“Average hotel could do with a good clean!” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Marsden Hotel
Ranked #220 of 913 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Average hotel could do with a good clean!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are three good things about the hotel. Nbr one free overnight parking. Nbr two the breakfast and nbr three steve and his partner a lovely couple. But unfortunately it really does need a good clean throughout a lick of paint and new bathroom suites in the rooms. U get what you pay for!!!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

great south location near sea front. ideal for pleasure beach, sandcastle south pier. the hotel was very nice and breakfast was great too. evening bar was open on both nights of our stay and staff were very friendly. only thing wrong was the en suite smelt damp and the room could have done with a better preparation as there was a lot of long term dust on the curtain and the edges of the carpet in the room. otherwise a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I were planning a trip to Blackpool. We wanted to stay somewhere that was cheap and near to the Prominade and Pleasure Beach and The Marsden offers just that. The Bed and Breakfast  is situated on the main rows of terraced B&Bs just a few streets away from the Prom & the Entrance to the Pleasure Beach itself. It was very cheap priced at just £34 for a one nights stay in a  Double room  which included breakfast.

Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by Steve, the owner, who showed us into the carpark just down the side of the building. Is was quite small & compact, but we felt the car was safe there as it was away from the road and behind a locked gate at night.

The B&B has a very warm feeling upon entering. On the left is a very cosy living room which houses a small bar with a nice selection of drinks, couple of draft beers wines & spirits aswell as soft drinks & sweets & snacks. Very homely feeling.

Steve got us the keys and carried one of our cases up a couple of flights of steep stairs. We were shown to our room, number 6, and were told if we needed anything just to let him know. First impressions were really nice and we were looking forward to our stay.

Room 6 is quite small with just enough room for a double bed, 2 bedside tables, a single wardrobe & a 15" TV mounted on the wall.  We weren't expecting anything massive as it is a B&B after all.. There were basic tea & coffee making facilities, but when I went to make a cup of tea the kettle had old water inside, and was in need of a good clean. The filter was filthy aswell and needed rinsing. Also, Typhoo teabags possibly make the worst cups of tea, which is dissappointing for the avid Tea drinker.

The bedsheets & pillowcases were nice and fresh, however the quilt cover was a bit worn and bobbley. Slightly dusty around the edges of the carpet  and behind the bed looked like it had been neglected for a while.

A door at the end of the bed  opened to reveal a tiny en-suite with a victorian style toilet, sink and shower. There was just enough room for me to turn round and no room whatsoever to get undressed. Larger humans would find it a bit of a struggle to get use the facilities comfortably.  Also - The extractor fan was very dusty indeed and made an awful rattling noise when the light was switched on, and carried in making noise for a long while after we turned the light back off.

When we bedded down for the night,  both me and my partner were horrified to find that the matress was so springy to the point that the springs were almost protruding through it! Very uncomfortable. Lying on my back the springs were poking in my spine. So I turned on my side and got prodded in the ribs. On my front - poked in the nipple. It was an absolute nightmare no matter what position.  I was very dissappointed I wasn't going to have a nights sleep.  And it was a shame because the room was nice and dark and it was surprisingly silent all around.

So after an uncomfortable nights sleep, we got up for Breakfast at 9am.

Again very cosy dining room, there was a nice selection of cereals and orange juice available. The condiments were very neatly set out on the table. Both myself and my partner ordered a full english breakfast and we thought it was very nice. Sausage bacon and egg was cooked perfectly and the toast came on a rack fresh and hot. Selection of Jams or butter. We enjoyed breakfast and felt we were looked after well.

Steve very kindly let us keep our car parked whilst me and my partner went out for the day.

Overall our stay in Blackpool was pleasant. But, In my opinion being comfortable in bed is the utmost important part of any business that offers accomondation. and if The Marsden touched up on a couple of things like cleanliness and a new matress & cover then I think it would benefit a lot as it almost fits the bill perfectly if you are looking for a short , cheap stay. If the minor blips were rectified then I would definitely reccomend this B&B and would consider re-visiting if we were to return.

Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived at The Marsden around 6.30pm on 19/10/12, it is fairly easy to find and in a fantastic location just a couple of streets from the Pleasure Beach. Perfect for us, and one of the reasons we decided to go with this particular B&B.

We arrived and parked up on the road outside, and my partner called the hotel to let them know we were there.
Steve came outside straight away and even moved his car for us which was great. The car park is fairly small, but behind a locked gate and off-road, so we felt it was safe there.

When we got inside, Steve got the key and showed us to our room (6) which was up a couple of flights of stairs.
Once inside the room, he told us breakfast was at 9am and just to ask if there was anything we needed. We weren't told what time check out was, so I had to check the website through my phone (although we did forget to ask, which is partly our mistake).

Unfortunately, the room was really very small. Two large people would have a problem on their hands! The en-suite is equally small, when closing the door when in the bathroom, my back was against the basin.
In the end, we had to just leave the door open when using the en-suite for some extra space. There isn't enough room to get dry and dress in there after a shower. It would be tricky if the person you were staying with wasn't your partner (although it is a double room).

I do feel the room could benefit from a thorough clean. As another reviewer mentioned, it is slightly dusty around the skirting boards and carpet edges, and behind the bed was also looking slightly neglected.

When it came to bed time, we were disappointed to find a horribly uncomfortable mattress with protruding springs. As a result, we didn't sleep very well at all, which was unfortunate as you could hear a pin drop in the moments I was awake during the night. I was expecting to hear noise from outside but it was silent which was great. Just a real shame about the bad mattress.

Hot water is plentiful and comes in fast, the shower and other en-suite fixtures and fittings are fairly old (and could do with updating) but do the trick. Pressure and heat were adequate and consistent when we were using the water for showering.

Breakfast was great, a full English with toast, branded cereals, choice of tea or coffee and a jug of orange juice. It was served quickly and piping hot, all great quality ingredients and very well cooked, a great start to our day.

Steve and Karen were really helpful and great hosts, and I feel with some attention to detail and minor improvements around updating and cleaning, The Marsden would be an excellent place to stay.

We asked Steve if we could leave the car with them while we visited the Pleasure Beach and this was no problem as long as we left the keys so he could move the car if needed. This was a bonus and really appreciated as he didn't have to go the trouble, but did. Great service!

We paid £34 for a one night stay with breakfast which we felt was a good price. I would probably go back only if they had new mattresses and if we were allocated a bigger room.

With thanks to Steve and Karen for a friendly welcome and great hospitality!

Room Tip: Book early and try to request a bigger room if you have a choice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
YORKSHIRE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great start, Steve made sure we got a parking space right outside, despite me saying our car wouldn't fit in the car when it would..I'm too fussy.. But he was lovely and very helpful!

We had a fantastic welcome and the room was great, my only gripe is the dust at the edges of the carpet, but this really didn't annoy us as we only slept and showered in the in room.... It really is a minor thing...

Our hosts gave us some brilliant info about the trams and the local area, we found everyone in Blackpool from the guest house to the tram staff very very efficient, helpful and friendly, Blackpool really has had an amazing transformation!!

On a final note the breakfast was one of the best ever! Both myself and my husband loved it, choice of branded cereal and a full, fantastic, great quality English breakfast! Our 8 yr old loved his freshly cooked thick bacon sandwich and the big jug of fresh orange juice, a really brilliant start to the day and a great end to our little trip, thank you and we will definitely use you again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Great location. Near to south pier just 1 street back from promenade. Waiting on the door when we arrived. Car parking to rear of B&B. taken straight to room. All clean, but smelt of breakfast grease all up the stairs. Room clean and tidy. Little small. Struggled in the morning showering and getting ready. Breakfast was lovely and pleasant service. Only real issue was the mattress, spring pinging in my back every time I moved in the night. That a side would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
Evesham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Just returned from a 2 day, 1 night stay at the Marsden. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and friendly by Karen, really made us feel welcome! We were shown to our room which was lovely, it was warm, clean and cosy, en-suite bathroom too was exactly what we needed it for, and again, it was clean. The weather wasn't too good while we were out and about at night so returned back to the hotel quite early for us, it was lovely just to relax in our room and watch TV, we decided to go downstairs and have a drink in the bar, which we noticed was open when we came back but found it had closed when we went back down, disappointing as we would have liked a drink and a chinwag, but it was probably getting on a bit. Got up and had a lovely breakfast, set us up for the day.Really enjoyed it! When it was time to go Steve even fetched our car from the secure parking to the rear of the hotel and brought it round the front for us, thought this was a lovely touch!
Couldn't believe the bad reviews I have read on here, I found the place was warm, welcoming and very clean, as for the comment about not having a glass in the bathroom to brush your teeth, we stayed at the Grand Metropole last year and we had a plastic beaker in a plastic bag! If you're that bothered surely you could have used a mug they provided with the tea making facilities in your room and rinsed it out after you in the sink provided?!
Very close to all amenities, tram stops, bus stops etc but not too far to walk the Golden Mile if you feel up to it - all in all a fantastic place run by lovely people, would definitely come back here!

Room Tip: We had room 2 at the back on 1st floor, very quite, no street noises heard at all
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple