All reviews great site toilet block five minute walk lake windermere pubs and restaurants great location braithwaite warden facilities
Selected filters
Reviewed August 22, 2019

We are a retired couple and are travelling the uk in our motor home. Members of the caravan & motorhome club and Brit Stops. We have met the nicest kindest people so far on our travels until we came here and tried to book in. Its a Wednesday and yes I know it's the school holidays but they wanted £48 for one night! Talk about cashing in! We can't afford that and knowing we would struggle to find anything in Windermere we knew we would have to Brit Stop or park up. I told her i was doing a tour ofvthe lakes for my 83 year old mother as her aunt had lived in windermere all our life and i left. But our toilet cassette was full, so we took the liberty of emptying in their set up facility, it was a 5 minute job. The female staff member came out and gave me a right telling off, made me feel terrible! " you shouldn't be doing that, youre not staying here" she said, I apologised and said I had tried to but it was too expensive and offered to pay but she was so jobsworth and rude it was upsetting. Now on reflection I am furious, it's tainted my experience of windermere, I pay my water rates the same as anyone else does and it was so over the top. If this woman is the face of the caravan and camping club I will never stay at their sites. I would like to ask her if she has ever got caught short and used the toilet in a pub or a cafe and not bought a drink?  Kindness goes a long way!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2019

Great location with the most helpful staff who saved our recent holiday from utter despair after we were evacuated from Keswick. Their understanding and care was second to none and I cannot thank them enough nor praise their experience in the field which is quite exceptional. Wonderful site, clean and close to Bowness.

Reviewed August 13, 2019

Location is great for bowness.
Tents should not be advertised for this site as the pitches are right by front enterance are not protected or very secure whatsoever, we felt like we we the wardens or security guards.
There are no security cameras and no way of stopping unwanted evening "visitors" as we witnessed this first hand by having to get two young foreign lads to leave the site at 11pm. I will mention that the official warden came to lock the barrier and this was mentioned to him so he did go and find the two lads and moved them on. The barrier stops vehicles not anyone on foot so is really unsecure.

Our tent was directly by the entrance sign and on what can only be described as dog poop path, with dog poo bins in site and where (some) other residents allowed their dogs to poop without cleaning it up, just disgusting, unpleasant and stunk.

For £40 pn for a piece of grass with no electric hook up I truly expected more, and not of the excrement variety!!

Seriously considering not continuing with the CCC membership as most sites seem like this.

Bad experience although a great location.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2019

At the moment this is the same lovely caravan site that we are used to. Yes everything is a bit cramped without much space between units with a toilet block from the 1950's with limited (number wise) facilities but location wise it is wonderful. Right on the edge of town but within five minutes walk into Bowness what could be better. Lovely sunshine for most of our seven night stay Braithwaite Fold is a gem. At the moment. I don’t know when but no doubt sometime soon the ‘new part’ of the site will be adopted – 27 more pitches just waiting for more happy campers. But will they be happy? I'm not so sure because there is no new toilet/facilities block and no doubt said campers will be using the same facilities as are there at present – four showers, five toilets, four washrooms – hardly luxurious both in numbers and condition No new reception area either not to mention extra staff to service this extension. One very serious problem which I would not be happy at all with is that the new part backs onto the very busy A592 with all the noise and pollution that brings. Seriously, I would not want to pay nearly £200 a week to end up next to that road. I have neither heard nor read anything from the CCC about their intended plans if indeed they do have any or, as a number of concerned members have asked – is the whole site going to be taken over by the local council who actually own it ?

Date of stay: June 2019
Reviewed July 8, 2019

Excellent location in bowness. Easy walk round lake windermere into bowness. Immaculately kept site. Pitches a little close together but the location more than makes up for that. It was our 2nd visit we will be going again next year.

Date of stay: May 2019