“Very Enjoyable” 4 of 5 bubbles

106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“Very Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just came back from a break in Blackpool, and I must say I thought the lights very good this year. We didnt encounter much traffic, although we didnt venture out until 9pm, so missed the mad rush. From Beaverbrooks upto Bispham all the lights were sparkling, I must say even at my age I was quite mesmerized!! Appartantly there are going to be some new lights going all the way across to the sea at some point. All in all a very enjoyable experience and free aswell.

• Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Start from the Tower End NOT STARGATE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My nan wanted to see the lights so we decieded to take her on Saturday night.... what a nightmare!

After a loverly meal in Lytham St Annes we set off down and joined the que at 6.50pm, by 8.15pm we still wasnt at the "donation" point and the only reason we had moved 100 yards or so was due to all the cars giving up and leaving the que!

Eventually we did the same and decided to try our luck and drove down the back streets and came out just before the Tower and made our way back towards the Pleasure Beech, at least she got to see 3 miles of lights! The car we was behind still hadnt got past the Pleasure Beech in the time it has taken us to drive half way down the back streets.

The organisers need to so something about the amount of cars trying to jump the que by pulling out from side streets and blocking the road for cars comming the other way and giving people who have sat for nearly 2 hrs no other option but to let them in!

Will i be back in a hurry... NO!

Dereham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Dont go by coach or car”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Went on a long weekend trip from Norfolk, last time i stayed in Blacpool, i stayed at the Imperial Hotel, with all Labour MP,S at the Labour party conference, can you believe !!
After the coach dropped us off at about 11 am, thought i would take my wife to pleasure beach for a ride on " The big one roller coaster" til was told it would cost £6 each to enter pbeach then £4 each to go on it, we said ,we dont think so. Headed for the Tower next, glad we had money off vouchers because was really exspensive again, but did enjoy the views etc.
Found about day tickets on trams ( £4.50 all day ) bit more like value, & enjoyed many tram trips!
Back to coach at 6,15 to be at front of coach queue, & we wernt far off, we were second! thought to my self we could be a long the front & seen lights by 8! no, was gone 10-30, 4 hrs on coach, we were all shattered & the lights started to mean nothing, we wanted our beds.
Is it all down to bad planning or what?

2 Thank pleasecabs
Southport, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 220 helpful votes
“Was that it?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had been to see the lights once before on a school trip in 1979 and remember how fancy and exciting the lights were.
Not so now! All quite repetative and uninspiring, especially as the drive down took a painful 2 1/2 hours!!
We did however, see a drunken fight and lots alcohol induced staggering and many, many chavs!
Certainly did not see anything like the train depicted in the picture attached to the review title!

Colchester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I used to go to the illuminations yearly with my family when I was a child. I was really looking forward to going as I hadn't been for many years and I was back in Lancashire for a family get together. We arrived at the illuminations on a Saturday night, it was very busy, full of drunks, loud and incredibly intimidating. The lights were a great disappointment....not enough variety and the tableaus almost non existent but still had the Hickory Dickory Dock one from my child years! I am sad to say that I would not repeat the visit. I wouldn't say avoid at all costs but go mid week and don't expect anything great!