“Totally dreadful!”

Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Totally dreadful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at the Beechfield this weekend, wish I'd slept on the streets, it would have been nicer! The welcome was appalling as the staff did not know their bottom from their elbow. Myself and the large group I was with found the staff sarcastic, miserable (but at least they could return home that night), unhelpful and aggressive in manner and tone. Especially the older woman who should know better, as she terrified the children who were with us!

The twin room I stayed in was small (my bathroom at home is bigger and I live in a terraced house, not a mansion) Although the carpet did look fairly new, the room was dark, oppressive and smelly. The brown bedding was from the 70's, I doubted the cleanliness and chose to sleep in my clothes. The bathroom was like a bush tucker trial from I'm a celebrity...... It was very poorly lit, god help you if you are bigger than a small child, as you will struggle to navigate yourself from the loo to the sink. I would advise you to brush your teeth in the bedroom area as you could potentially swallow your toothbrush if you bang your elbow on the walls while aiming for the sink. I did venture into the shower area, but the pubic hairs stuck on the tiles, cold water, mould, smell, lack of energy from the shower head and the prospect of showering vurtually in the dark, persuaded me to have a baby wipe wash in the room.

The room was very hot, so I opened the cat flap sized window, only to smell cooking fat and fag smoke wafting from the back yard below. Nice!

Some parts of the hotel were acceptable if you have low standards, and the location to Blackpool centre does compensate for the smell of cheesy, fishy sweat which does go away after a few glasses of wine.

The breakfast was disgusting. Again we encountered the older woman who should know better, who was at least consistent, with her rude, grumpy, vexed manner. The cold toast was delivered to our table by children, a small boy and a girl, who also asked what we wanted for breakfast. The breakfast room was surprisingly busy, so when the waiter did arrive he was flustered, and gave us several more rounds of cold toast. I think the waiter also doubled as a comedian, as someone in our party asked for tomatoes with their breakfast, only to be told " it's the wrong day for tomatoes, and we don't do mushrooms or scrambled egg either". All of the breakfast had been deep fried until it was truly cremated so we chose a McDonald breakfast.

Please do not stay here. I don't know where the reviewers who praised the hotel were staying, or how much they have been paid to leave such feedback. No-one in my party enjoyed the stay, the hotel, the staff or the food, which was a real shame as the weekend away had been planned for sometime, and booked from the feedback left.

I do not expect 5 star, gold standard hotel service in Blacpool, but basic hygiene, safety and friendliness is a must if you are to run a family hotel. Overall, a total let down for us all! :(

• Stayed November 2012
6 Thank martin s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here for the first time with 3 other family members. The hotel is smart, clean and the has a lovely welcoming atmosphere. Julie the manager went out of her way to make sure we had a good time, always making us giggle. There was always someone on hand to help with local information on what to do where to go. The rooms were lovely and very clean ( I have stayed in the more expensive hotels and they haven't been this clean ). The chef was really nice and she always made sure the food was cooked how you liked it.
I am booked for next year and would definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for a clean and cheery place to stay in Blackpool. Thanks for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: All the people I spoke to in the hotel said there rooms were lovely so can reccomend all.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Milton Keynes UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were a party of 8 dancers visiting Blackpool for the World Professional Ballroom championships in the Winter Gardens on Sunday afternoon which were wonderful.
Stayed Saturday and Sunday night and like other reviewers found the mattress springs very quickly! Breakfast was adequate with plenty of choices and served nicely. Bar area badly affected by large noisy TV. Free WiFi works ok. Tea and coffee making in room but bring your own milk.
3% charge on credit card a bit cheeky so used debit card and they are anxious for payment which is probably typical for Blackpool. At £57 per person for two nights Band B and free parking is good.
Rode the new tram up to Fleetwood and back which is a good way to see the seafront in mid November, danced on Saturday night at a church hall in Bispham and were made very welcomeand danced from 1100am until 3pm in the Tower Ballroom on the Monday. The High Tea they serve here is a real experience Otherwise there is nothing else to see/do in this town. La Fontana is a good Italian restaurant in the centre.

Room Tip: Check out room before paying.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Saxmundham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My stay started badly with a very abrupt receptionist(Who did not appear again during our stay?) Food at times was poor including lumpy mash potatoes on the last night which was served with the roast beef!!? Bathroom was the smallest I have seen in travelling in the UK and europe for the last 30+ years!! Hard bed and poor lighting.The entertainment was not too bad and breakfast was better than the evening meals. Will not be going there again!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Robert G
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Good location, definitely a 'Blackpool' hotel but reasonable for it. Decoration dated and mattresses have springs - you can feel most of them.
Good breakfast (bring your onesie!), thin doors, noisy bar. Certainly not the worst place we've ever stayed in Blackpool.

• Stayed November 2012
Bridgend, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was my seceond visit we arrived to a cramped room not big enough for the 4 beds that had been crammed in, the bathrooms are in desperate need of modernisation and the matteresses are truely awful. We found the service in the dining room very slow, and had to ask each morning for toast and tea/coffee trying to catch the eye of the staff was a task in itself and my husband got up from the table to approach them and was told the waitress would be with us shortly....... she never came over to our table and we left without our toast.
I am really sad to say that this experience has put me off returning next year, the owners really need to think about refurbishing the bathrooms not just painting the bedrooms, and please put some coat hangers in the bedrooms 6 coathangers for 4 people is a joke so I went out and bought my own. Try looking after your regular guests and put them in your best rooms. :-(

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quieter but avoid room 54 if there are 4 of you
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah G
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I cannot believe the reviews I have just read, unless they show a different attitude towards individual guests. We were on a Turkey & Tinsel tour staying at the Beechfield hotel for 5 days.
The food was of poor quality and the presentation of it was thrown on the plate. I believe this was the first time they had a T & T coach party because nothing resembled Christmas except on Wednesday evening when a cracker & a hat were put on the table.
As for the welcome on arrival, there were two women behind the reception desk and were not at all pleasant.
My advice to anyone thinking of going to the Beechfield hotel on a coach tour would be. THINK AGAIN AND DON'T BOOK.
I cannot recall seeing the owners[Julie & Pete} as one review called them. If they were about they certainly didn't introduce themselves.

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends