“family get-together”

Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Warrington, United Kingdom
“family get-together”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here for two nights first weekend of new year as a group of ten.The staff was great, place very clean,the rooms are quite nice but the decor and lighting very dark.The hotel breakfast was good but all the plates was always stone cold so your breakfast went cold straightaway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 37geering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Wigan
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Got a great deal on groupon for one nights stay for 2 adults and 2 kids, pkus use of pool and a three course dinner. Pool was brilliant, both of them!!! The outdoor swimming pool is heated so much it was like a hot bath! Kids loved it. Food in restaurant was lovely. Rooms where what ypu wluld expect, clean, modern and provided all you needed.

Very close to blackpool zoo which is a great day out with the kids, miles better than Chester Zoo in my opinion and more suitable for children as there isnt loads of walking to one animal to the next.

Very impressed and would stay again :-)

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank singintheblues
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband, myself and our 6 year old son stayed here in august.It was a treat for my 40th birthday. We loved the hotel, didn't like the Italian restaurant. We had a meal first night of our stay as part of the booking. We waited 45 mins for a cold starter and then another 30mins for our main meal. The wee one was bored by the time we had waited and wanted to leave. Our waiter was apologetic and waived the drink bill, but we would never eat there again. Would return to the hotel, staff were very friendly and location of the hotel was just far enough to be able to drive into the town centre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Blackpool
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have stayed at another village hotel and yet again not disappointed. Only one area i have reduced my score was the sleep quality had a rather noisy neighbour which sounded very much like an all male party . Dont really think this is the the type of establishment which would have accepted this type of booking. hopefully their room wasnt damaged.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank matthew w
UK
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Me and my Husband stayed at the hotel for two nights from Boxing Day. The hotel itself and our room was clean and welcoming. In fairness all the staff were polite and welcoming. However, having been let down by a restaurant in Blackpool for our meal on Boxing Day, we decided to book in at the hotels restaurant. We prepaid for our meals, which were cold starters and a carvery. Simple food which anyone, let alone a restaurant could get right surely? How wrong can you be! My Husband finished his less than impressive starter before me, so went to get his carvery first. When I returned he had the "Chef" in front of him and was telling him that the food on his plate was inedible. (To which the "Chef" advised he could not understand and invited him to go back for another plate full!) As soon as I tasted the food on my own plate I could see why; tough overcooked beef, overcooked and soggy or raw vegetables (and I mean raw) with gravy like an oil slick. Having voiced our complaints to the floor manager we were given a refund. We then went to the pub in the hotel for some bar food, taking with us the vastly overpriced and distinctly average bottle of wine purchased in the restaurant, which had cost £23. Although not very exciting, the food we were served in the bar was at least hot and edible. Our advice - by all means stay at the hotel, but don't bother eating there.

7 Thank UkNorthernLass

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family of three arrived for a three night Christmas break. The staff politeness and willingness to please was excellent. We have used Herons reach several times in the past at Christmas and staff have always been professional.

The Christmas day meal was excellent; tasty , hot, plentiful and served on time.It was very well orchestrated by two head waiters overseeing everything. At the same time a familiar face in the form of a kids entertainer (been at Heron's Reach for years) was keeping the kids amused and the parents giggling at his comments.

Now then, the negatives. The breakfast aint like it used to be. There seems to be a choice of orange juice and grapefuit juice now. The tomato juice has been dropped. You also had a choice of figs and prunes and all sorts of ruit at one time - that's gone. And I swear you could have a German breakfast once upon time but all thats gone too.

The biggest negative though is the Italian restaurant.We went there Christmas Eve. The most Italian thing about it I think is all the photos stuck on the wall with Italian references : Gina Lollobrigada swoons on the wall as you wait in excitement for a treat but are soon to be disappointed. We paid in advance for our meal when we booked the hotel. We had mundane starters but we were still hopeful about the mains. After all they had steak didn't they? Well, no they had run out of steak - the most expensive option on the menu. Eight p.m and a restaurant not particularly crowded runs out of steak?

O.K so I settle for salmon, my wife settles for chicken -they sound sort of Italian on the menu. 45 minutes later they arrive. My wife has got kind of deep fried chicken nuggets on her plate with sauce that appears to be out of a jar - that must be the Italian bit. My salmon is the same - with sauce from a jar to make it Italian.

Now I suppose you're wondering what we had for vegetables? Well, you'll probably be as surprised as we were to learn that you didn't get vegetables. What you got was a choice between chip and , I think, deep fried potatoes in their skins. We had the latter. They were hard and tasteless!!

I then chose my dessert off the menu - bread and butter pudding. The waitress was most apologetic but they had run out of bread and butter pudding. Can you run out of bread and butter pudding? Can't you make more isn't it made out of bread and er, butter and a few sultanas.My daughter has a sort of anaemic pasta dish but at least it's tasty.

There were things went wrong with our hotel room too - the door handle coming off because there no screws in it. The heating not coming on. But the hotel put them right eventually and compensated us with a bottle of wine. So, as I say, staff forever polite and professional. We have written a letter of complaint about the Italian restaurant though and still await reply. It was almost as though the restaurant were taking the mickey out of the customers (no steak at eight o clock, what appeared to be sauce out of jar) as well as serving up unappetising food. False economy really because I wont be going back there to the Italian restaurant. The hotel itself - don't know.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ian j
Manchester
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for the weekend. There was a Robbie Williams tribute night being held at the hotel and the receptionist kindly gave us a room away from the noise (room 406). A lovely room , though I questioned how well it was cleaned as there was a 3 day old news paper on the chair. Bathroom was clean.

My only real complaint was that the drainage in the bathroom was terrible. It took 3 or 4 mins for the water to drain whilst having a shower. I don't know if that was the same for all rooms but......it not good!!

Breakfast was excellent! The gym is very good, nice and spacious with the usual machines and a quality free weights area.

I would stay again and hope they get their drainage system sorted by then!! So for that I'd only give it 3 stars, otherwise it would have been 4.5.

2 Thank Bootcamp09