“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of AJ's Bistro - CLOSED

AJ's Bistro
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Chesham, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Booked as a result of TA reviews. Surely a resto in Blackpool couldn't be that good! Blackpool? Well it was. Great food and very pleasant, bubbly service. Most of the produce is locally sourced and there's a good, reasonably priced wine list choice. The house Chilean Sauvignon with hints of pineapple came free with the set menu for two and also had a mellow Navardia Rioja. Starters of crab cake, charcuterie and one other were all very good. The lamb was perfectly cooked medium rare and chicken stuffed with Bury black pudding and baby leeks was also great. Any downsides? The toilets are down some steep stairs which wasn't easy for my elderly step mother. Being really picky I would have liked a crumbly Lancs cheese instead of one of the two blues. The biggest concern for future users is that this was the props/chef last night as they have sold to her brother and they are moving to France. It will be interesting to see if the new owner maintains the high standards that have been achieved at AJ's. Good luck in your new ventures to both outgoing and incoming owners.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Wonderful meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Found this place through Tripadviser as we weren't sure where to eat. Well what a find! There was all ready a table of 11 when we got there at 1800hrs and it was just a steady stream once we were seated. Thankfully I had booked in advance.
The hostess was fab. Nothing was too much trouble and she made you feel really welcome.
I had the fillet steak with mexican sauce. Absolutely brilliant. It just melted in the mouth and the sauce had just the right spicy heat.My partner had the lamb shank which in her words " was a meal she could have licked the plate".
There was no hovering around the table waiting to clear it, nor were you waiting too long to order the next course.
Two and a half hours later we left feeling we had just spent a great evening out. We have never taken so long over a meal with not one regret other than the fact we hadn't found this gem sooner.
Oh and if you get the chance try their own cocktail as an evening finisher. Devine.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank trucker6446
Llanaelhaearn, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Went to AJ's having seen it on Trip Advisor, service was too pushy for my liking. Food was edible, apart from my colleague's which was cold in the middle; but I don't understand why anyone would put peas, carrots and broad beans in lasagne. Not expensive, but not good.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Sam V
“Top quality food and service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

While in staying in Blackpool with my wife and two friends, we decided to eat somewhere other than our hotel. Using tripadvisor, my first choice was AJ's Bistro and what an excellent choice it was. We all made different choices from the menu and each of us thought we'd made the right choice, even the wine was excellent.
The service was friendly and amusing, and the price was reasonable by comparison with other restaurant's of a similar standard.
One of the reviews says that it is unsuitable for children, well I think that depends on what your child will eat. I saw several youngsters dining and while there isn't a "Kids" menu, they seemed happy enough to oblige, as long as they are not expected to serve up burgers and chips. If they had been, I don't expect we'd been so impressed.
We went again before leaving Blackpool and should we ever return, I've doubt we shall be eating there once more.

“great night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great restaurant in Blackpool, well worth a visit, friendly staff and great food cater, also have a great gluten free menu. will visit again when back in Blackpool

• Visited October 2012