“oh harry harry harry”

May-Dene Private Hotel
Ranked #26 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Blackpool
Reviewed August 16, 2013

To anyone who wants a spacious room a good traditional cooked English breakfast and extremely central digs for all the attractions then stay here. really nice family kind and very accommodating. But watch out for there son harry he is a Thrill seeker you cant stop him going on the big rides. we were begging for mercy after the 3rd time of going on the infusion ride. thanks for the great stay. Regards Mark and Harrison.
PS. like most things in life nobodies perfect and we all make mistakes so if you stay here and you are not happy with something don't wait to the end of your stay to mention it how can it be put right then. Enjoy

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for May-Dene Private Hotel

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night. There were five of us, two adults and three kids (ages 12, 10 & 6), so we also had the 5 person room, which was definitely big enough for us. We arrived at 10:00am and although our room wasn't ready (which we wouldn't expect at that time) he still gave us our room keys and booked us in so that we didn't have to do it all again later. It is very close to the Pleasure Beach, which was good, as it was the main reason we came. The beds were very comfortable and after a long day at the Pleasure Beach, we all had a very good, quiet and peaceful night's sleep.

Breakfast the next morning was lovely and my little 6 year old boy has autism, so was running all around the place, unable to keep still, as usual. I'm very used to other places where I have had dirty looks because of my son running around, but that was not the case here. The staff were smiling at my son and very nice to him and didn't once complain about him, which is always a huge relief. Their young sons were helping bring out the breakfast and they (with their friends) were actually playing with my son, which was so lovely.

All round, very happy with this place and would definitely go back with the kids! Thank you. xx

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 1night in the same room as the group booking below. As a family of 5 and staying in other bnbs in Blackpool I can honestly say this is the most spacious room we have ever stayed in with a comfy double bed a bunk bed amd pull out bed which they made up ready for our return from our evening out. The bathroom is on the small size but plenty of room for 1 person to get ready in there and a normal sized shower. This is an ideal place for families and we had best nights sleep weve ever had in Blackpool were we're usually kept awake with people who have been partying. So I can understand the proprietor not wantin this ruined by group booking and they obviously take pride in this policy which in my eyes is a good thing for families who find it hard to find a nice quiet hotel that doesn't cost the earth with an honest friendly service! Wedidnt book beforehand and they let us view the room before we decided. They also have their own car park at the rear. I cant comment on the breakfast as we didnt book it.
Will definitely go back if they'll have us.
Thanks for making our stay nice and quiet.
Also 1 last point I assumed check out was 11.00 am when infact it was 10am and he had to knock the door to let us know but didn't do this until he probably had no choice as they need to clean room for next guests. I felt so embarrasse but he was very good about it and didnt make a big deal over it!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank nickyjan
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Only need to stay the one night and when we arrived service was ok. The woman was friendly, though I can't name her as she never told us. The room was ok but to small to fit five people. The on-suite was so small you could barely turn around. Apart from this the stay was ok however leaving the hotel was when the experience was ruined.

When we gave the keys back the man who took them started complaining about how the bed and breakfast doesn't normally allow groups of girls. I explained that I had rang hotels.com and how they had spoken to someone at may-dene and checked that it was ok for us to stay there, this he deny ever happening which means he called me a liar. He said that if he had been there the night before he would of sent us away (I'm hoping that I would of received my money back in cash there and then but by the look of him I doubt it) as he followed us out (not lead, followed) he continued to rant even going as far as to read out a sign by the door to us using his finger to underline it. He all so said that a nineteen year old counts as a child which is of course nonsense.

The night before nothing was mentioned to us about their policy and we never received complaints by the staff or other guests so I'm not really sure why he felt the need to explain how unhappy he was or that he was going to complain to the website. This level of unprofessionalism is not something I'm use to receiving.

Perhaps, you may think, I am being snobby but I think business's should be professional and treat there guests with respect.

Due to this I will not be returning, with is a shame as the overnight stay is to become an annual thing, nor will I be recommending the hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Meganburkhill
david b, Owner at May-Dene Private Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

first of all I wish to point out that 5 girls is a same sex group, this is not the sort of bookings we take, second, this was booked as 3adults and 2 children, it was 5 girls all of adult age pulling a fast one. they said they had spoken to hotels.com and hotels.com rang and spoke to us, hotels.com DO NOT RING ANY HOTEL, they over rode our system to book 3 adults then put the other 2 girls who were supposed to be 14 in as children, if hotels.com had phoned us we would have asked them to find other accommodation. its our policy that we DO NOT TAKE GROUP BOOKINGS, in the morning the girls stated they would like to book for next year I clearly pointed out and showed them our policy which is on display in our hallway, I was not being rude, I made it clear that it was not there fault but there was no need to call me a liar as no phone calls had been received. the member of staff the are referring to is my wife and she also told them that we do not take group bookings and rang me as I was away on business and she was promised by these 5 ADULTS that there would be no trouble, so as it was late we allowed them to stay,
as for unprofessionalism that is not what I am, I am straight to the point and run 2 very successful businesses, but what would a 19 year old girl know,
I hope this clears this matter up as I would not have taken your booking for next year, we are a hotel for FAMILIES AND COUPLES NOT A GROUP MOF GIRLS WHO WANT TO LEAVE MESSAGES ON HERE

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just returned from the mey dene after a 2 night stay with our 4 month old baby and 4 yr old son to blackpool and cannot say a bad word about the hotel. Owners were very friendly and would always ask to ensure everything was ok and did we need anything. The location is ideal for the pleasure beach and beach is a stones throw away. The rooms were immaculately clean,beds extremely comfortable. We were also provided with a travel cot which was requested at last minute (mrs forgot to pack ours in the car!!) and that was in the room when we arrived. My son loved the pine bunkbeds and flat screen tv so he didn't miss out on his beloved ceebeebies!!all in all our first family trip to blackpool was extremely enjoyable and would like to say a big thank you to the mey dene and its owners ps I will definitely be ordering breakfast next time it smelt beautiful!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank grimsby_town_fc
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went as a last minute trip, and thankfully found this little gem within 5 minutes. There was me, hubby two 9 year olds and 1 year old twins. The room was clean, tidy beds were made up lovely. The bathroom was clean and modern. The owners were super friendly and welcoming. The price was fantastic for the prime location and the room. We didn't use the bar or lounge, but there looked like lots to.entertain the kids with on a rough.day.We will definitely be returning. Thanks very much.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank neaven
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Leann and Dave, made us welcome, home from home, our room was nice and clean, bathroom was spotless. Breakfast lovely. Would stay there again when we are next in Blackpool. 17th May to 20th May.......

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple