“Awful experience!”

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Awful experience!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Me and my husband visited the central pier on a visit to Blackpool. It was a sunny day and wanted some photos of us on the pier with the sea and tower in the background. Upon walking into the pier we were immediately shouted at by a 'stall holder' who ran one of those fairground games. My husband is very polite and despite being shouted at he agreed to have a go. Of course he didn't win anything and turned to walk away. The 'stall holder' then got very aggressive and began offering my husband deals on the game. This time i said a firm 'No' and walked away taking my husband along. The 'stall holder' then began shouting abuse and swearing at us as we didn't wish to waste anymore time or money on his game. At one point he came out from behind his booth and needless to say me and my husband walked very quickly away.

We got our photos and made a very quick exit back round the other side of the pier avoiding the 'stall holder', but even then we got shouted at by another one.

Never going back. We felt scared and to be frank, threatened.

Visited April 2012
6 Thank Pink J

Nottingham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Blackpool-What a shame”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Had a day out in Blackpool on October the 9th. (was last here 7 years ago)
We entered Blackpool on the usual M55 motorway and was faced by a massive sign with loads of information which is impossible to read when you are driving and had 2 choices of roads to take needless to say I took the wrong one and ended up at the pleasure beach end. After a quick detour we eventually arrived at the car park nearest the tower and was shocked at the parking charge of £12 for 12 hours. This is such a rip-off and would not tempt me back to this resort.
The walk along the seafront has been enhanced by a massive improvement and was a pleasure to walk down, however cross the road and Blackpool is just as it was, shabby, closed down shops and hotels, dirty buildings in need of painting, in fact when you look at most of the resort Dulux could do a roaring trade here. We had breakfast in Weatherspoons as there was no where else open first thing which was excellent quality and value. During the day we visited both the central and north piers which appear to be stuck in a time warp, again looking very tired weather beaten and uncared for (that paint would have come in handy) it would have been nice to find somewhere clean to have a drink but we avoided this on both of the piers.
The trams,the trams where have all those old Blackpool trams gone which gave it such a character. Well they have been replaced by shiny new machines whilst obviously warm and modern look out of the place in the Blackpool I knew. The Tower was wrapped in scaffolding having a facelift by the looks of it. The town centre was bustling, but not very clean again many empty shops present on the main streets. We walked down towards the pleasure beach to look for somewhere to eat. Again many places were close down or shut for the season i know its October and out of season but the resort was busy. There was even a pub on the corner of the big one closed. Pablo's fish and chip restaurant saved the day with a freshly cooked meal and good service as well. The sun set and the night set in and it got darker and darker and no illuminations is someone trying to save on the electricity bill. Then eventually they switched on which turned out to be a bit of a downer,bland and boring come to mind. previous visits to the illuminations gave us tram after tram of dazzling light in the 2 hours we stayed we only saw the train in all it's glory. Another thing we noticed was some of the arcades did not have their external lighting on which would have added to the wilted atmosphere. Blackpool could be so much better, cleaner and brighter it's a real shame the powers to be cannot see this and make it happen. If visitor numbers are down it's clear to see why. The £12 parking charge is an extortionate start to the day for any family. Will we go back? probably in 7 years when the rest of the resort has had the same treatment as the sea front and paint sales have shown a dramatic increase.

4 Thank Trickee42
Birmingham, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Bad news travels fast!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We visited Blackpool last Saturday to see the light illuminations with the kids.

We were advised against the Pleasure Beach for its high prices and besides we only had a couple of hours to kill prior to sunset.

Instead we opted for a walk from the first pier along the promenade, up to the Tower and on the way back treat the kids to some rides at the Central Pier.

Note, this review is about my experiences at Central Pier only and not about Blackpool as a whole. Also we only tried out the rides and did not visit the arcade or stalls there.

We purchased 25 tokens for £20 (valid for the day of purchase and the following day only). Otherwise a token was £1.10 each if purchased individually.

Overall we found the rides to be a total rip off! For example, a dodgem ride was priced at 3 tokens (£3.30). And if you stay seated on a ride once it has finished, you are able to have another go for only an additional 1 token (e.g. 3 tokens for 1st ride + 1 token for second ride).

Sounds pretty straightforward ... or so you'd think. I went on the dodgems with my 8 year old and attempted to pay the attendant an additional token for my second ride only to be told that he did not see me on the last ride and so insisted I pay the full fare again.

I would have accepted this more readily if I felt it was a genuine mistake but all three attendants on the dodgems at the time (one of which took my initial 3 tokens only 3 minutes earlier) confronted me and once I was removed from the ride, they proceeded in laughing, joking and high-fiving one another!

Clearly they can't be very good attendants if they are unable to tend to their ride goers, let alone recognize them! Bad form guys.

I'm so glad that they are on Trip Advisor and I'm able to review them. This really put a dampener on our experiences at Blackpool but at least I feel I've had the last laugh!

6 Thank BhamAnon
Tredegar, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Legends show best show in blackpool”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Went to see legends, brilliant, all the family loved it.Robbie Williams the best thought you was seeing the real one. Can't wait to see them again.

1 Thank jayne g
Northampton, United Kingdom
131 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Horrible atmosphere”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Don't waste your time, the rides are vastly overpriced (nearly £5 for the big wheel that's falling apart), the 'arcade' is amongst the worst on the prom and the stalls and their holders will harrass and abuse you when you say you're not interested.

3 Thank simpsonite64