“Needs a revamp”
Review of Savoy Hotel

Savoy Hotel
Ranked #68 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have just stayed for a 2 night break. I was disappointed as the pictures shown are obviously misguiding when you make a booking. This would have been a gorgeous hotel in its day, but it has became quite run down, Staff were friendly but not enough of them.
On arrival check in was quick and easy, however the lift was awful, very slow and not suitable for this size of hotel. Our room was disappointing, it was too warm, one of the windows was painted shut. The other window that did open was quite dodgy, had to keep open with a juice bottle, the view was disgusting! a big net and pigeons. This outside area needs a good coat of paint and some plants. Inside the bathroom was poor, its old, the floor wasn't clean, the door didn't lock, no window or fan extractor. There was 2 double beds in our room and a bunk bed. The first double bed was shocking it felt about 30 years old, squeaked and was so lumpy! Second double bed was firmer but very close to bunk beds. The throws on the beds were stained too. kids noticed the disgusting amount of dust on top of wardrobe. All furniture needs a good polish. One of the chairs has big rips on it, not appealing. Also there was 2 sections of wallpaper missing. Breakfast ok but dining area needs a good clean and repaint. Bar area, wobbly high tables dirty windows, entertainment finished quite early, This hotel is part of a bigger brand and if more money was spent on this hotel it could become quite grand again.

Room Tip: Try to get a seaview
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank eleanor004
There are newer reviews for Savoy Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2013

staff friendly and welcoming the original room we were allocated was 234 which was classed as a double room which a single room has more space with a window you couldnt open. room was very warm which we found uncomfortable went to reception they moved us to the 4th floor room 3377 it had windows which we cud open there was stains on carpet don't think it had been cleaned before we went in.the towels should of bin white didn't smell fresh.the card u have to open the door to ur room was useless.very hard to open food we stayed halfboard 745pm went into dinning room it was buffet food very poor.think all food came out of packet or tin.breakfast was ok.wouldnt stay here again the hotel needs makeover asap.

2  Thank Paul Julie R
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Where do we start? The positives - the food was ok as was the bed, and the staff were ok other than that nothing else springs to mind. The down side/s - when you arrive you will probably have to run the gaunlet of the smokers that accummulate just outside the entrances, non smokers hold your breath. When checking-in, avoid the inner facing bedrooms otherwise your sleeping with the pigeons, also I had a thin wall where the bedhead was and of course I had a snorer next door keeping me awake. Meal times are interesting, as this is a self service bar, for some reason the soup is in between the desserts and the ice cream, therefore collisions are inevitable, it's the same with the tea and coffee, people are are moving from side to side puting there tea bag or coffee in the cup then moving to the hot water then moving back for thier milk and sugar and dumping the tea bag.
Incidentally, the coffee granules is found in a cereal bowl, exposed, as are the tea bags that seem to get man handled and therefore not very hygenic, coffee in a cereal bowl, never seen that idea before. Moving swiftly into the bar area, you will find plenty of sticky table tops, probably only cleaned once a day and not forgetting the thread bare seats to greet you. Whilst your there, look around and admire the flaking paint on both the ceilings and the walls.
For a hotel of this size, there is only one lift and that can only carry three people. Can you imagine a load of elderly people staying - they would probably spend most of the day waiting for this lift.
There is an eyesore to be found in King George Avenue to the side of the hotel, compare that with the Berkeley Hotel opposite which is a lot smarter.
I would find it hard to see the same people returning back to this hotel unless they were blind and don't mind paying for tat.
I think the Brittania Group have work really hard to make this hotel into a dump

Room Tip: Don't bother, look for another hotel, this hotel does not have much to offer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I am just back from my sixth stay at the Savoy. Me my Mum and Dad had a four night stay and could not be happier. The service could not be better as staff are very kind and nothing was to much trouble from the start of our stay to the end,our room was beautiful and the food was gorgeous. The Savoy has an amazing location as the tram and bus stop are right outside and it's not to long a walk from the promenade. I couldn't fault our stay and will be returning very soon.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank buzzingbe
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in..... Our first room.... We walked in and the curtain was hanging off the rail, there was a nasty large stain on the carpet, the shower curtain had orange mould, I had trouble opening a window and the room smelt.

I went a complained, we were given another room, which was a tad better. I was sitting on the chair (with a suspect stain on it) and noticed that under the bed was absolutely thick with dust and the room had not been hoovered as there was bits and pieces all over the carpet.

The rooms were shabby, tatty and unclean, absolutely disgusting.

The breakfast was nice, plenty of everything.

I sent an email to the hotel stating my displeasure and have heard nothing back, if I had I would not have posted this.

Thank goodness we were only staying one night.

Don't stay here.

Room Tip: There wasn't one
1  Thank Gaynor B
Reviewed August 3, 2013

we got to the hotel on Monday morning and the hotel was very welcoming. during our stay we woke up on the Friday morning and headed downstairs for our breakfast. when we returned 25 minutes later we noticed someone had been into our hotel room and stole money out of my girlfriends purse. we complained to the hotel staff and a gentlemen basically said there was nothing he could do, this isn't good enough, we said we was then going to check out 2 days early and he didn't even ask us if we would consider moving to do a different room for the rest of our stay. we paid a lot of money for Monday to Sunday so we asked if we could have some of our money back. his reply was NO, we would have to get in contact with Thomas cook. this hotel didn't help us out at all and when we requested to see the CCTV he replied with there isn't any and he refused to call the police and said there was nothing they could do as there wasn't any CCTV. we was being fobbed off by everyone at the hotel. we then packed up and left the hotel. we will be getting in contact with Thomas cook and also watchdog to see if we have a respond. its disgusting to think someone got into our hotel room within 20 minutes of us not being there. what if it was 3 or 6 hours they would have took everything in that room. overall I think the management was arrogant and rude and no help at all.

3  Thank Samantha F
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have regularly stayed in Britannia Hotels for my work during the past year. This week (30/7/13) I arrived at the Britannia Savoy Hotel in Blackpool with a Britannia central booking for an "executive single room".

After paying the room charges in advance I was given a key card for a room where the main light did not work when I entered it, and there was only a small window, too dirty to see through and it was sealed up with another sheet of glass or perspex so it could not open. On this very warm evening there was just a noisy extractor fan to ventilate the room. I declined the room and was told there were no other rooms available at all, nor in the Norbreck Castle or Metropole sister hotels either.

On phoning the Britannia central reservations I was told, however that there was a "standard double room" available in the Norbreck Castle. I cancelled my booking at the Savoy and made a reservation at the Norbreck Castle for two nights (Ref. No. 122094143).

On arrival at the Norbreck Castle I was told the only room available was one with no window at all. I said this was unacceptable and refused it. I was faced with the prospect of no accomodation that night, but fortunately was able to secure a room at a similar rate at another nearby hotel with no problem.

I would like to know:
1. Why Britannia Hotels sell rooms with very little ventilation as "Executive" rooms, and why they sell "Standard single" rooms which have no windows. Is this legal?
2. Why Britannia central reservations sell rooms which are not available i.e, deliberately overbook their hotels. I was told this was commonplace by one of the hotel receptionists.

I consider the above practices to be completely unacceptable to consumers and a violation of the trust customers place on hotels to afford them decent accommodation.

I have asked for Britannia Hotels central reservations manager to call me and discuss my complaints, but so far without any response, so have copied this email in to Blackpool trading standards for their advice who have referred the matter to their health & safety section..

I am extremely dissatisfied with Britannia Hotels and will avoid staying in a Britannia Hotel again if at all possible

Room Tip: Insist on viewing the room before paying!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business