“Just awful - Derek from Kilmarnock” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trades Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Trades Hotel
Ranked #85 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Blackpool
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Just awful - Derek from Kilmarnock”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was a disaster from the start. I should have known when I phoned to book it. Previously when you phoned to reserve a room, you had to pay a deposit because of the popularity of the place. This time we didn't. My instinct was to find that strange, so much so that I phoned up twice again to confirm it. Both times the hotel said 'no its fine. No deposit required' so we went with it.

When we arrived I produced my credit card but was told there was no other way to pay but by cash. The credit card machine was not so much broken as just a plastic holder so we had to go find a cash point to withdraw £200. We took charge of both rooms late at night so we didn't get a chance to find out much until the following day. Peter, my friend who has a disability, could not work his way round the room and became upset. I said he could use mine which was some consolation.

On the first morning, I jumped the shower in the en suite room. The towel was a hand towel that might have started off as white but it certainly did not end like that. After half an hour, the shower was still cold irrespective whether the knob swung to the left or right so I ended up using the communal shower which was nice and warm so that was a bonus. Donna at breakfast was a star and made the experience bearable. Apart from that, and the bar, it continued to be awful. The carpets were filthy all through the hotel. The paintwork was stained yellow indicating how long it had been there.

In my own room the telly didnt work and didn't have a remote. The furniture was cheap, broken, the bed was squeaky, the quilt so thin with burn marks on it and blood that I found on the final morning. The bin wasn't changed once in four days, the towels weren't changed in four days, the blinds didnt work so you had to put the blind down manually and wind it up the same. They had my friend only booked in for one night whereas I was booked in for three despite paying £200. The eventually managed to fix it.

Wifi was so weak that you could only use it properly at the bar. There were holes on the walls as if they had been punched and I never saw a cleaner once.

This hotel should be listed as the worst possible hotel within the gay community. It is being traded on years of goodwill but that goodwill is running out fast. Unless you live in conditions like this in your own home you will not enjoy staying here so please avoid it as much as possible

We will never be back
Derek and George from Kilmarnock

Room Tip: If you must stay here get a room near the ground floor if you want to use wifi. Demand that they cha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank disappointedscot

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

this hotel should be shut down it is disgusting rooms are filthy after all what goes on it is not surprising my advice is lock your door at night as you might have company my advice is give this place a miss there is better hotels to stay at

Room Tip: avoid this place like the plague
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank alan w

Travelers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

barnsley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I found it very hard to give this dump one star. I am well aware of what this place is renowned for and was part of the reason of why I mistakenly recommend to the group of us that stayed here. Any person that gives this place any positive reviews with the exception of the staff and the breakfast are disillusioned and I would be worried about them. The double room was a misrepresentation, the rotten carpet was torn to shreds, it was hard to tell the colour or indeed if it was carpet. The sheets we're filthy the bed wasn't comfortable. I wouldn't describe the outside toilet I had the displeasure of witnessing. No remote control. Bin was overflowing when we checked in. Brown stains covered the reception sofa. I never felt clean the whole time I was in the filthy place. I wouldn't be paid to stop here again AVOID AT ANY COST. The experience is no excuse for the cleanliness. How anyone would stay or recommend this place scares me as to who I would be having any fun with. Only way this is worthy of any recommendation is the friendly guy who checked us in and the delight of the girl who served us a smashing breakfast. It will haunt me for life the rest of the experience that is Trades. No thank you

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank tykeinire
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Hotel was a like maze, bedrooms, stairs, fire doors, corridors, it takes a while for you to find your bedroom and remember where it is. The room was only cleaned once on arrival, the bed was soft not good for back sufferers, the sheets and pillow cases where clean. The heating was on 24 hours a day the room was always warm in the winter. It does play up a bit with loud noises coming from the plumbing, I turned the radiator off and it settled down. Some of the staff did not seem to be happy in their job with long faces. My bedroom door was locked, I was trying to sleep, constantly the door was trying to be pushed opened by someone 7 times from 4:30am to 5:30. It was a nightmare to sleep. This Hotel is only suitable for people up all night and sleep all day. The Xmas day Breakfast, Dinner cooked by Neil,s Mother was excellent. Neil tried to make xmas special for everyone and succeded. Lots of nice people to converse with. A medal to the boy who talks constantly in the yard all night keeping you awake.

Room Tip: I do not know
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Richard M
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Unfriendly reception staff with no social skills whatsoever, was amazed to find the same worn out stinking and badly stained carpets throughout the hotel from my last visit 10 years ago! wasnt expecting 5 stars but basic cleanliness and a friendly welcome isnt too much to ask for!
All the rooms need a complete refurbishment.
Fancy a weekend break? spend some pennies and go to London or Brighton, Blackpool has very deffinately had its day long ago...:(

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank richt t
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Trades is an institution for 25 years I have gone there on and off and it's certainly unique in what it offers in Blackpool! Rooms are ok but very basic... Maintenance could be better ... Staff are excellent... Bar prices good... Breakfasts fantastic but if you're here to rest up and get a good nights sleep then forget it;)

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
11 Thank highlandreturn
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

location is good enjoyed the breakfast , nice to have a late bar at this gay venue the staff were fantastic with very well manners and enjoyed the company of the other guests , who were from young adults to retired gentalman if your gay and on a budget this is the place to stay , love the corridor walks aswell.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends