“Don't go book somewhere else”
Review of Savoy Hotel

Savoy Hotel
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stay away from this Hotel our weekend away was ruined....the place was shabby black gaffer tape covered rips and tears in the main carpet in the lounge area, also some of the chairs where very badly stained, the rooms were shabby smelly very badly stained carpets, threadbare sitting chairs small duvets that just fitted the bed they were tucked under by the duvet cover which is for a standard single duvet.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel it is absolutely disgusting especially the stains on the bedroom carpets...
2  Thank Susie R
philcroft, General Manager at Savoy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear SusieWirralUK,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We are sorry some areas of your stay did not meet your expectations and hope this does not deter you from staying with Britannia Hotels in the future. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our standards and service.

Thank you again.

Phil Croft

Write a ReviewReviews (2,198)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had to book a room in Blackpool at short notice due to my Mother being in Hospital . Therefore it was more of a place to sleep rather than a leisure or business need.
I booked this purely on price . On arrival I entered the main reception area and the smell that was the first thing I noticed.
It smelt of old nicotine that was embeded in the walls and carpets.
I asked the receptionist if I could have a Double room as I had booked a single , she did this without hesitation. The receptionist the next day was miserable and made no effort to communicate with guests
I went up in the lift , the floor was minging with loads of dust and debris in the runners.
There were dirty dishes and glasses on the shelf outside the lift . These were still here 24 later !!
My room albeit big was really shabby with pink wallpaper ( jaded)
Single glazed windows. There were crumbs on the coffee table by the window .
I didnt think to put to put the heating on andwhen I got back it was freezing . tv was the same size as an a4 piece of paper on a mount on the wall.
The wi fi although free does not work in the room so had to do my e mails etc from lounge area.
There was a guy on keyboards playing to an audience of 6 that included me and the bar man . Absolutely dire!!
There were a couple of other dodgy looking characters in the bar area that stuck out like sore thumb . Made me feel really uncomfortable.
Breakfast next day was Appaling. Cold and basic .
Glad to get out of there .
One big redeeming factor !! The young guy on duty who seemed to be doing everything ie bar, reception did offer to help me with my cases , he put the wi fi code in my lap top , when i came back late from the hospital he made me sandwich . Who ever you are thank you for your help and consideration .
Will never go back !! Worst hotel experience ever . To sum up Dirty, neglected, inhospitable,. What on earth is it like back of house ???

Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ang53

Dear ang53,

Thank you for your comments.

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectations, we are also wanting to improve and your comments will help us do so.

I will pass your comment on to Sam the Duty Manager as he will be most grateful.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

On entering noticed how lovely and warm the reception was and the staff were very friendly and helpful our room was on the third floor the room was clean and warm which having stayed in many Blackpool hotels over the last eleven years is an advantage evening tea was lovely served to us by friendly staff next morning we were directed to a breakfast lounge where we had a very varied chose of hot and cold food full english was exelent. We also was given a bottle of wine with our booking hot snacks were available all day and also a good room service would we go again certainly

Dear Jfconstruction,

Your lovely comments are most appreciated, I am very happy that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Savoy.

I will certainly pass your comments on to the staff its certaily nice to hear you had a warm welcome from our Reception team and you enjoyed the Head Chefs delights.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Where to begin! Upon entering the hotel the stale air hits you immediately, first impression on reaching reception not a good one, especially when you greet them with a friendly hello only to get stared back at as though you are some inconvenience. After been given our room card and pointed in the direction of the very small, scruffy lift we made our way to the third floor. Exiting the lift you notice that the carpets in the halls clearly do not get cleaned or hoovered often, stains can be found on all furniture in the public areas too! The room itself was awful, we had asked for a double bed and ended up with an additional single next to the double minus the mattress but still with a mound of what appeared to be old, dirty bedding. The tv in the room was very small with a remote covered in tape to prevent the batteries falling out! The room we had would have had a nice view of the sea if not for the black mould, dirt and old tape marks around all the windows as well as the broken handle which we found out about when we opened the window and it came off in our hands. The bed itself had clearly seen better days, with tears in the mattress, and it slopping at an angle so your head was lower than your feet! The bathroom was very basic with a shower that didn't work and by looking at the floor didn't get mopped / cleaned very offer. Having stayed the first night we went down to breakfast, badly laid out in a room which seriously needs updating, cooked breakfast buffet style barely warm, needless to say we decided to check out early and check in to a travelogue near Chester which I enjoyed a lot better that this place! My first time visiting Blackpool and I can honestly say I shall not be visiting there again, first impressions count and this hotel is definitely one to avoid!

4  Thank Chris T

Dear Chris T,

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Very welcoming reception staff. Booked a standard double and directed to very dark and dingy family room with hardly any natural light as the only window was very close to brick wall. Television did not work and what we initially thought were biscuit crumbs all over hospitality tray,cupboard and floor were in fact flakes of plaster continually falling from the damp wall which had peeling plaster and damp smell. Requested room change and were given twin bedded room which was brighter, cleaner and adequate. Water dripped through the light fittings in the bathroom and covered floor - meant one had to paddle to get to the loo. Receptionist quite unperturbed and said it would be caused by the people in the room above not putting shower curtain inside bath when taking a shower and they would send someone to mop the floor. 'Someone' never arrived!

Breakfast - we observed "wait here to be seated" sign for several minutes and were completely ignored by the waitress who eventually said just sit anywhere. Completely self service to the point you had to Take cup to another table, put tea bag and water in and then hunt for spoon to remove tea bag. Surely teapots could be provided? Large loaves and bread knife available but having observed several guests manhandling the bread whilst grasping it to cut I suddenly lost my appetite.

This is a hotel from a bygone era which is obviously deteriorating very rapidly and is in need of major investment. Such a shame to see something which must have once been splendid fall into such a state of disrepair. Is Britannia committing its capital to acquisitions rather than maintenance? We certainly won't be staying at the Savoy again.

Room Tip: Book room in another hotel
2  Thank maureenroberts100
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked two rooms for a friend and I at very short notice for a one night stay in Blackpool before I read any reviews. The read some reviews and was worried about what we were going to. For any reasonable person, this hotel out of season and during the week, represents an incredibly good deal. I am sure that the rooms vary in size, decor etc and if your preference is for a plastic, frequently refurbished in IKEA style bog standard characterless hotel, then don't stay here. The Savoy Hotel is located at the quieter end of the seafront. Yes it is true that the decor is looking a little tired but out of season you have to accept that, certainly in the communal areas, the lack of people milling around and filling the bar etc, means you do notice the odd mark on the carpet. I loved the fact that the stained glass windows are still in place throughout plus a beautiful old clock and brass plaques leading to the wonderful ballroom. My double room (single occupancy) was fine and I even had a spa bath. There was no problem with the heating or hot water and it was clean, as was the bedding and towel. There were complimentary toiletries and a teapot so I didn't have to dangle a tea bag in my cup. The receptionist on check in was pleasant, polite and helpful. We went out in the evening to an event and arrived back at around 23.15 not having eaten (as we couldn't find anywhere still serving food). The male receptionist on duty was extremely helpful and made us some excellent ham sandwiches, fresh bread, good filling and well presented with a portion of crisps. Two rounds of sandwiches (4 slices of bread each) and two brandies cost a little over £12. Amazing. Breakfast was absolutely fine with a good choice of cereals and fruit plus a hot trolley loaded with cooked items, plenty of juice and tea and coffee.
I don't usually write this much on my reviews but I really feel that this place has been much maligned by some others. If you prefer the clinical Travelodge style then don't go here but if you want something that has character and a history stay here. I would certainly stay again. For the price, it's amazing.

Room Tip: Some reviews refer to windows that are frosted. We didn't have those. Just ask not to have one...
1  Thank Gypsy008
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Have just stayed for one night,having been moved here from the Norbreck at the last minute and what a dump it is.The room was a cell with window that didn't open,the brick wall outside let in no light.The mattress and bedding along with the carpet were disgusting I wouldn't walk barefoot on it.The dining experience was a huge joke bet they have better food in prisons.I could go on and on about the place but my experience was the same as other reviews on here.If you want a cheap room just to crash out in then this hotel may be for you,but for more than one night or a holiday it's an absolute no no and if any one books to stay here will wish they had listened to the reviews on here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window that opens,but can't see there being any good rooms.
1  Thank jayalee