“lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Truffles - CLOSED

Truffles
Cuisines: British, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
kent united kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

older style restaurant nice friendly staff couldnt be helpful enough ... food is excellent good portion sizes meals reasonably priced too .. drinks well priced x

Visited July 2013

London, United Kingdom
“What A Rip Off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

A group of 6 of us decided to go for a meal at Truffles after hearing it was worth a visit. Now after visiting the place and eating there I can sincerely say that it had to be the worse mistake we have ever made while being in Blackpool.

We rather liked the "bad" Abigail's Party decor in Truffles. The dark lighting was a bit of a put off but I think there is method in the proprietors madness as we couldn't see too well what we were eating..

Four of my friends opted for the T Bone Steak cooked to their own specifications and with a sauce of their choice. At £19.50 per person this was far from cheap but they were all looking forward to it.
My other friend opted for the equally pricey fish and chips.
Being a vegetarian I asked what options they did to cater for me. The waitress disappeared and came back with a vegetarian menu. I was rather impressed by that. There were few options and what they did have was unbelievably unimaginative and really was not well thought out. I decided on either the Southern Buttery or the Salad. The Southern Buttery consisted of Jacket potato, corn on the cob, onion rings and garlic bread!! Heart Attack on a plate!! All for the hideous over price of £10. The Salad that I opted for was £9 and consisted of salad, chips, cheese and egg mayo! The healthy option!! I decided against the eye watering £16.50 Mushroom Stroganoff on a bed of plain boiled rice.

When the food arrived 3 of the steak eaters were not happy that the steak was not cooked to their specifications. All over done. All 4 steak eaters grumbled that their was quite a bit of gristle. One steak eater actually left most of her steak as it was too gristly. Another one stated that her peppercorn sauce had strong hint of curry taste. We all laughed but I did dip a couple of chips into her sauce and it did indeed taste of curry (nasty powdery curry).

My friend who opted for fish and chips was saddened to find that her fish was not quality and that it came from a packet (probably frozen) and was not even Birdseye, more like cheap Iceland quality in breadcrumbs.

After my friends disastrous experience I was not overly shocked when my salad arrived. It consisted of some Iceberg Lettuce, a few tomato rings, some cucumber rings and some red onion. I could have gone to a Tesco and got more and a quality salad. My egg mayo was a boiled egg cut in half with a dollop of mayo on top, finished off with a sprinkle of paprika. The cheese, well that was the best, it was a Babybel with the waxed skin removed and 2 clumps of cheese the same size as the Babybel. One was white, the other orange, both with identical taste. The best thing we all agreed on were the chips.

Some of my friends complained to the waitress about the steak's quality, gristle and how it was overcooked. To her credit she apologised and was very nice. She assured us that the steak is usually the best quality and this is must have been a one off and the gristly steaks must have slipped through their butchers credit control. As for how the steaks were cooked she said the chef always makes a perfect steak. My friends who come from South Africa told her the chef clearly didn't know how to cook a steak to order. Again the waitress apologised and said chef must have had a bad day.

Now, coming from London I am used to inflated prices, but my God, Truffles really did take the biscuit (well soggy one). We all felt justifiably ripped off at poor quality and over inflated prices. We all really would not recommend this restaurant. I’m no Masterchef or even food nutritionist but I really think they need to sort out their vegetarian menu. In this day and age vegetarians are usually well catered for with a variety of nutritious and tasty meals. It does say something when a Steakhouse can not produce a descent steak!

After reading several reviews from others the gristly steak is clearly not a one off.

The bill for the six of us came to £138 the restaurant gave us 10% discount. Needless to say we will not be going back there again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank bathory999
“Perfect steaks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

On a spring mid term break with my son and his friend ,i had promised them a nice steak meal on our last night , i decided to take them to buddiez american diner but on arrival found that it as closed down,long story short i asked someone for a good steakhouse and they pointed me to truffles ,when we went in we where the only diners but i was,nt suprised as it was only 16.30, anyway i cannot fault the food one little bit ,we had a combi starter between us , then sons friend had a sirloin which covered his plate and which he said in his words was bob on , son and i both went for the t-bone mine with the scampi side, once again the plates where covered ,and i cannot rememember the last time i had a steak meal out that was that good , and i was pleasantly suprised when i asked for the bill and it was only £74 which for starter for 3, massive steak meals for 3 and 6 drinks was more than value for money,will def be calling again nxt time in blackpool

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank steviegoko
Bo'ness
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been coming here for over ten years and it has the best steaks in Blackpool, the food is always hot and freshly cooked and very tasty. I just need to walk in and my drink is on the table as I come every year at Easter as I attend a hockey festival and have been for over 25 years. The staff are excellent and very friendly and are always interested in how my hockey tournament is going. I have been at other times with my wife and other people and everybody has said the food is excellent

Visited March 2013
Wiltshire UK
“Eventful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Perhaps on one of the coldest nights of the year in a deserted Blackpool when confronted by a near full restaurant....however when the outside and decor from the front seems to be from a Fools and Horses episode of a typical Bernie inn then what can you do. We got a seat straight away. The waitress seemed to come from another decade or 4 and looked like Bo Selectas take on Scary Spice......but a lot older. But, the service was warm and genuine all served with a very real smile. The food was value for money and to be honest just what the doctor ordered.....a great atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013