“Friday afternoon tea”

Ranked #30 of 78 Restaurants in Windermere
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I booked afternoon tea at 15:00 for myself and my fiance-to-be after escaping Manchester on the Friday.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS - Impressive large country house on the hillside with lovely view over Windermere. Parking outside the house is very limited and taken by large Mercedes and alike. As a result I had to go back down the hill and park my old banger in the overflow car park which was almost completely empty, yet I managed to to parking space right next to the septic tank...
We received a warm welcome when finally ariving and were seated at a bay window overlooking the lake in a small drawing room. This offered comfort and privacy.

SERVICE - very enthusiastic. Some staff seemed a little nervous and I imagine were quite new. Always courteous and helpful. Having worked briefly in a place with snobby customers myself, I think they were doing very well (better than I did). We were the only people in the room and there were long times when we were left alone. As a result we had to go and ask for the bill in the end, but it is a hard balance to acheive when you are offering a couple time alone while trying to be attentive. We were checked on early on to make sure everything was to our liking though.
I am embarassed to admit that I did not leave a tip! I think standard gratuity was well earned and I have become used to a gratuity option on card machines. Holbeck Ghyll's card machine did not offer this and I was caught short. I shall make sure there is a next time and be more prepared.

FOOD - All the usual suspects were there for afternoon tea and in good proportions for an indulgent sitting without being defeated by it.

OVERALL IMPRESSSION - well worth a trip and at £18 for full afternoon tea I think good value for money. The setting and the view make HG stand out from other competitiors. Would definitely recommend and go back (leaving a tip this time)

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Had a lunch here with my fiance and was just amazing. Great food, perfect service (especially Slovakian waiter) and stunning views of the lake...We will be back!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

All the courses were splendid and faultless. The lamb was delicious but each course was good. A great wine list to choose from just gilded the lily.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Perfect in every way. Food was fantastic, one of the best resturants we have eaten in, and we have been lucky enough to eat at some amazing places. We had the gourmet menu, and was worth the extra money for both the food and experience. The service was great, attentive but not over the top. We were made to feel very special, in a very relaxed way. The meal was to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, and I honestly don't think I could fault it!!

1  Thank Sally B
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Brilliant service, unbelievable views and probably the best chef in this area. If you try the food here I believe you will be back very soon. Excellent is not enough to say.

4  Thank MULCASTER2