“Not bad considering the price we paid for Bank Hol Break”
Review of Savoy Hotel

Savoy Hotel
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The Good Bit:
Booked this hotel on Friday 23rd for Sat & Sun night stay (Bank Holiday Weekend). We paid £85 per room per night for a double & a family including breakfast & evening meal. This was excellent value - shop around the sites, some were selling at over £120 per PERSON, breakfast only. The hotel was OK. Had I paid anything more I would have been dissappointed.
The evening meal was typical of an inclusive rate, small portions & limited choice but the service was very good (perhaps a little slow) and we were allowed things not on the menu such as cheese & biscuits instead of dessert.
The bar prices were reasonable considering this is a 3* hotel quite far from other bars. Unfortunately no atmosphere.
Free pool table in the games room - IT Box & Bandit didn't work though!

Main Problems:
Car Park: Spaces limited, there is a p&d next door however which is only £5.50 for 72hrs & there's free on street parking.
The room: 1st floor, 109 - the room above was VERY VERY creaky. From 5.11am for over 3hours is sounded like ten people were trotting around the bed above us - impossible to sleep through - HONESTLY!! The family room, 111 (double, bunk & a single) also suffered from the noise above though when we checked with reception the were told the room above was empty. Strange as their bathroom was water logged from the one upstairs leaking.
The bathroom: Shower was absolutely boiling, didn't seem to be anything we could do to turn the heat down.
Entertainment: I checked with the hotel before booking if there was evening entertainment, I was told there was & it was suitable for children. The entertainment was an organist. Not very entertaining for 10 & 14 year old boys!

Staff in general were welcoming & helpful. I'd go back, at the reduced rate, but feel very sorry for the people paying a ridiculous amount of money to stay in an average hotel quite far from Blackpool centre, (£7.50 in taxi to Central Pier).

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Beth_Huddersfield
Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)

Reviewed April 21, 2008

We (married couple) have just got back from this hotel having spent Saturday night there. We got a 'deal' on line which wasn't too bad, but we got a bit jittery having read some of the awful reviews this place got.

To be honest it was adequate for what we needed...just about. It was clean enough and we even got a car parking spot at the hotel, but there was a huge car park across the road in case we hadn't. The management could do with taking some pride in the exterior of the hotel as the remnants of corporate flags flying don't give the best first impression. It's a grand old building which is showing it's age in places but has had some refurbishment.. albeit cosmetic.

Our room was adequate although I wouldn't like to have had to spend too long in it. The toilet/shower was spotless, and toilet roll - less and towel - less for about 3 hours despite being told the room was ready. We eventually got these sent up after 3 phone calls. The room was also unbearably warm with no way of getting the temp dowm, likewise the shower was uncontrollable and remained v.hot despite altering the controls. We ended up in an internal room which had frosted glass windows and a lovely view of an air con generator. This 'hummed' constantly all the time so we couldn't even have a window open.

Still...... the continental brekkie was good as was the spa bath....

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maxnpaddy
Reviewed April 14, 2008

my family and i stayed at the Savoy in september 2007 as my eldest son was competeing in a competition from his college in the national finals. As a treat for my disabled mother and father I treated them to a couple of days stay here along with myself and my youngest son, by a treat I meant not a B & B. But to be quite honest we would have been better off in a good quality B & B rather than the savoy, all we had was a catalogue of bad service, dirty rooms, unsuitable rooms and unhelpfull staff.
My mother is disabled and finds walking far very hard, so where did they give them a room, on the 4th floor as far away from the lift as you could possibly get ( when it was working), the room was dark, dingy and unclean. My dad ordered a sandwich from room service on the thursday night and as far as we could tell the plate is probably still there, even with numerous calls to room service the plate wasnt moved during our stay. My sons and his girlfriend were put in a room with the view of a brick wall and was dirty, the bed was stained and it was cold. Our room although it was pleasant compared with the other rooms, had no toilet roll in the room for the whole of our stay dispite numerous complaints, the bathroom was full of mould, the towels were damp, the shower temperature was far to hot and couldnt be altered.
Breakfast time wasnt much better the restaurant was far to warm although the food was reasonable, there were queues for everything and the tables werent cleared. The bar staff were rushed off their feet and no one came to help them, they even had to cope with dealing with room service.

All in all I was totally disappointed, wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank donnawillows
Reviewed March 6, 2008

We went for a last minute overnight stay to Blackpool and booked the Savoy over the net. Was a bit apprehensive over some of the reviews but the hotel was OK. Would place it as a 3 star. Requested a sea view room at reception and was given one, no problem, and no extra charge - this was on a weekday though.
Room was clean and an OK size.
Walked into Blackpool in the evening and had a pleasant time. Breakfast was fine, and we checked out and left the car there while we walked into town. Blackpool is looking very run down, and all of the attractions were shut, including the tower and the fun fair.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We booked this hotel 3 months in advance, as we where attending a convention.
We requested a room on 1st or 2nd floor with a front view.
Upon arrival the reception advised us that they had their own "function" on and where booked up. (not that I saw any sign of this) and the web site sill offered vacancies! So, we got given a room on the 3rd floor with no view, and when I say no view I mean no view! the room was at the back of the hotel and had FROSTED WINDOWS which you could not see out of, and alarmingly where painted shut!
With the windows painted shut and no specific fire evacuation proceedures on the back of the door, I wondered if this was illegal.
The room was clean-ish. The carpet has not seen a vacuum for a long time, as when I took my shoes off for bed me feet where covered in hairs and bits (uuuch!) and the shower had a lot of mold on it.
We where offered another room but that was on the forth floor, was identical and as the lifts where broken all weekend, another flight of stairs was just a pain.
I was let down that I paid the same as people who got front view nicer rooms and for £170.00 for 2 nights I got a second rate crappier room.
I believe in getting what you pay for and don't like being ripped off.
But looking at the reviews for the other big 3 / 4 hotels at this end of the shore, it seems to be hit and miss on what room you get.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank get-what-u-pay-for
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Booked with national hollidays as a coach trip.
I went with my husband and 20 month old baby The staff were polite and the hotel is classy looking.
The food was fantastic we had it booked in with the holliday and we ate in a restuarant in the hotel with exellent service and best food i have tasted.
every one was friendly we got on great with other people staying there.
My only complaint was the room was to warm and the bar staff on our downstairs free bar were verry arogant but the manager sorted them out as soon as a complaint was made.
Night time entertainment is more for the older generation but not a problem becouse there is a diffrent bar if you dont like it.
i recomend it for people of all ages family or single.
over all a great hotel

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank madmum901
Reviewed January 29, 2008

This hotel has to be one of the worst I have stayed in, I booked as a last minute deal, and arrived the next day to find I had no booking, I was then told the lift was not working, after climbing 2 flights of stairs with all our bags (no assistance offered) an hour after the check in time, to find the room hadn't been made up.

On arrival back at the reception no apology was offered and another key was handed to us and we were told to "try that one".

Without going into a lengthy review in total during my 2 night stay I was in 4 hotel rooms, due to showers and TV's not working.

Not one of these rooms was clean or stain free.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank meninaboo