“Awful”
Review of Carlis Hotel

Carlis Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Carlis Hotel
Ranked #733 of 863 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Dingy, dirty socks on the stairs, hole in the bed sheet, dirty, smelly room, filthy windows, no lights during the night, very noisy, out of date breakfast cereal. Slept on top of the bed with the hood up on my dressing gown! In the morning the landlady said that often the upstairs lights fuse or the downstairs light fuse so this is a common occurrence. I am really surprised this hotel is allowed to stay open.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 22, 2013

On arrival was greeted with a gross smell of wet dog, greasy fry up and stale cigarettes. When Beryl was handing over keys for 23 ladies in the dirty grubby kitchen where she kept the Dog!! She told me she had re-arranged the rooms requested with Steve at Awesome Bookings as "it was her hotel" nice attitude?!? I was in the room for 6 where 2 of the pillows smelt like aftershave and there was pubic hairs in one of the beds, when asked to change the bedding she said the beds had been changed and that the cleaner sprayed the rooms with aftershave!!! The windows were filthy as though NEVER seen a window cleaner! The lights in our bathroom did not work! Although we were lucky to have electric as others couldnt even have a shower and when all the electric went off Beryl stated this was as someone had turned a light on!!! Was fun carrying our bags down pitch black stairs (especially my pregnant sister!! Drinks in the bar were out of date! Did not experience breakfast due to seeing kitchen when got keys. Our room was on the first floor so the music blasting from the bar til 5am was great!?!? Only had 1 key between6 of us so was told to leave key at bar! Did not trust them so when some girls got locked out of room they were given a master key to unlock their room (the staff didnt even make sure they belonged at the hotel or even go with them) so as there was a stag party in thd hotel who had sprayed rooms and each other with the fire extinguisher earlier on in thr day we were peyrified of someone coming into our room so jammed our door with our bags. Was sooooooo happy to get out of the hotel as was dirty, unhygenic, noisy and foul...couldnt wait to have a shower at my clean home. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH AND HYGEINE!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank missduffy1
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed there two nights ago for a friends birthday weekend and all I can say is that I'm still trying to wash the smell off me! The rooms are minging! The top bunk of the bed I slept in was dirty smelling with old tired sheets and bedding. There was also a kebab plattered on the hall stairs for about 9 hours until it was cleaned up. The room for the 3 of us cost £75!!!! Which I found shocking, I wouldn't have paid but my friends arrived earlier than me and had already handed over the money.

I will say that this is a place for a lads weekend but not for girls. There's no room to get ready and the bathroom is tiny. Beryl the owner is lovely and really helpful, I heard that the breakfasts were good also but couldn't bring myself to eat arond the stench of the place.

The bar is handy an I enjoyed the jukebox and pool table. But I can't lie, the place did put a dampener on the weekend. Stay away if you value personal and domestic hygiene.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

a lot of ppl moaning about this place for no reason, you book into this place on a stag do and get what you pay for, baring in mind that the owners beryl and trevor are in thier 60's they really love the craic, we came here for 3 nights and to be fair we were load and give them hell of a life, but they were amazing, trevor was up all hours putting up with our welsh antics, beryl cooked us breakfast every morning and even did us some ironing, trevor opened the bar up in the morning on request, bedrooms were tidy, they couldnt do enough for us and we are grateful we went here. nowhere else will give you a better stay, anywhere else they would have thrown us out, if you want a stag or a hen do i strongly advise you stay here, thank you beryl and trevor for a rememberable stay. powgys stag do 2012 @flea180

Room Tip: all rooms are quality,
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Let me just start by saying that prior to arriving in Blackpool, I was a little apprehensive about a B B that catered for Stag and Hen Do's. I was on a stag do myself and appreciated that we sought value for money for such a sizeable group and because so many hotels and B & B's do not accept stag or hen groups, this seemed to be a sound option. The hotel is in a great location, very central. The rooms, we had a 6 and a 4, were of good size, very basic, but were clean and tidy. The breakfasts were hearty, lots of cereals, cooked breakfast if wanted and lots of toast, coffee and orange juice. At night, it was quiet enough, any noise I'm sure came from neighbouring hotels so this was not an issue for me. I will save the best for last here though. Beryl the landlady was absolutely fantastic, she could not do enough for us. All 10 within the group would say the exact same. Very friendly lady, non intrusive but very helpful with directions and suggestions. Her recommendation for a local Chinese restaurant - the Lucky House - was spot on. Some of the finest pork dumplings I have ever tasted. On departure day she appreciated that we had a mid afternoon train and so she kindly let us store our bags in the hotel. She even took the time to arrange our taxis whilst we went for a final wander along the seafront. The lady is a gem, very hospitable and embraced our group as if we were family. I can understand that people may not find this hotel to be their cup of tea, but it is what it is. It is cheap, cheerful, central and the customer service is greater than some of the 4 and 5 star hotels I have stayed in previously over the years. Highly suitable for large groups, and I would recommend. I never thought having read the reviews previously I would be saying this, but having now experienced it for myself I would certainly visit again. Mainly for Beryls 5 star customer service. A huge thanks from 10 very happy chaps. Thanks Beryl.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Having booked through Awesome Weekends for 22 guys, for our yearly works trip, i read the reviews here & was a bit concerned. I should'nt have been. For £25 including wristbands( which a lot of places refused free entry although on leaflet it was included) The Carlis was brilliant. The landlady Beryl phoned me the day before to ask when we were arriving, check-in was 3.00 pm, i told Beryl, we were arriving by train at 11 am, she said "no problem, will have rooms ready & will have bar open for us too" Brilliant!! When we arrived, Beryl could not have been more welcoming. We had 6 rooms, 3 x twins , 2 x quads & six bed room. all rooms were clean, beds clean, decor basic. Not a complaint from any of my party. Trevor the barman, was friendly & always there. Kept the bar open until at least 3am, that's when I went to bed. Breakfast in morning was terrific. Full English, cooked perfect. All I can say is, for the money & amount of time spent in hotel , if you are a stag or hen party, this hotel is ideal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank happyh29
Reviewed July 29, 2012

What can we say, third visit in two years- Beryl is the Best Landlady in Blackers, nothing is too much trouble; rooms are clean, comfy bed, top breakfast with plenty of tea & toast, Leave your luggage, safe & sound until your ready to head home. Small bar but reasonable priced so have a few before you head out and pay silly prices in the bars/clubs, then when your back have a night cap or too as the bar will be open. For £30 you get an ideal location, excellent hostess, a comfy clean bed, hearty breakfast..... If you expect more than that then maybe the Blackpool scene ain't for you, maybe you should try the Hilton in London but not sure what you'd get for your £30!

• Stayed: July 2012