“A very warm welcome in a very convenient location!”
Review of Alumhurst Hotel

Alumhurst Hotel
Ranked #45 of 69 Hotels in Blackpool
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“A very warm welcome in a very convenient location!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Before I write my review of this particular hotel, I would first like to give a few personal perspectives on Blackpool itself. (Apologies to those who already know and love Blackpool!)

The town of Blackpool has many faces:

It has a large, jolly (noisy), recently refurbished seafront with accommodations of varying quality, guests, styles, sizes, conditions and prices.

The seafront extends to the extreme south or north and thus many of the hotels in these more distant locations can be a very long way from the action - (that are the reasons most people visit Blackpool - for amusements, shops, night life etc) resulting in the need to drive, or catch a bus, tram or taxi everywhere - all a drain on the holiday budget - but good for peace and quiet.

The Imperial and the Hilton, for example, are a long way to the north and in a more quiet location, but even here, at least 50% of the guests will have to settle for a room at the back overlooking roof tops.

Behind the central seafront area, (near the excellent Tower and Hounds Hill shopping area), lies the backbone of accommodation for many visitors to Blackpool. The hundreds of small hotels, guest houses and B&B's, for the most part, are converted from original houses in terraced rows, all with different sized rooms - not necessarily originally intended to accommodate guests. Most of them are only a short stroll from the shops and public entertainments.

All of the above factors result in several drawbacks that have no easy solution for small hotel owners:

- not every room will have a nice view
- not every guest can have a front room
- not every room will be quiet
- not every room will be the same size
- not every room will have the same light quality
- most of the back or side rooms will overlook back lanes
- front facing rooms will risk some noise from passing fellow holiday makers

For Fawlty Towers fans, I am reminded of the complaint about the view from a guest's room, to which Basil explains that as the view was of Torquay, and being a hotel in Torquay, you couldn't really expect to see the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!

But I digress! I carefully researched the prices for hotels in the Blackpool area for the half term weekend - and discovered that the larger chain owned hotels were charging upwards of £100.00 per room per night. Even the Premier Inns and Travel Lodges were charging over £70.00 per night - this did not include breakfast and also charging extra for parking!

Location and Accommodation at the Alumhurst ...

I wanted central accommodation - where I could walk to the shops, amusements and theatres. I wanted to be able to park my car for free - and leave it there for the whole duration of my stay. The Alumhurst ticked all these boxes. Parking is limited, and allocated on a first book basis, however, Pat and Steve are very helpful in directing to nearby car parks with reasonable prices. Parking is always a problem in urban areas so not an unexpected issue.

Not being as slim as I was once - I was willing to pay extra for the benefit of having a King sized bed, and so opted for one of the premier rooms at the Alumhurst which I based solely on bed size. I was allocated Room 14, on the front, overlooking Charnley Road. This was a lovely spacious room, wonderful comfortable bed with nice crisp white bed linen which was changed regularly.

It was light and airy, nicely decorated, clean and well lit - with a great choice multi-channel TV/DVD player. Yes, it had periods of noise in the late evening, when people were walking past, but hey, this is central Blackpool, and they were isolated incidents. I prefer this to staying further out and needing transport everywhere!

Bathroom was small, but fully functional and modern. The walk in shower was easy to use, with plenty of constantly hot water as required.

My mother was also allocated a premier room with a king sized bed, at the back of the house, and although this was a smaller, darker room, she never heard any noise whatsoever and slept undisturbed for ten nights straight!

My sister was allocated a standard family room at the back and said it was perfectly nice - being very clean and well maintained with lovely comfortable beds and quality TV.

My daughter was allocated a standard double at the back and said that they had really liked the room and especially liked the comfortable bed and reported to having really great sleeps!

None of us were troubled by noises from other bedroom occupants, except during morning showers and people going down to breakfast - all normal activity.

Food at the Alumhurst ...

The food was really good. Breakfasts are fantastic! Any combination of any breakfast option was possible and there was plenty of it. Dinners were really good too - all freshly cooked by the chef. My only disappointment was that these weren't available every day.

Staff at the Alumhurst ...

We were looked after so well by the two young ladies employed to serve us at breakfast and dinner. Nothing was too much trouble and they worked really hard the whole time we were there, also ensuring our rooms were serviced each day. We were all really impressed with the attitude and hard work of these girls and would thank them for making our stay so great.

Owners of the Alumhurst ...

From the very first moment, I warmed to Pat. My very first visit to the Alumhurst - yet I was welcomed like an old friend. Nothing was too much trouble. Steve parked my car for me (one less thing to worry about!) and was a charming host to my husband David in the friendly down stairs bar. Pat was a big hit with my whole family and she spoke to me every day to ensure that all was well and to my satisfaction - and was kindness itself, especially with my elderly mother. Pat was also wonderful with my daughter and boyfriend and many laughs were exchanged. We stayed for ten days, and could have stayed longer.

Having read some (very few) negative reviews, I do understand that everyone has different expectations and that of course this review is my very own personal experience (and that of my family) but I feel sure that any issues could be cleared up directly with Pat at the time, to give her a chance to do something about it, if it is in her power to do so. There was a brief minor disturbance on one evening, as people came back late into the hotel and were chatting on their way to bed past my room, but this was a one off and quite outside the control of any hotel owner.

I would say that if you require solitude and silence, consider staying further out, away from Central altogether, but for me, the convenience of the location more than makes up for a little disturbance now and then.

I would also add that costs are rising for everyone, particularly small businesses. The price of staff wages, food and energy costs are bound to affect hotel prices too.

In conclusion, I had an excellent room, for which I was willing and able to pay a little more. My whole family were pleased with their respective rooms and we all had a really pleasant stay, with excellent food, looked after by efficient and caring staff and hosts - in a warm, clean, family run hotel, in a central location, within 5 minute walking distance of all that we wanted to do. I could not have asked for more.

Room Tip: Premier Room 14 is a very nice room, being on the first floor, facing front, light and airy. Back an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Julie, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you, your mother and the other members of your family who came to Blackpool. Your well thought out comments and excellent review warmed our hearts, coming in the midst of one or two reviews in which we seem to have uset some folk.
Your understanding of Blackpool, the hotels and the area is first class and can't be faulted.
Can't wait to see you all again sometime.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to explain it so much better than I could.
Pat & Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
birmingham
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having returned too the alumhurst since its upgrading of many rooms, we found the standard of our visit as good as ever it as been, with good hosts, good rooms, and good food, it's a pleasure too return every year , we recommended the alumhurst too friends and they thoroughly enjoyed there stay ,we look forward too returning again soon jan and roger Birmingham.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It was kind of you to take the trouble to write.
We both look forward to your visits, t's always a pleasure to see you.
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Another smashing stay..Second time to Blackpool and so pleased we decided to go back to The Alumhurst...A warm welcome from the lovely couple Pat and Steve. My partner and I loved our funky and very trendy room! Breakfast was delicious and staff very friendly. We shall definitely visit again next year. Thank you all..Love Mandy and Kevin From Newark x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thanks Mandy, it was great to see you again with your lovely new boyfriend. Can't wait for you to get up here again.
Keep busy and let me know how you are getting on.
blackpool
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have to write this as I have stayed at the Alumhurst a number of times and could not believe what some people write, the hotel is very clean and the food is good, Pat & Steve are very friendly and will help with all your needs, not that I need much help as I always stay at this hotel when I come to Blackpool, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Book a retro room very good
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. It was extremely kind of you to post this and I have to agree with you, it is difficult to know what some people want from a hotel. Not sure that they ever stop to think of the damage they can cause with some of the remarks they make.
As evr we will be looking forward to your next visit.
Thanks again
Northamptonshire
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our Blackpool holiday is something that we look forward to every year and look forward to seeing Pat and Steve, they run a lovely well maintained hotel,it is clean,good home cooked food which you cant fault. They have done a lot of work on the hotel bringing it up to date, ok so the bedrooms are a bit on the small side, but the are basic, clean and comfortable. The bar is in the basement which I call the cosy bar, you can get a good selection of drinks,a selection of games and of course there`s the juke box, what more do you want from a holiday in Blackpool, good digs , pleasent and very helpful landlady, I would certainly reconmend the Alumhurst acting on the 23 or more years Ive going there, I would`nt want to go any where else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
As ever it was great to see you all a couple of weeks ago. We always enjoy your visits and thank you so much for the very nice things you've said about us.
Looking forward to your next visit already.
Many thanks
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

For a friendly, homely, comfortable stay, The Alumhurst gives it all. It doesn't pretend to be the Savoy or the Imperial. The food is good fresh home cooked food,with yummy puddings at dinner time, the bedrooms and ensuite shower rooms are spotless with beautiful white bedding and towels. Comfy beds and proper pillows, which can be a rarity in the hotel and guest house trade. The bar is run by mine host Steve who does a brill job.
All in all an ideal place to stay , its the place we always choose when visiting Blackpool.
Jan T.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Janice T
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for the very nice things you said about us. Contented guests are what we like most.
It's coming to the end of our season now and we are both looking forward to a rest.
Then it's on with renovating the top floor to keep us upto date.
Thanks again
Motherwell
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have just paid my first visit to this hotel. It has two stars but the service is five star. Pat and Steve are the friendest people you could ever wish to me. The food is excellent and the bedrooms are spotless. I have already recommended this hotel to someone and I will be returning as often as I can.
Andy