“A stay of 2 halves.”

Village Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband treated me to a night away for our wedding anniversary to escape it all last Saturday .

As we approached the hotel I was very surprised with the scenic grounds - as I have stayed at various other village hotels - and this was so pretty and out of the way, not the normal village style :-)

We arrived earlier than the advertised check in so was pleasantly surprised when we were given our room at 12.45 and could drop off our luggage straight away and head for the leisure facilities . Even though the reception was exceptionally busy with wedding guests this didn't prevent us from getting a speedy and warm check in service.

The swimming pool facilities are brill with the added bonus of an outdoor pool even in spring months .

We then headed into the victory pub around 3.30 which was busy again with wedding guests and various other groups ( golfers/ birthday parties) presumably staying in the hotel . The groups were intermittently rowdy but it's a Saturday evening in a pub this is to be expected. This didn't stop hasty service. The staff were accommodating of my vegetarian requests and the food was great ( none of it healthy but when watching football what else do you want :-). )

We then headed back to the room around 8pm to make the most of our upgraded room/sky package and this is where things went down hill. Arriving back to the room after dark there was very little light even when all main lights AND lamps were turned on. Thank goodness I wasn't getting ready for a night in the town as I would not have been able to see any make up applications or outfit choices . I kid you not the rooms were dark . I even the following morning had to ask my husband to move away from the window to stop blocking light and this was during daylight hours.

As we settled down to watch a film we could hear as clear as day meatloaf songs being blasted out and sung too by a group of females who I assumed were In the next room. As it was only 8pm we tried to ignore it and finally it stopped at about 9.15 when the girls had clearly left the room to go out for the evening . Phew .

We finally turned the lights off to go to sleep at 9.30 ( you may think this is early but I am in early stages of pregnancy and all I am capable of is sleeping alot ) and enjoyed resting in the comfy upgraded bed.

This was very short lived however as at 23.45 we are awoken by more meatloaf songs and girls singing at the top of their voices so we can hear every out of tune catawailing syllable . After a few minutes I phone reception who answer promptly and advise they will send someone up ASAP. They were true to their word and a guy knocked on our door to advise the room next to us was empty. ( the room I assumed noise was coming from ) I invited him into our room so he could hear the ruckus and after persuading him it wasn't from the bar it was deffo hotel guests in a room he left to investigate further. He came back shortly to advise it was the room below us and he had told them to quieten down. Brilliant !

After he left I got back in bed and the next thing a Basier tune came on even louder - a dance version of I'm having the time of my life - with even more screechy singing. I phoned reception again to advise they had turned the music up and can only assume the guy went back as after that song the music stopped but the chatter and hysterical laughter went on until 00.45 . So much for an early relaxing upgraded night.

Once awake you can also hear alot of door slamming as people arrive back to their rooms but again is this really preventative anywhere in a busy hotel - I guess I am probably normally too drunk to hear it or probably one of them lol

So in a nut shell the hotel itself is beautiful with great facilities- As long as your good at dressing in the dark.

Service great from all quarters but BEWARE if choosing it as a relaxation jaunt that the other guests may not be!

:-)

• Stayed: March 2013
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hi "ManPick",

Thank you for your recent review of Herons' Reach.

We are glad you enjoyed using the facilities but are sorry to hear that you had a disturbed nights sleep as we would want all our guests to be able to relax.

We do hope that you would come and stay with us in the future and our congratulations on your pregnancy!

Janine Whur

Write a ReviewReviews (4,228)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

First off, couldn't get in to room until 4pm and then lift to top floor with 2 dogs and all luggage not working. Room very dark and not usual standard for Village Hotels and after having stayed at Slaley in Newcastle there was no comparison. The food in the Victory Pub was good but breakfast in the restaurant was awful. We were shoved by a member of staff who couldn't be bothered into a table in an alcove which we had to squeeze in and out of, which wasn't worth the effort for the breakfast which was cold and of poor quality. The restaurant is not the best of lay outs and decor is neither old fashioned or modern. Not sure about this Italian theme at all! Doesn't really work! Rooms not cleaned until just before 4pm. I think the Hotel is under staffed, they never answer the front desk and beware no SKY channels unless you stay in an UpperDeck room. We've stayed in Liverpool, Hull, Hexham and Newcastle Village Hotels and all had Sky in the rooms. This was a very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: You need to take an Upperdeck room but will have to pay extra!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hi "Mary H",

Thank you for your recent review of Herons' Reach.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay, if you would like to discuss this further, please can you contact myself via email with your contact details.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked this Hotel hoping for a relaxing family weekend with my 65 year old mother, 9 year old niece and my sister.
How wrong was I!!!!
The Hotel was littered with drunks who were either on stag do's or hen parties.
The atmosphere was loud and leary something you would expect on an 18-20's holiday in Magaluf.
There was no way I could have considered taking my mother and niece into the public bar area, it was like a tap room.
We ate dinner in the Italian, my mother’s fish was not cooked and the Tiramisu was sour.
The worst was to come, we had no sleep whatsoever due to the drunks shouting and screaming outside the rooms and knocking on our door, this continued until 06.00hrs. This resulted in a call to security who were very dismissive.
This is not a family Hotel, Herons Reach should decide what type of clientele they want to attract, as hen parties and stag do's do not mix well with children and the elderly.
I might as well stayed in a cheap nasty B&B on Blackpool prom.
On speaking to a friend she experienced the knocking on her door when she stayed last year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Hi "Oldhouse",

Thanks for your recent review of Herons' Reach.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, if you could contact me back direct so I can discuss these issues further that would be great.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I booked to stay at The Herons Reach Hotel 24/25/26th December 2012 to be near our daughter, son- in-law and three grandchildren for the christmas period.At the time of booking my husband had lengthy discussions with a booking clerk re his needs, which are a room suitable for an powered wheelchair and wheel in shower with appropriate handrails etc and twin beds, he was assured that they were able to fulfil his requirements.
On arrival at the hotel the room we had been allocated was a standard double bed and a bath. I rang reception to explain this room was not fit for purpose and was told they did not have a room of the type we required until the night of the 26th, they did however take us to a family room. This room was excellent for his wheelchair however the shower had a deep step which my husband was unable to accommodate.
We had booked evening dinner for ourselves and family which did not come upto the standard we had had on previous visits to De Vere hotels.
On Christmas morning we booked out of the hotel spent a few hours with our daughter and famiily then returned home to Durham. A christmas we had looked forward to so much was ruined by a booking clerk who either does not understand the problems of disability and therefore needs some training or just did not care so long as he achieved a booking.
We complained to the hotel manager in writing and was given a small refund and assured if we booked again we would have the facilities my husband requires for his safety and dignity! Do we want to take the risk? We also complained to the cenral booking office in a letter sent by recorded delivery but have not had a reply!
I would like to say the housekeepr on duty on our arrival was very professional and sympathetic tried her best to make us comfortable .

Room Tip: Ask for photographs of the room you are requesting
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Slimshadyone

Hi "Slimshadyone",

Thanks for your recent review of Herons' Reach.

We were sorry to hear that you had some issues with your disabled room.

If you do wish to return to the hotel if you could contact myself direct I will go through the various disabled room options we do have at Herons' Reach to ensure you have the one that meets your requirements.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I spent a short break here with my sister, and found it very nice indeed, the outside pool was lovely and warm and the indoor pool was beautiful. Quite a good location far enough away from the hustle and bustle of town, but close enough to get into town.
Now the bad points, rooms are very dark, toilet was broke when we arrived, we left a note for the cleaner and it was still broke when we left 4 days later, also on the note for the cleaner (left at 7.30am) we asked for more pillows, at 9pm we asked in reception for more pillows, at 9,30pm we asked if we were getting pillows, at 11pm a porter knock on our bedroom door and woke me up to ask if we still wanted the pillows when I said yes he said I'll go and get you some. At 11.30pm the pillows finally arrived. Breakfast was nice but not upto the standard it has been in previous visits and I'm still not sure where the £6m refurb is.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorna C

Hi "Lorna C",

Thanks for your recent review of Herons' Reach.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed using our leisure facilities especially the pools.

I am sorry you did encounter issues with obtaining extra pillows ... these comments have now been passed to our Head Housekeeping and Night Manager.

We do hope to welcome you back to Herons' Reach in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lovely hotel, very clean and quite posh! Stayed in March with a group of friends on a spa weekend. I cannot praise the staff enough at this hotel, friendly, polite, welcoming all resulting in making you feel very valued as a customer!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Hi "Toni C",

Thanks for your recent review of Herons' Reach.

All our team at Herons' Reach will be delighted to hear your great comments about them!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Village hotel is a great place to focus and relax whilst on the driving course. It has fantastic facilities, we just love the pools and the classes at the gym. Excellent driving course with Learndrive who arrange the hotel accommodation for you.

V. good place to stay.

Room Tip: Consider upper deck? people say is worth it for that bit extra. Enjoy a peaceful night sleep before...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hi "sarahnphil",

Thanks for your recent review of Herons' Reach.

We are very pleased to hear that you love the hotel and using the facilities.

Please come and visit us again very soon!

I also hope that you passed your driving test?