“Brilliant hotel!”

Ardwick House Hotel
Ranked #341 of 864 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for a long weekend at the end of July, and I could not find a single fault with the hotel. As a group of 9 people, all aged 17-18, I think I speak for everyone when I say how fantastic it really was. The staff were hilarious and attentive, making sure we had everything we needed. They were also on hand to provide us with suggestions on how to spend our evenings, Steve, who runs the hotel, even provided us with vouchers to get a discount on popular blackpool attractions! By the end of the weekend he had nicknames for our entire group, I was flower, Steve and Sue genuinely make an effort to make your stay at the hotel fantastic.

The rooms were also clean and tidy, decorated well. The breakfast in the morning was also lovely, if you're not much of a fried food fan though there was also cereal and toast available. The location is also fantastic, literally a two minute walk from the central pier! I can't think of anything to fault the hotel on, so for that reason I would wholeheartedly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jordanelee D

Reviewed September 10, 2013

It's official. Whenever my girlfriend and I talk about what it means to stay in a bad hotel, we smile wryly and talk about our stay in Blackpool. We went as part of a larger group for two nights in March and came away slightly shell-shocked by the negativity of the experience.

The people who are running the hotel were polite, friendly and welcoming. Them, I can't fault, as reflected in my 'Service' sub-rating. The actual hotel, however...

The room was small, cramped and, we strongly suspect, unclean. We were so cold and alarmed by the burn marks and texture of the sheets that we slept in two layers of clothing to protect ourselves. Our 'non-smoking' room smelt of smoke and seemed generally cold and unwelcoming.

The shared bathroom facilities were a real disappointment. First of all, we had to ask for a bath towel - there was a rather startling presumption that we weren't expected to need to wash ourselves during our stay. Further, the shower simply would not heat up and the only way I could survive being blasted by the jets of ice was to grit my teeth and cuss softly under my breath. I also couldn't help but noticing a steady tickle of dirty water eminating from the shower fitting - I am at a loss to know how that even got there. On reflection, perhaps not giving us a towel was their way of giving us a chance to save ourselves from taking a shower there!!!

Breakfast was decent, although I was somewhat taken aback by the following conversation
"I'll have breakfast please" "Great, that'll be..." *hand outstretched*
And I found myself expected to fork over cash, over the table, before I've even settled down to eat! Confusing.

The location was so-so, but it's easy to lose where you are in the dark and forbidding streets around Blackpool - we'd admit to not feeling entirely safe on the way back.

In conclusion, our stay at this hotel was an unpleasant experience, and memorable for all the wrong reasons. The only saving grace being the friendly people running it.

My advice? Avoid. Or else, go there and then every hotel you stay in afterwards is likely to feel better.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are of better quality.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

What a fab B&B.
We went for a hen party and had so much fun. The owners couldn't do enough for us. We were peckish in the afternoon so they would bring us sandwiches or toasters for a very small price!!! And it was bloody beautiful. Rooms were very clean. Rooms are smoking rooms however I am a non smoker and I couldn't smell any smoke on bed linen etc. Breakfast was very nice, a couple of the party didn't fancy a full English so the owners cooked something different for them. Excellent B&B would definitely stay again. Thank you for making us all welcome!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I come from Wolverhampton, I stayed at Ardwick House for 8 nights with two kid's, when arrived I was greated by the owner and was very polite and helpful, the room was big enough for the 3 of us, the hotel/shower/toilets were always clean and tidy, the owners went out their way to help me (at all hours), breakfast was decent time and decent choice of cereals and cooked breakfast was ample, the hotel is very family/group friendly (regardless of how many), the hotel is just a few minutes walk from the beach/shop's, car parking is near by (with-in a 2 minute walk of the hotel), on the whole I can't think of a bad word for the hotel or the owners, when I return to Blackpool in the near future I will be returning to this hotel, and I can/will recommend this hotel to anyone to wishes to stay in Blackpool. 110% happy with everything.
D. Jeffs

1  Thank Dave J
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just come back from a hen weekend stay at this hotel.The hotel was clean and tidy.Steve and sue who run the hotel could not do enough for you best hosts I've ever had 10 out of 10. It's not always the facilities that make your stay a pleasurable one but also the staff and the way you are treated.breakfast was fantastic especially what you pay for it you won't get a deal like that anywhere.I called Steve from my room in the afternoon and told him I was hungry and could I have a bit of toast? At this he told me he will make sandwiches ect and to mine and my friends delight was very cheap and he brought them to the room for us and they were very nice.our experience at this hotel was a very good one and we would definitely stay again......... Thank you to you all

Room Tip: There is no fitness room or pool so ignore the rating for this
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We read reviews before booking Ardwick House Hotel so expected a reasonably basic room for my Husband and Child of 6. When booking we were promised a non-smoking room and were also told that parking was no problem near the house.

When arrived, no parking at all, so had to park at a car park (paid £9 for 24 hours). Non-smoking room given was smoked-in previously so smell smoke everywhere, on everything-even on bed linen. When asked whether it was really a non-smoking room, we were told that the room was not occupied for the previous two days and whether we wanted to go to another non-smoking hotel!! (We have already paid £45 for the night and it was late, so no way we would have found another place with a little boy, so had to stay). Even air freshener that we bought and sprayed did not help. There is one window to the room, cannot be opened but the top part is opened to see the sky!

A proper prison experience if keen on having one, and very claustrophobic. No room in the room to move around, there were one double bed just enough for two and one single bed for our son. No bath towels, but two small towels not enough to wipe yourself. We were asked whether we would like to have bath towels and we said yes, and we were told that the towels would be kept in the room later on, but we never got the towels! The room is also consisted of a cracked sink, broken kettle with couple of cups and tea bags with some mini tea-that is the ‘tea making facility’! There was a TV up above the sky (near the roof!!) so you’d never watch TV comfortably on that! And a rocking wardrobe.

Communal showers- a joke, because it was so high and old fashioned and also dirty. You simply cannot have a body wash without wetting your hair; you got to have a head shower! Temperature was so erratic and controller is half broken. There are collection of shower Gels though for the guests to use. (I suspect that they have been left behind by other guests!).

Communal toilets-2 toilets for the floor, one was not flushed when I tried to use it. I tried to flush it away but could not do so because it was broken, hence there was only one toilet for the whole floor with one bathroom.

Keys-We were given a key to the front door and to the room and said that we can come and go at any time, but the front door key did not work when we were back after going to the beach so a guest had to let us in. Luckily it was not too late and the key was replaced.

Breakfast with fruits and cereal- Fruits may have been there for months as they did not look edible, I never saw a guest eating a fruit. It was ‘English’ breakfast, not ‘Full English’, there was no ‘full’ in it! You get a ½ piece of fried bread and few more ½ pieces of toasted bread, no option whether you want White or Brown bread. You also get one Sausage, one Egg, one piece of Bacon, either Beans or Tomato and a small (very small, that is) glass of Orange juice, ample milk for your tea and a tea full of tea pot. There were Marmalade jam as well if you would like to use. Breakfast was cooked well and Steve was nice and helpful.

Have to say the location was good, walking distance to lots of places.

Sense of relief we felt when we were out of that place next day morning was unimaginable. Sadly this is the worst B & B that we have ever stayed in our lives and I am so surprised that it had got 3 stars and one can only wonder how bad the other places are!

Room Tip: Avoid the place all together!!!
4  Thank Araliya13
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Me and my family came from Rhyl and when we got to Blackpool someone told us about The Ardwick Hotel. It was very cheap. We was very happy with the price. The food is amazing, friendly staff, cool rooms with tea and coffee, near the city centre, Great attractions near by such as Madame Tussauds, Sealife centre, Many Arcades and many more amazing attractions near by. If you didn't know which hotel to go to then why not choose The Ardwick House Hotel.

Jackie and Don

Room Tip: All the rooms are very quiet and all of the rooms are very nice
1  Thank Kirsty B