“stayed here for two nights april 7/8th 2012”
Review of Gainsborough Hotel

Gainsborough Hotel
Ranked #758 of 859 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The good points: Our room was very basic clean linen and towels, the staff were friendly and the breakfast was good in a nice area.
The bad points: The Decor in our room was dated and shabby and wall paper was peeling of in the corner, there was an old piece of carpet on the floor in the on suite which belonged in a skip maybe there were better rooms than ours but we paid £70.00 per night so expected better.
the toilets in the bar area were disgusting and very stained in the bowl something a bottle of bleach would have rectified,so we used our room even though the seats in both were scratched and marked to hell, we are going back in June with friends to see the legends show again which was fantastic but we will not be staying at the Gainsborough,pity could be a really good hotel lacks attention to detail in some areas.

Room Tip: don't go of the pics they are misleading maybe the sea view rooms were a better standard cannot...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gainsborough Hotel

Reviewed March 14, 2012

we stayed at this hotel in march 2012 in room number 107, the very big with 2 sea view windows
and great view of the promenade.
we had nice breakfast from the buffed help your self.the staff was very good and very clean we will be going back.

Room Tip: book room no 107/ 114/ 111/112/214/ 112/ 212
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rahul B
Reviewed February 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on 28th Jan 2012 and I must admit that I was disappointed when I first saw the room. We had booked it the night before and from the pictures, the hotel looked fantastic and the rooms looked quite large. We stayed in room 108, which as someone else has already pointed out, is tiny and the shower room is also a really tight space. The shower/toilet/sink and decor were quite outdated, which we were not expecting from the pictures when we booked; and the shower had no pressure so it was just a dribble. The Window sill has a plastic covering which appears to be broken/not fixed down and this lends to the appearance of the room needing maintenance. The cups/glasses were a bit dirty and we could hear the occupants of the neighboring rooms talking. HOWEVER I found that the room and the bed were very comfortable to sleep in and it stayed nice and warm all night. The breakfast was delicious and the owners were friendly. We were going to book a deluxe double in order to secure a sea view (at £80) but we decided to just book a normal double (at £55) and room 108 turned out to be a sea view anyway!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank katemichelle1987
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in early December as we thought we would have a short break before the christmas period, we were sorry we bothered, we should have stayed at home. We arrived at the hotel only to be told the room we booked was not available, however, it would be available after the occupants left the following day. Given that we were only stayng 3 nights and the check out time being 10.00 am we would be able to change rooms at lunchtime the following day, changing rooms would not have been an option as we intended to go shopping early morning and did not want to hang around until the original room was cleaned ect. We were offered no discount for the first evening and we were asked to pay the balance on arriving at the hotel. The floor in our room was so uneven it made me feel sea sick, the window in the bathroom was hanging out and would not close properly and it was so cold I wore a towelling dressing gown to bed. There was no food available other than the breakfast that was served at 9 to 9.30 am. The hot water tap i the bathroom only provided cold water. The sea view could only be seen if you strained your neck to look out the rather high window. During our stay we met 2 other couples who said they would never return to this hotel, one of these couples had water coming through the ceiling in their room. When we complained about the cold room we were given an electric heater. We had no clean towels given throughout our stay, this place is a nightmare come true. Something needs to be done about this hotel, I feel this hotel has a few good rooms, however, when they have quite a few bookings they place people in rooms that shoud be condemned. No entertainment, a freezing cold bar, no food available, and the breakfast was reasonable if it had not have been that the fried eggs were swimmiing in fat.. Please Please believe me you do not want to book this hotel, The good reviews are either untrue or the writers of the reviews have had one of the good rooms. Our experience of this hotel has really made us more careful in booking hotels we have not seen. Having had time to think about our exoerience we should have went to another hotel, however, as we paid a deposit when we booked and the balance prior to seeing te room, we definately made a mistake. I have never felt so strong about anywhere we have stayed and my previous reviews show that we are quite fair in writing our review, but I would urge you to not book this hotel or if you do book it do'nt pay anything until check-out. I could write a lot more but really do not want to dwell on this experience for to long as it brings back horrible memories of our stay at this hotel.. I really hope this review helps as I would not want anyone to have a short break ruined by people who do not care for others and are only interested in what money they can make at the expense of others. I would also add that it is only the hotel that has a problem not Blackpool.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank WalesBlodwen
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I frequently stay at hotels, a different hotel every 3 or 4 weeks at least and have never found the need to write in trip adviser. I felt that I must howevever make people aware that the hotel room that we booked was not the one that we booked and that there is false representation on the internet.The room number108 was so small that the only place we had enough room to get dressed was where the door opened.There was no wardrobe as one would not fit in the room, just a rail. The bathroom was also the smallest I've ever seen in my life, you even had to leave the door open to bend down to the sink when using it. the shower pressure is also still poor and the towels still small as reviewed by other people earlier.The size of the room put a damper on the whole weekend break and if I'm quite honest we were desperate to leave.
To be fair the room was newly decorated andclean and the manager and his family and the Irish girl at breakfast time were very hospitable.

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you pay on the internet
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chancychancy
Reviewed November 16, 2011

after reading other reviews feel shocked at them,thought trip advisor was a review for this hotel not blackpool!!! we have stayed at this hotel many times, as a couple or with family. owners are very friendly, always accomadating, breaskfast is lovely, something for every one to eat, alot of choice. stayed in other hotels in blackpool but always feel welcome here. mr lovatt stoke on trent

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on speck for 2 nights on 26th october 2011 and what a pleasant hotel, the rooms were clean, furniture fine, beds comfortable, bedding as you would expect clean & crisp. The owners went out of their way to make our short stay as perfect as we would hope for. The walls of the rooms were thick so no other noise from ajoining rooms. The entertainment was good with singers that were very professional the hotel bar charges reasonable prices. The breakfast ,well I can only say perfect what a brill start to day! tea or coffee bought to your table then its help yourself to cereals and buffet with all you can eat fresh well cooked food with everyting to make your breakfast enjoyable..
Will be definatley returning to this hotel. Well done Gainsborough Hotel I give 9+ stars

Room Tip: Choose this hotel for excellent value
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family