“excellence in abundance”

The Clarendon Showtel
Ranked #47 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed April 29, 2011

we recently stayed here to celebrate my mother's 50th birthday, and may i say it was quite possibly the best decision we made to both stay and host the party at the winterbourne! it may be small, but the service we received was second to none, every inch of the hotel was pristinely clean and the food provided by owner karen? excellent!! i can only compare our stay to being wrapped in a big fluffy blanket and being fed comfort food, such was the welcome and level of service we received. i would happily recommend this hotel to anyone, not just for their hosting skills but for the sheer value for money! it may be cheap but don't let the prices fool you, you get the kind of service and welcome you'd usually only find at a 5 star hotel. well done everyone who work so hard to make every stay happy and comfortable, both karen and james are absolute stars - and on a final note, well done on finding some of the best cabaret around - fantastic!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank marmite-girl30

Reviewed April 29, 2011

Spent Easter weekend at The Winterbourne. The new reception area and bar are looking lovely, and I know Karen and James have plans for more improvements As usual, being there felt like visiting friends and we had a fantastic time. Look forward to going back in June for the 50s and 60s weekend.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy50
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cheap and cheerful but this place was awful. Ok the staff were friendly (ish) but the food was horrendous and the rooms, well, I would rather have camped, at least it would have been clean! I was scared to move in bed incase it broke it was that flimsy and the sheets were about 20 years old. I dread to think how many bugs and things were living in there!
We went for a friends bday so I made myself stay but if it was just me and my partner we would have left and found somewhere else.
Even the location wasn't great.
Please, spend a bit more and get somewhere that is at least clean!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
8  Thank Monkey12479
jamesreay, Manager at The Clarendon Showtel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Whilst we welcome all reviews, good or bad. We feel you are being a little unfair ,but we have taken on board everything you have said and since you were last here the room in question has been changed .
1 new sink and vanity unit
2 new curtains
3 new bedding
4 the bathroom has been renovated

with regards to cleanliness, our standards are high and can only assume that our cleaners let our standards drop. Its unfortunate that you did not let us know straight away as we would have been able to resolve the situation .
The guests are first and foremost in our business and we regret this occurence.
Our rooms ARE small as stated in our literature but are of an acceptable standard and we have many a satisfied customer ,and our renovations are ongoing.

Reviewed December 13, 2009

I love the Winterbourne spent a few very happy Christmases at this hotel hosts Matt Karen and Anthony ( Blanche ) and the staff are just the best FIRST CLASS IN MY EYES they really made me very welcome and looked after me very well especially with me being Veggie.Yes it is a basic hotel but it is CLEAN and very friendly with great food and drink and at christmas especially you have a lots of fun.sadly due to work am unable to go this year and will miss everyone dearly.I highly reccomend this place if you want a budget hotel and there are a lot of returning guests which only adds to their poularity long may it continue.sending all my good wishes to all the Staff.April in Stoke on trent.xx

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank aprilvic1
Reviewed November 27, 2009

If your wanting a good value hotel look no further, fair enough the rooms are basic but there clean and comfortable and to be honest your only sleeping in it. The food served is fantastic, proper home cooked stuff (like the roasts) and Matts cravy should become its own food group!! The hosts Matt and Karen are extremly friendly as is all the stall at the winterbourne, They also put on some great live entertainment with some genuinely good singers. I have been going their for 3 years running and will be be booking again for next year.

• Stayed: November 2009
1  Thank kram1977
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Have stayed in this hotel many times, and it's great! Ok, it's not the Ritz, but doesn't claim to be anything other than what it is - a 'cheap and cheerful' hotel! The emphasis has got to be on the cheerful. The staff are the friendliest you'd get anywhere and will go out of their way to help you in any way they can. The rooms ARE small, but we've never experienced anything but the highest standards in cleanliness and service. If you want a fun stay in Blackpool without breaking the bank, I'd always recommend The Winterbourne!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy50
Reviewed November 27, 2009

i went and stayed in the winterbourne hotel during the summer and really enjoyed my stay there. i found that the staff were very friendly and that they provided lots of entertainment during the evenings. They provide smoking rooms and non smoking rooms in a seperate area, and the rooms were very cosy, and is situated close to all the clubs and attractuions, would really adise any one who is staying in blackpool to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends