“You cant go wrong visit the Alumhurst.”
Review of Alumhurst Hotel

Alumhurst Hotel
Ranked #45 of 69 Hotels in Blackpool
Northamptonshire
“You cant go wrong visit the Alumhurst.”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our Blackpool holiday is something that we look forward to every year and look forward to seeing Pat and Steve, they run a lovely well maintained hotel,it is clean,good home cooked food which you cant fault. They have done a lot of work on the hotel bringing it up to date, ok so the bedrooms are a bit on the small side, but the are basic, clean and comfortable. The bar is in the basement which I call the cosy bar, you can get a good selection of drinks,a selection of games and of course there`s the juke box, what more do you want from a holiday in Blackpool, good digs , pleasent and very helpful landlady, I would certainly reconmend the Alumhurst acting on the 23 or more years Ive going there, I would`nt want to go any where else.

alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
As ever it was great to see you all a couple of weeks ago. We always enjoy your visits and thank you so much for the very nice things you've said about us.
Looking forward to your next visit already.
Many thanks
Pat & Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

For a friendly, homely, comfortable stay, The Alumhurst gives it all. It doesn't pretend to be the Savoy or the Imperial. The food is good fresh home cooked food,with yummy puddings at dinner time, the bedrooms and ensuite shower rooms are spotless with beautiful white bedding and towels. Comfy beds and proper pillows, which can be a rarity in the hotel and guest house trade. The bar is run by mine host Steve who does a brill job.
All in all an ideal place to stay , its the place we always choose when visiting Blackpool.
Jan T.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Janice T
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for the very nice things you said about us. Contented guests are what we like most.
It's coming to the end of our season now and we are both looking forward to a rest.
Then it's on with renovating the top floor to keep us upto date.
Thanks again
Motherwell
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have just paid my first visit to this hotel. It has two stars but the service is five star. Pat and Steve are the friendest people you could ever wish to me. The food is excellent and the bedrooms are spotless. I have already recommended this hotel to someone and I will be returning as often as I can.
Andy
from Motherwell

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew S
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the Alumhurst recently as I came to see a show in Blackpool. I hadn't been to blackpool for many years and wanted to make a weekend of it, so searched on a number of websites for somewhere to stay.Many of the hotels were very cheap and I worried that this may mean they were of poor quality.I therefore booked the Alumhurst as it was a lot more expensive than most and appeared from the website to be of a good quality.

The room that we were given was very unlike the photographs on the website or what I expected for my money. Although clean, it was small, dark and dingy.

Upon returning to the hotel at around midnight, we were disgusted to find that due to the thin walls, we could hear everything happening in the rooms around us. This included toilets flushing, listening to people being sick and finally, but most annoying was the shouting screaming and punch-ups that we heard from midnight right up until 7:30am!!!

Oh and the breakfast wasn't much better...

Very disappointing stay, expensive and not worth it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Louise T
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Louise, further to the lengthy emails we have already exchanged this week we are disappointed you have chosen to take this route to continue complaining.
As I have already said your room is on the side of the hotel, in close proximity to the next door flats and doesn't attract a lot of daylight because of this. At this time of year, with the days getting shorter, it is necessary to use the many ceiling lights and lamps provided.
With regard to the noise, this is the centre of Blackpool and it was one of the busiest weekends of the Illuminations. There is bound to be some noise though we personally think your window was open, as it was such a warm weekend, and you were picking up the noise from the business next door. You can read through all our reviews and there are virtually no complaints about noise here. We are very careful not to book stag parties and other noisy groups into the hotel for this reason. A policy we have had in place for years now. We value our family / couples / business trade.
I also explained to you about your breakfast. If there was a problem you should have told me and I would have put it right. That is why I am there, and what I do, if it ever becomes necessary, though fortunately, it rarely is. In the best run establishments the odd mistakes can happen but after 41 years here we have mostly ironed out the problems.
We are sorry you didn't like us, or the hotel. I must repeat what I said before and I would like all guests to know this, “If you have a problem, please discuss it with us. We can’t do anything to put it right if you don’t.”
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed for one night mid October. Let's start with the good points;
*on arrival we were greeted by Pat, she was very helpful and seemed really nice, the reception and dining area seemed clean and tidy.
*The Ensuite, although small, was clean and tidy.
*The breakfast was great just what you need after a good night out!! And the waitresses were very polite and attentive.
*The location of the hotel was great right in the centre of everything.
NOW THE BAD POINTS
*The room was very small, and I mean small, which wasn't expected for the price tag of £75.00 per night
*The room smelt very strongly of damp! I know this is a very old building and there can be some issues with maintenance, but if you are renting out rooms to guests for £75.00 PER NIGHT you should make sure they are habitable. I would not have stayed in this room had I been staying for longer than 1 night . I had to wash all clothes and coats on arriving home as they all smelt strongly of damp.
* The walls are very thin and I was kept awake by another guest in another room snoring, Nice!
*Pat although very nice if you don't cross her, can be quite rude at times, She was abrupt and rude to one of the waitresses, who were both doing a great job, and then she turned on a group of lads calling them uncouth!!!!! At that point a leaky ceiling in the dining room started to drip over other guests who were not moved but pushed to one side. It was like a scene from faulty towers!!
*Only venture down to the bar area as a last resort as this too smells of damp and could ruin your outfit for the night.
It's no surprise then that we will not be staying here again, but should you be able to book one of the better rooms, which have been modernised, you may have a better experience than us.
Good Luck!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank potsy67
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We are both sorry that you felt you had to write a reveiw like this, but we do thank you for the good points you praised.
You were very late booking and got the last 2 rooms. One of which was in our smoking permitted wing, but it doesn't show this on theonline booking site you used. I did email you immediately to inform you of this, but didn't receive any confirmation until your morning of arrival. This room is somewhat small, but no different to many rooms in seaside locations. It is spotlessly clean and was fragranced because I knew a non smoker would be using it.
Your other room is a twin room, adequately sized, but built over the rear car port. It does feel cold in there at times but as last weekend was so warm and sunny we didn't put the heating on in advance of your visit as we thought it wouldn't be a problem. I don't agree that it smells damp but do think if it hasn't been sed for a few days and the windows are closed it can smell a little. Hardly enough to mean that you had the wash your clothes and coats as you stated. That was a slight exaggeration.
The problem with the young man in the dining room was that he surprised me by something so unhygienic that I spoke to him more sharply than I should to try to stop him. This was all sorted later and there were no hard feelings. After all, would you like someone to drink out of your milk jug?
With reference to the leak in the dining room, this has been a problem for some weeks now and our hotel plumber has tried many ways to clear it up. He hasn't been successful so when we close for the winter in a couple of weeks that bathroom will be ripped out and replaced if necessary to effect a cure. Not something we can do at the moment. Had you listened more closely and taken note you would have realised that I asked the people sitting there if they had finished eating, offered them more tea, coffee, toast etc... and had an interesting discussion with the young man, who moved sideways to avoid the water, as he was a builder. Plus at the time we didn't have an empty table to move him to.
Finally, your comments about our bar. Yes, it is a basement bar and 2 days before you arrived it had flooded. What you probably don't realise is that Blackpool got its name because it is built on a succession of underground freshwater streams which gather together to form the original 'black pool'. In our still room we have a sump area with a submersible pump that is running 24 hours a day and has been for the past 30 years. The pump had developed a fault, the bar flooded and we were up all night getting the carpets fit to open the bar, This was after a new pump had been incorrectly installed by an approved fitter. So if it smelt a little damp that was why. We now have a dehumidifyer running 24 hours a day to get the water completely out of the carpet underlay.
I hope this goes someway to explaining the problems you had last weekend.
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This Hotel is great and very central for all of the sights of Blackpool. We had a very warm welcome from the owners when we arrived, where Pat had reserved a parking space for us on arrival, (there is a Pay and display car park 50 yards which was ideal too) as Pat said there were new parking laws that had been enforced for the Street.
The hotel is clean and tidy, the breakfasts are great and just what you expect. The breakfast staff are really friendly and cheerful. The room we were given was very easy to find and no need for a map? We did try the bar and Steve was really cheerful and kindly said we could take our drinks up to our room...
A really great stay thank you.

1 Thank Jaggybean
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to accommodating you again sometime.
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here last weekend in a group of 4 couples, to celebrate our daughter's 30th birthday. We had stayed here before, so knew it would be good.

The Hotel is very central to all Blackpool has to offer, the front of the hotel has Tower views.

Rooms are typical size for Blackpool hotels, but are spotlessly clean, have quality linen, fluffy white towels and flat screen TVs, with the usual tea/coffee making facilities.
One of the couples in our group had one of the Retro 70s style bedrooms. What fun it was reminiscing over the Goblin teas maid, bedroom suite and 70s style decor. However the best thing in the room was the actual magazines from the decade, one was even from the year that the couple sharing the room were married. The room did have all the modern facilities as well, but the flat screen TV was cleverly hidden away.

Breakfast is served until 9.45 and has a good seletion of cereal, juice, grapefruit etc. followed by a hearty full breakfast or a mix of whatever you fancy from the menu, with extra toast if required.

The owners Pat and Steve, try hard to make everyone feel welcome. Pat allowed me to decorate the breakfast table with balloons etc.on our daughter's birthday morning and Steve keeps the resident's bar open as long as he can keep his eyes open. The basement bar is a good size and has a jukebox, pool table, darts etc. All in all another great weekend with happy memories.

Mary, Livingston

alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. Very grateful to you and delighted you all enjoyed your weekend here. It was great to meet your family this time.
Look forward to seeing you all again sometime.