath and toilet was absolutely disgusting also there was toe nails and hair all the floor and bath, the whole room was thick of dust the windows were black mould and had handles missing off them, overall the whole room just made me feel dirty and quite frankly wasn't even worth the £140.50 I paid to stay there. I have found your website very misleading and was nothing like what I've just stayed in.

Please see photographs attached of the room I have just stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can constantly monitor the standards of service we offer our guests.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us at the Savoy Hotel and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I will investigate the points raised in your review and speak to the relevant Department Managers to address the difficulties you experienced.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and please accept my sincere apologies once again that it was necessary to do so.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Booked a dinner, B&B + bottle of wine weekend 3 Nov.
Check -in was fine.
Yes the hotel is in need of renovation needs a bit spending on it, but as other reviewers have also said this would mean the prices would have to go up, room 217 was fine, nice and warm, evening meal was well presented and breakfast was plentiful. Staff well organised and always smiling (not put on). Entertainer whilst a little croaky sometimes, did well with other songs, involved guests and got a few laughs at the same time. Agree with previous comments about only 1 lift.
Half an hour steady walk to the Tower and same again to the BIG one.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to place your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and your comments will be passed on to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Was a glorious hotel in the past but times have moved on. Building in poor condition overall, although some attractive stained glass windows remain. Very battered look to public areas - stained carpets, litter scattered around basement area on entry. Rooms damp-smelling and shabby - stained carpets, dreary colour schemes, leaks, loos not working properly. Buffet meals OK, but basic. Organ player 'entertainment' made some quite offensive remarks at times. Not cheap either - much better value around town. Don't go.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I booked my family room online in advance and was very much looking forward to our stay. On arrival, I discovered that I did not have a family room but a twin room with a zed bed squeezed in. I approached the manager who told me that there was nothing I could do as the hotel was full. I said I wasn't satisfied and requested a refund. She asked me if I wanted to check out, which I couldn't, having just driven two hours to get to the hotel. I was offered a £20 refund which I accepted as being better than nothing.

I booked and paid for a family room and received a twin room with a zed bed squeezed in.

I was unable to make tea or coffee as the extra bed was blocking the way.

The extra bed was of poor quality. My son could feel the bedsprings through the mattress.

I have limited mobility and had difficulty moving about the room. I now have back pain due to the problems with moving in the reduced space.

The ceiling was obviously water damaged.

There were only two sets of towels for three people.

The bathroom was run down and grotty.

One of the light fittings was hanging off the wall, as was the towel rail.

In addition to the room problems, I sat down on a chair which had been made wet (ugh) and had to change my clothes. When I ordered food at the bar, one meal (mine) did not arrive and I had to wait for it to be made.

I am very disappointed with my stay at the Blackpool Savoy. I had expected something of much better quality and was looking forward to my family room, not a twin room with a zed bed. We had a wonderful time in Blackpool but it was not enhanced by my stay at the Savoy.

I have to say that the staff were generally helpful, especially John who was running the bar that night.

I have made a complaint to Britannia customer services but have not received a reply.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
philcroft, General Manager at Savoy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review. I would personally like to apologise to you for the inconvenience caused to you and that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stopped here on 1/11/13 and were expecting the worst after booking then reading the reviews. We had got a deal for £100 which consisted room 2 adults 2 children, breakfast, evening meal, bottle of wine and a family ticket to an attraction of our choice. (We chose Tussauds)
When we arrived we were met by pleasant friendly staff. My 2 little girls were given a goodie bag containing colouring books, crayons, pop and sweets, i thought was a lovely touch. Our room was very spacious and had a whirlpool bath, very surprised.
The evening meal was lovely although there wasn't much choice, it was very filling and there were 3 courses.
The bar prices were very reasonable (2 pints of Carlsberg for £5).
There was a traditional seaside organist and bingo on in the evening, he was very entertaining but his name escapes me.
This hotel would have been majestic in its day, it's just now like so many grand northern seaside hotels it's become a little worn in places but the character and charm remain.
Don't go expecting 5 star. Go open minded and you should be pleasantly surprised. Tremendous value for the price we paid!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

On behalf of all the staff of the Savoy Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to post these positive comments about your recent stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I actually didn't read the reviews of the Savoy on here prior to staying there, and god am I glad I didn't because most of them are completely & utterly inaccurate! I could not be more pleased with the Savoy. We originally booked for two nights 1st - 3rd Nov, loved it so much we ended up staying an extra night instead of driving home!!

Yes, the hotel may look outdated and is worn in places, but its a typical seasidey hotel. If people bothered to ask about the history of the hotel & go exploring around it rather than expecting The Ritz treatment, the character would be fully appreciated. What difference does it make if a skirting board needs painting? Seriously? It takes nothing away from the fact that it is a classic building with plenty of amazing features. If you want boring, clinical, modern and generic, stay in a Travelodge. I feel like i've experienced a proper seaside holiday!

We were welcomed on arrival by happy, helpful staff. None of them were rude in the slightest. They were all very chatty and smiley and happy to answer any queries. A lot of people on here have said that their 'complaints' were ignored. We had a minor issue with our room door but if you ask politely and nicely, it will be sorted. It only took ten minutes and we were back in our room. It's the same everywhere, you can either have an attitude and go off the deep end whinging and whining expecting things to be perfect, or be understanding and get the results in a positive way. My friend and I are the latter attitude and found the staff to be excellent in this respect.

They allowed us to leave the car in the car park for the day once we checked out and offered us tea before our long drive home if we wished. Our room was clean, tidy and spacious, as was the ensuite & if we thought this was a fluke, we were wrong... when we decided to re-check in for an extra night we were upgraded to an even more amazing room on the third floor! This was also clean and tidy, beautiful bay window looking out on the sea and illuminations. Again, parts were worn, but nothing that makes ANY difference to the experience. Our first room was quite hot due to hot water pipes running through, but it was easily solved by wearing less. People would complain more if it was freezing, surely its better to be warm?

To all the people complaining about the 'dirty' windows, what a ridiculous thing to complain about. The hotel is directly opposite the sea on the north coast. Our car was only parked there for three days and got dirty, so of COURSE the hotel windows are going to look salty!!

My friend and I are both quite picky eaters so didn't really expect much of the food, but all three nights we each found three courses from the range we happily devoured and not only that but it was delicious! Breakfast was equally as good and orange juice & water was available at both sittings on tap. The waiting staff were also equally as nice & helpful as reception. No complaints here whatsoever!

The location was fab too. A bit further away from the main strip, but easily walkable (we did this at least twice a day) and with a tram stop at Gynn Square right outside you can get anywhere within a few mintues. The doors are open all night too so if you fancy stopping out into the early hours it isnt a problem. The hotel also has a linked cab service, the drivers of which were exremely nice and helpful and very reasonably priced.

Frankly, I cannot see what people have to complain about at all. You go to Blackpool to have a good laugh, have the seasidey experience and chill out, & that's exactly what the Savoy gave us. We felt really at home, comfy and cosy the entire time we were at the hotel & personally can't wait to go back. People really need to consider not being so moany and boring, else why go to Blackpool? It is NOT 'the' Savoy in London & as anywhere, you get what you pay for, except in our case I feel we definitely got more!!! See you again soon Savoy!

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were fantastic but the second was amazing, sea view, could see illuminations, mass...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claire E

Dear Guest

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team here are committed to ensuring all our guests are comfortable during their stay and received the best possible service.

Your feedback is very important to us and is very much appreciated; our team will be thrilled to receive it. Thanks for your review it will be a pleasure to welcome you back in future.