“not worth £170.00 for 2 nights”
Review of Savoy Hotel

Savoy Hotel
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We booked this hotel 3 months in advance, as we where attending a convention.
We requested a room on 1st or 2nd floor with a front view.
Upon arrival the reception advised us that they had their own "function" on and where booked up. (not that I saw any sign of this) and the web site sill offered vacancies! So, we got given a room on the 3rd floor with no view, and when I say no view I mean no view! the room was at the back of the hotel and had FROSTED WINDOWS which you could not see out of, and alarmingly where painted shut!
With the windows painted shut and no specific fire evacuation proceedures on the back of the door, I wondered if this was illegal.
The room was clean-ish. The carpet has not seen a vacuum for a long time, as when I took my shoes off for bed me feet where covered in hairs and bits (uuuch!) and the shower had a lot of mold on it.
We where offered another room but that was on the forth floor, was identical and as the lifts where broken all weekend, another flight of stairs was just a pain.
I was let down that I paid the same as people who got front view nicer rooms and for £170.00 for 2 nights I got a second rate crappier room.
I believe in getting what you pay for and don't like being ripped off.
But looking at the reviews for the other big 3 / 4 hotels at this end of the shore, it seems to be hit and miss on what room you get.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank get-what-u-pay-for

Reviewed February 18, 2008

Booked with national hollidays as a coach trip.
I went with my husband and 20 month old baby The staff were polite and the hotel is classy looking.
The food was fantastic we had it booked in with the holliday and we ate in a restuarant in the hotel with exellent service and best food i have tasted.
every one was friendly we got on great with other people staying there.
My only complaint was the room was to warm and the bar staff on our downstairs free bar were verry arogant but the manager sorted them out as soon as a complaint was made.
Night time entertainment is more for the older generation but not a problem becouse there is a diffrent bar if you dont like it.
i recomend it for people of all ages family or single.
over all a great hotel

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank madmum901
Reviewed January 29, 2008

This hotel has to be one of the worst I have stayed in, I booked as a last minute deal, and arrived the next day to find I had no booking, I was then told the lift was not working, after climbing 2 flights of stairs with all our bags (no assistance offered) an hour after the check in time, to find the room hadn't been made up.

On arrival back at the reception no apology was offered and another key was handed to us and we were told to "try that one".

Without going into a lengthy review in total during my 2 night stay I was in 4 hotel rooms, due to showers and TV's not working.

Not one of these rooms was clean or stain free.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank meninaboo
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Above average 3 star hotel.
We stayed in room 118 very large with extra single bedroom.
The hotel has recently been refurbished.
The breakfasts were adequate with a selection of hot and cold foods although the plates were cold, we were told the heating elements were broken.
The Gynn pub across the road has a nice dining room and also serves bar lunches and snacks-very reasonable.
We found the staff pleasent and helpful and although we had to make up our own beds on the Saturday the staff brought plenty of fresh towels and heaps of tea,coffee,milk and biscuits when we complained.
Parking is restricted with some patrons having to park on the street outside the walls.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Ban HamishLondon England
Reviewed January 7, 2008

i stayed at the hotel overnight a last minute thing really we checked in real late about 11.30pm on arrival we checked in pleasent man on the desk peter we went upto our room to get changed came back down had a few drinks and sandwiches which were absolutely delicous and another ace chap michael sorted it and the next day we was leavin the same two people carried our cases down with another chap we was treated really well and breakfast was a winner to all in all a fantastic one night stay

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank john101_8
Reviewed December 6, 2007

When you first walk into the savoy the polished reception desk and grand stairway are immediately likable. I even thought i had been too harsh on my husband for booking a 2 star hotel. However when we reached our room which was tiny with a stupidly large bathroom ( bad planning), i knew we were in for a rough stay.
We have a 2 year old son so we were provided with a travel cot which was nice enough, but it was placed beneath the tv brackted to the wall hence a number of near misses with our heads.
my main complaint with the hotel was the huge metal pipes we had running through the room the boiling hot to touch which meant we had to be so careful with our little boy, as touching them would have caused nasty burns. They made the room incredibly hot we had the window open wide all night long, we did ask for a fan from reception but of course this never appeared.
i think if it had just been me and my husband i wouldn't have been so irate, but having our son with us in that room meant we had hardly any sleep as,understandably, he could not sleep in the heat.
word of warning do not bring children here.
very disapointed i'm so glad we were only there for 1 night.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank moss1
Reviewed November 22, 2007

Stayed 1 night to watch a concert in Blackpool. Very nice pleasant hotel. In the process of ongoing works when i was staying and the buffet breakfast didn't look to impressive, by 9am it had gone past it's best and there were few staff around to make any complaints to. Went through about eight glasses from the juice bar and eventually settled on one less than spotless glass. Rooms were pleasant and clean. Would visit again but wouldn;t like to have stayed for longer than a night or two.

Stayed: November 2007